Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JPG Quality / Compression

hover

Reaction score
Anafi JPG images show significant jpg compression artifacts. Looking at the file size, it seems that the JPG quality is pretty low due to very high compression.

Average image sizes of one and the same object:
- Anafi (21 MP): 4.7 MB
- Phantom 4 Pro (20 MP): 8.3 MB
- Mavic Air (12 MP): 7.8 MB

Why does Parrot apply such an aggressive JPG compression?
Of course one can shoot in RAW/DNG, however, the file size literally explodes to > 40 MB (!) and the shooting interval drops to 1 image / 5 sec.

21 MP on a tiny 1/2.4 sensor is bound to have problems in the photos even when shooting raw.
However the sensor size isn't as big of a problem for video.
You're right that is a lot of compression!
You really do need to shoot in RAW/DNG at least to try to get a better result!

I agree with Hover, I'm a bit disapointing about JPG quality, I bought a Parrot Anafi because the camera seemed to be very good and the DNG was a plus comparing to Spark. But today I noticed that the DNG is mostly unusless due to the lens distortion and the quality is not much better than JPG. Sometimes even warst. I don't think it's about a compression trouble but a sensor size problem becouse the artifacts and the sharpness are the same. In the picture in the left the DNG opened with camera raw with lens correction and a bit of hightlight control, on the right the native JPG "neutral". Now I want to check what happen with P-LOG. Does anybody tried this with pictures?
Thanks

Attachments

• dng_JPG comparison.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
I agree with Hover, I'm a bit disapointing about JPG quality, I bought a Parrot Anafi because the camera seemed to be very good and the DNG was a plus comparing to Spark. But today I noticed that the DNG is mostly unusless due to the lens distortion and the quality is not much better than JPG. Sometimes even warst. I don't think it's about a compression trouble but a sensor size problem becouse the artifacts and the sharpness are the same. In the picture in the left the DNG opened with camera raw with lens correction and a bit of hightlight control, on the right the native JPG "neutral". Now I want to check what happen with P-LOG. Does anybody tried this with pictures?
Thanks

Hello.

Yes just as good a video quality is, just as bad the quality of still images. I have not tried to record in p-log as the camera makes a good color balance in my eyes, set to natural. I suppose it's a bad lens res that causes the camera to makes such a good video picture.

Lens distortion is terrible on still images (JPG+DNG). In addition to the common barrel distortion, there will also be bicycle mustache on top when correcting for barrel distortion. I do not know how that can be corrected in the programs I have at my disposal. It does not look good if the horizon happens to be in the most uneven place on the lens in a flat Danish landscape. :mad: I hope there is a brave man who at one point dares to change the lens with a better one.

I attach two pictures. One before lens correction and one after correction for barrel distortion alone.

Regards Leif.

xxx-01.jpgxxx-02.jpg

That grid is far too close to the camera. It should be positioned roughly the same distance as objects you shoot when flying. I find the Nikkon Coolpix P330 profile in lightroom pretty good.

1533758582196.png

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
That grid is far too close to the camera. It should be positioned roughly the same distance as objects you shoot when flying. I find the Nikkon Coolpix P330 profile in lightroom pretty good.

View attachment 122

No, I'm very sure you are mistaken where the matrix should be set. It must be set to fill the entire image sensor. In fact, my shot should have the matrix a bit closer and better aligned on the left side. However, it is not important to note what I feared. ;)

It's not wise to compare the lens on your Nikon camera with the cheap one sitting on an Parrot Anafi.

I am also aware there are/is no lens profiles for a Parrot Anafi camera.

Regards Leif.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame