Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Leg Joint Support - New Idea

Thank you Liger 1956. I like your clip design. Printed a few for my new Anafi. They are lightweight, fit well and seem to provide reinforcement and support for the top of the legs. I also printed some of the other designs at thingiverse and didn't like they way they fit.
Glad that you like it.

I have read of the joint at the end of the Anafi's leg above the foot being a weak point and that some people having to resort to gluing it together after a hard landing which broke the clip. I did look at buying the 'Landing Leg Protectors, from Dirty J Designs but they wanted $13 to ship a $10 part to the UK. As I have a 3D printer I looked on Thingiverse, which is a depository for 3D designs, and found a similar thing. I printed it out but I was still not happy with the design and the fact that it was quite heavy and covered the rubber feet. As I print in ABS this would mean that I would have reduced friction between the Anafi and the landing surface.

It was then that my mechanical engineering design background took over and I decided to try to design and print a different version. Looking at the Anafi I found that the feet have cutouts that are tapezoid in shape (the long sides are not quite parrallel) near to the joint. I thought that I could use these to support the weak joint and after a number of prototypes where I refined the dimensions i have ended up with a design that I think looks good, should work and is lighter than other designs (each support weighs 1.4g - 0.05oz each). I would be interested in how much the Dirty J Design Leg Protectors weigh. I used an Acetone cold vapour smoothing process to remove the layer lines from the print and end up with a glossy surface. What are the forum members views on my design? Do you like it and do you have any suggestions as to how it can be improved?

View attachment 2030 View attachment 2031 View attachment 2033 View attachment 2029 View attachment 2032

Previously I have also designed a support for my phone that slips over the controller's arm and stops the phone coming lose at the bottom. When I removed the weights from the controller I found that it tipped over when set down so I created a verion 2 that has legs to prevent this. These work well and I am always looking for new things to 3D print.

View attachment 2035
I really like your design and it has the big advantage of not taking up much room in the case. I currently have 2 sets I use when I am about do something dumb with my drone. One is an extended leg also covers most of the joint. It sort of fits in the case.

The other is based on this: Anafi Parrot - Propeller Guard by Romayiii

It works well and also helps keep the drone safe if it tips over on landing but it won't fit in the regular extended case. I chopped and changed it to fit on my smaller 3d printer.
I posted the remix if anyone is interested, Chopped and scaled Anafi leg guard to fit on MP Delta Mini by tlyons

48ed6952fac0f68e3d2e38d8dffd8ff2_preview_card.jpg

I really like your design and it has the big advantage of not taking up much room in the case. I currently have 2 sets I use when I am about do something dumb with my drone. One is an extended leg also covers most of the joint. It sort of fits in the case.

The other is based on this: Anafi Parrot - Propeller Guard by Romayiii

It works well and also helps keep the drone safe if it tips over on landing but it won't fit in the regular extended case. I chopped and changed it to fit on my smaller 3d printer.
I posted the remix if anyone is interested, Chopped and scaled Anafi leg guard to fit on MP Delta Mini by tlyons

48ed6952fac0f68e3d2e38d8dffd8ff2_preview_card.jpg
The only problem with this is that it is not recommended for outdoor use (only in absolute wind silence) because it increases the chances of the wind throwing or pushing. It reduces flight time and makes you sensitive to wind.
I know this because as a beginner, I always used it on my DJI Spark (which I redesigned and printed). After I left I was much prettier and flew on.

Can you share your stl files for the phone supports you designed as well? Thanks.
I have updated the links in my thread on phone supports. I have also created a version with a slightly longer platform that is a better fit for the Motorola Moto G8 phone that I bought earlier this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut