Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lost Cat

BenMcCormick

Reaction score
Could the Anafi thermal pick up the heat signature of a cat from above?
Someone next to our neighborhood, in the Nextdoor App, lost their cat and asked if someone with a drone could help find him.
I'm afraid a normal drone wouldn't have much of a chance. The cat I saw while flying my drone was under a bush, and the drone wouldn't have helped, as the cat was within
eyesight anyway.

Not too familiar with the Anafi Thermal, but going by previous experiences, yes should be able to pick up a heat signature.

A lot would also depend on how far away from the cat the drone is, but even a week signature would allow you to travel towards it and get a better look.

You are going to run into some serious problems with your target and the Anafi's low resolution FLIR Lepton sensor.

This time of year the cat is going to be the same temperature as a lot of the background you are looking at.
If the cat is blocked by leaves, and branches the thermal will not be able to see the cat unless there are gaps in the leaves and branches. Thermal does not see through things like the movies.
The Lepton sensor has a hard time picking up people at anything over 100 feet, so the cat will amplify this.
Scenarios where the Anafi could see the cat are probably going to be the same scenarios where you would see it on the RGB camera.
Here are some RJPEGs taken with my Cat S61 phone which has the same exact Lepton 3.5 sensor in it.

Image 1 - There's a large crow under the spot meter. Only MSX helps to see it. Taken at 75 feet

flir_20200615T165659.jpg

Image 2 - There is a person walking by on the sidewalk obscured by trees. I have no idea where he is, but he's in there. Taken at 75 feet

flir_20200615T165805.jpg

Image 3 - There a person directly below the spot meter. Only MSX helps to see him. Taken at 75 feet

flir_20200615T165812.jpg

Image 4 - There's a person in the spot meter. The resolution here is hurting really bad. The spot meter is made up of 10 pixels, and since they are such large pixels they have temperature data in them from not only the person by also his surroundings.

flir_20200615T165821.jpg

Image 5 - In the shade under the tree you would most likely see the cat at 75 feet, but then again your RGB would too.

flir_20200615T165556.jpg

We also tested the Anafi Thermal at work. We had a lifeguard swim out and tread water. We placed the Anafi at 150 ft AGL and tried to see the lifeguard. We could not. A vendor then hovered near us with a Matrice 210 with Z30 and XT2 640. We could see the lifeguard's fingers or should I say finger LOL.

If it was cold outside and you kept under 100ft AGL and the leaves were off the trees, you would have a decent chance finding the cat if it was in the woods. This time of year you would need a cool summer night and luck to find it.

Attachments

• flir_20200615T165805.jpg
    flir_20200615T165805.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood