Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Moded Controllers - Anyone

Double2Seven

Reaction score
Ive seen some mods on controllers to up hte distance and forget about the FCC not being available in Europe.

Assembly link :

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

Ive also seen this adapted to parrot sky controller by someone on this Forum :

Who has moded controlers and could share their wisdom :) ?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 21
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 21
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 21
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 19
I don’t have any experience of “modding” a drone controller (never felt the need to) but I do have a lot of experience in microwave RF technology as a retired RADAR and Satcom Engineer, and to be honest most claims are total BS.

The chap who puts amplifiers into the controllers is a “tune for maximum smoke” merchant. He applies next to no filtering in his mods and some of his claims are both mathematically and physically incorrect.

Modding the antenna does have some credibility, and is significantly cheaper, safer, and more effective. But there are often sacrifices. The antennas do not amplify but rather divert/direct the available energy in a particular direction and plane. The antenna you link to would be optimum if the receiving antenna on the model was also circular polarised but as it’s a linear antenna significant losses are present from the getgo. The quoted gain figures are also a little misleading, The term “dBi” is in reference to a theoretical isotropic radiator, one that radiates equally in all directions, where as the antenna it is meant to replace is a dipole which has a gain of 2.4dB above the isotropic reference.

When fabricating antennas for microwave applications tolerances become very tight, and the materials used can be very expensive, to minimise the increased losses. An antenna like the one you linked to will have some increased performance, in one direction, over the standard dipole on the controller, but as it’s made from cheap copper wire on a non-specific plastic former the difference will be far less than the live changing claims.

Nidge.

I don’t have any experience of “modding” a drone controller (never felt the need to) but I do have a lot of experience in microwave RF technology as a retired RADAR and Satcom Engineer, and to be honest most claims are total BS.

The chap who puts amplifiers into the controllers is a “tune for maximum smoke” merchant. He applies next to no filtering in his mods and some of his claims are both mathematically and physically incorrect.

Modding the antenna does have some credibility, and is significantly cheaper, safer, and more effective. But there are often sacrifices. The antennas do not amplify but rather divert/direct the available energy in a particular direction and plane. The antenna you link to would be optimum if the receiving antenna on the model was also circular polarised but as it’s a linear antenna significant losses are present from the getgo. The quoted gain figures are also a little misleading, The term “dBi” is in reference to a theoretical isotropic radiator, one that radiates equally in all directions, where as the antenna it is meant to replace is a dipole which has a gain of 2.4dB above the isotropic reference.

When fabricating antennas for microwave applications tolerances become very tight, and the materials used can be very expensive, to minimise the increased losses. An antenna like the one you linked to will have some increased performance, in one direction, over the standard dipole on the controller, but as it’s made from cheap copper wire on a non-specific plastic former the difference will be far less than the live changing claims.

Nidge.

What about these makeshift reflectors with tinfoil, does that make any sense in the case of the wifi/Anafi ?

This guy claims he flew more than 7 kilometers away with the Anafi...

Or is this "record" only about the modded app and perfectly ideal conditions, flat terrain, no trees, no other EM/wifi anywhere around ? If the tinfoil reflector is adding something to the mix, it looks like the shape could be improved ?

Isn't it ? Well, in July 2020 it will become a hell for droning, with those new EU regulations coming, you now need to keep your drone in sight all the time, under 120 meters elevation, pass a test, and declare yourself in a database, even for a small drone like the Anafi and recreational activities !

Back to the reflector, I wonder what material Parrot uses behind the drone's antennas... a larger sheet of that material would be ideal to form a curved surface behind the controler's antenna (maybe there is already a small reflector inside the controler's antenna...) also the distance between the antenna and reflector is most likely also important ?

Isn't it ? Well, in July 2020 it will become a hell for droning, with those new EU regulations coming, you now need to keep your drone in sight all the time, under 120 meters elevation, pass a test, and declare yourself in a database, even for a small drone like the Anafi and recreational activities !

Back to the reflector, I wonder what material Parrot uses behind the drone's antennas... a larger sheet of that material would be ideal to form a curved surface behind the controler's antenna (maybe there is already a small reflector inside the controler's antenna...) also the distance between the antenna and reflector is most likely also important ?

Thanks, I did find a few threads about reflectors, but not this one. So 6 kilometers is with the original CE app, that's impressive ! and 7,5 kil with FF mod. That said, some users describe a lesser range with their DIY refletor...

I just found one of those aluminium tub about the right size, in my basement :

aluminium_tub.jpg

but I imagine something with a much "cleaner" surface and more regular parabolic curve. At least this one could be used as a hat... or maybe just a cap...

I wonder what material Parrot uses for the leg's reflectors, it doesn't even looks metallic, if one of those RF engineers here could give a hint, that would be great ?

Actually homemade reflectors have been used a lot in the earlier days of hobby flying. Some were even made from egg cartons lined with tin foil.

I can believe that, I just tried the aluminum tub, and the signal goes really farther ! But from my single experiment, I'd say that as soon as there is RF noise, obstacles, the gain is lost.

I'm surprised no one is selling a reflector made in a material similar to Anafi's reflectors, with a clean, and more scientific design ? Nobody would notice it, unlike these homemade tinfoil horrors (I HAD TO quickly remove it, before 2 young riders came near me)...

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I can believe that, I just tried the aluminum tub, and the signal goes really farther ! But from my single experiment, I'd say that as soon as there is RF noise, obstacles, the gain is lost.

I'm surprised no one is selling a reflector made in a material similar to Anafi's reflectors, with a clean, and more scientific design ? Nobody would notice it, unlike these homemade tinfoil horrors (I HAD TO quickly remove it, before 2 young riders came near me)...

If you had worn your tin foil hat they would not have seen you LOL

I'm also a bit tired of flying 200m. And I am convinced that it is always a matter of time before the FCC is closed again in the EU when it is open for a while.
I ordered a set of sunhans wifi booster from maxuav in America. they have now been on their way to the netherlands for about 2 weeks. as soon as I have them I will let you know what the results are. And this is not for flying 4km but for a normal signal in a line of sight

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut