Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lowlight panorama comparison

I have just recently started using a photo editor so am pretty new to this process. Have started with the free program from Nikon (Capture NX-D) because our DSLR is a Nikon. Remarkable the difference it can make!

With regards to editing a sphere, I was playing with that earlier today (I’m retired) and found it quite interesting. I have, however, initially loaded one on Kuula just to see how it works. Very cool!
Good on you, Kev! (y) You need to edit RAW files, not jpeg's. jpeg's are already compressed & lack the information to edit properly.

I was blown away when I loaded my first 360 pano on Kuula & it came out right! I initially thought it wasn't assembled correctly as it was just a giant rectangle when I uploaded it, but then Kuula did it's magic & lo & behold there it was! Complete with stitching errors! :eek:

Reactions: Kevredhead
Good on you, Kev! (y) You need to edit RAW files, not jpeg's. jpeg's are already compressed & lack the information to edit properly.

I was blown away when I loaded my first 360 pano on Kuula & it came out right! I initially thought it wasn't assembled correctly as it was just a giant rectangle when I uploaded it, but then Kuula did it's magic & lo & behold there it was! Complete with stitching errors! :eek:
I had the same feeling before uploading to Kuula (being nothing but a rectangle). I was really tickled ?it worked out well myself! Really neat stuff. Gotta love technology!

With regards to editing RAW files vs. jpeg files, I’ve done some of both. When I first downloaded the program last week, I was wanting to learn how to use certain functions. So I practiced on some jpegs (albeit not as many items to tweak based on not having the RAW file). I was surprised that it even seemed to make a fair difference on them with regards to some daytime photos I took last year that were sort of washed out looking due to the sort of bright, yet at the same time gray, day. So tweaking the highlights and shadows, along with increasing the sharpness in the “unmask” section and the brightness and contrast, seemed to make it look a lot better (albeit to my untrained eye, lol). But I do understand what you mean with regards to jpegs already being compressed and know it constrains the final results.

Really just getting into editing the RAW (or DNG in Nikon’s case) files. So far only made the same type of changes but will be playing with the other available parameters as I get more familiar with them. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
With regards to editing RAW files vs. jpeg files, I’ve done some of both. When I first downloaded the program last week, I was wanting to learn how to use certain functions. So I practiced on some jpegs (albeit not as many items to tweak based on not having the RAW file). I was surprised that it even seemed to make a fair difference on them with regards to some daytime photos I took last year that were sort of washed out looking due to the sort of bright, yet at the same time gray, day. So tweaking the highlights and shadows, along with increasing the sharpness in the “unmask” section and the brightness and contrast, seemed to make it look a lot better (albeit to my untrained eye, lol). But I do understand what you mean with regards to jpegs already being compressed and know it constrains the final results.

Really just getting into editing the RAW (or DNG in Nikon’s case) files. So far only made the same type of changes but will be playing with the other available parameters as I get more familiar with them. Thanks for the tip!
It's addictive once you get to grips with it & nowhere near as scary or complicated as some people try to make it seem!

You're on the right track already, keep at it.

A jpeg can definitely be revived, but there are clear limits to opening shadows, sharpening, etc... They are pretty obvious & it sounds like you are aware already.

Enjoy it all, Kev! I look forward to seeing you share some of your work with us here. :cool:

Reactions: Kevredhead

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut