Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LED Lights to Aid Daytime Visibility

That was a factor in my decision of how many LED's and where to mount them. The figure below from Firehouse shows that brightness stays reasonably high (90-100%) until you exceed 25 degrees. Another 25 degrees (for a total of 50) and you are at 55% light light intensity.

One light mounted to the bottom won't be very visible if you are 1600 ft away and 400 ft high. In that scenario, your angle is only 15 degrees and the amt of light intensity is very low at 25% (or less). This strobe max brightness is 600 lumens so you would be at 150 lumens or less. Triangle Calculator

Ideally, you need one on every side of the Anafi. I had considered a top 3D printed clip to snap over rear batter, sides, and just behind the giball from the top -- with three LEDs to cover the sides and rear. And then a fourth up front below the gimball. Using 4 arc lights and plastic mounts would weigh over 30 grams. Or you could use strobon LEDs (one cree/battery each) and get down to 20 grams.

To reduce weight and complexity, I chose to put one on the front and one on the back and angled downward slightly from the horizon. Two arcs/mounts and about 15 grams total. When the Anafi it flying away from me it's easier to keep track so I put the red flasher (has slightly lower light intensity vs white) on the rear. My biggest challenge is turning when the anafi is far away. The bright white on the front will help me find it when returning. But, unfortunately, neither of these will be visible from far away if the anafi is flying perpendicular to me. Need additional side mounted lights for that.

You could still try a bottom mount to assess if it's helpful or not. The new Arc V has 1000 Lumens of output so bottom-mounted could still deliver 250 lumens at more extreme side angles. However, the really bright strobes like the one used here are nearly 1/2" thick and there's very little clearance beneath anafit to mount it. Need leg extensions, or this mount that I've designedcould be modified to clip in the same area (or both sides) and aim straight down. You lose ground clearance as you travel from just behind the gimball to further toward the bottom side center of the anafit so it has to stay just behind but near the gimball and might obstruct a downward camera angle.

View attachment 5104
You didn't really understand what I was writing. i know the LED flashes in a relatively narrow range, but here are 2 solutions to do this and thus avoid installing and turning on many LED panels one at a time. Higher cost, higher weight.Light.jpg

You didn't really understand what I was writing. i know the LED flashes in a relatively narrow range, but here are 2 solutions to do this and thus avoid installing and turning on many LED panels one at a time. Higher cost, higher weight.View attachment 5107
OK gotcha. I've not seen anything available like your first example. WRT the second example, the new firehouse Arc V claims to have a lens that refracts better to the side. But the pct light vs angle was published by them for the Arc V so assume whatever lens refraction benefit they have is already accounted for in their data.

OK gotcha. I've not seen anything available like your first example. WRT the second example, the new firehouse Arc V claims to have a lens that refracts better to the side. But the pct light vs angle was published by them for the Arc V so assume whatever lens refraction benefit they have is already accounted for in their data.
Here are some examples of how to solve it with a single LED on the bottom of the Anafi:

I use these on my Anafi and Mavic Mini very bright just a small velcro dot is all the is needed: From Amazon very light weight

Super Mini Small Tiny Keychain Flashlight, Smallest Bright Key Ring Light Torch for EDC Emergency Dog Walking Sleeping Reading Gift for Student Kids or Parents (e1-alu alloy black2 pack)

The rear RED is just a dog lite with a 3d printed holder You can also change the light to white or any color they come in. I posted a 3d file about a year ago with details.

Simple and they work visbility is enhanced greatly

The white and black device is my Trackimo tracker never leave the ground without it.

Attachments

• 20201126_185551.jpg
    20201126_185551.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201126_185125.jpg
    20201126_185125.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I updated the design to handle any GoPro style mounted accessory and located a much better lighting system. Mounting comes off in seconds.

I would not put my GoPro MAXX 360 on here because of weight limitations, however this whole rig weighs under 56g with the light and mount.

Attachments

• 20211019_152735.jpg
    20211019_152735.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211019_152709.jpg
    20211019_152709.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211019_153709.jpg
    20211019_153709.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 9
Don't forget that lights draw attention to your drone and hater privacy/noise complaints from people who hate rec drone flying always follow.

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
I updated the design to handle any GoPro style mounted accessory and located a much better lighting system. Mounting comes off in seconds.

I would not put my GoPro MAXX 360 on here because of weight limitations, however this whole rig weighs under 56g with the light and mount.
How well does it fly with the added weight? Can you estimate how much less flight time you achieve?

I am in the middle of designing a 3d printed battery cover to allow for larger/heavier batteries. It would be helpful to see how the Anafi flies with your added 56g.
Thanks.anafi battery cover.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar