Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Much time to take a foto

adrian134

Reaction score
Hello, why the anafi needs so much time to take a foto? It is about 5s to take one foto. It is frustrating.

Are you using the ‘bracketing Mode’ to take a picture ?
What kind of photo option did you select among the 4 following possibilities :

1/ JPEG RECT : take some processing time to make the JPEG out of the Raw DNG file, then some more time to make it ‘Rectangular’ using lens deformation correction algorithms before finally write the created JPEG file to the SD card.

2/ JPEG WIDE : should be ‘the less time consuming option’ as it must convert the raw DNG image shot to JPEG format, then store it on the SD card. If you are in a hurry, you should choose this option !

3/ JPEG RECT + DNG : should be the worst time consuming option as it is the same as the first one, but must store the raw large DNG file on the SD card + the JPEG file.

4/ JPEG WIDE + DNG : an intermediate solution that consists in both storing the uncorrected images in JPEG and DNG. This option is particularly useless as if a photographer wants to have a Raw uncorrected Wide image, what would he do with the same image stored in a JPEG format ?? Waist of processing time and SD storage.

My suggestion to Parrot was to replace option 4 by a ‘DNG only’ option. It would be faster, less storage consuming and in par with ‘pro photo requirements’.

This last suggestion is even more relevant when you choose the Bracketing option with 7 shots (14 files of the same scene are processed and stored... that’s forever compared to your 5 seconds !)

I wrote the support about 1 month ago and the only feedback I had was : thank you, we will pass the info to the development team. I also posted this suggestion in various forum where this idea seemed to be supported and although I do not think it’s complicated to implement (just don’t process and store any JPEG file should be feasible...), Parrot does not seem to be interested in it ...

I think I’ll have to deal with it ... and wait until miss Anafi processes unnecessary files while in flight...

Last edited:
Are you using the ‘bracketing Mode’ to take a picture ?
What kind of photo option did you select among the 4 following possibilities :

1/ JPEG RECT : take some processing time to make the JPEG out of the Raw DNG file, then some more time to make it ‘Rectangular’ using lens deformation correction algorithms before finally write the created JPEG file to the SD card.

2/ JPEG WIDE : should be ‘the less time consuming option’ as it must convert the raw DNG image shot to JPEG format, then store it on the SD card. If you are in a hurry, you should choose this option !

3/ JPEG RECT + DNG : should be the worst time consuming option as it is the same as the first one, but must store the raw large DNG file on the SD card + the JPEG file.

4/ JPEG WIDE + DNG : an intermediate solution that consists in both storing the uncorrected images in JPEG and DNG. This option is particularly useless as if a photographer wants to have a Raw uncorrected Wide image, what would he do with the same image stored in a JPEG format ?? Waist of processing time and SD storage.

My suggestion to Parrot was to replace option 4 by a ‘DNG only’ option. It would be faster, less storage consuming and in par with ‘pro photo requirements’.

This last suggestion is even more relevant when you choose the Bracketing option with 7 shots (14 files of the same scene are processed and stored... that’s forever compared to your 5 seconds !)

I wrote the support about 1 month ago and the only feedback I had was : thank you, we will pass the info to the development team. I also posted this suggestion in various forum where this idea seemed to be supported and although I do not think it’s complicated to implement (just don’t process and store any JPEG file should be feasible...), Parrot does not seem to be interested in it ...

I think I’ll have to deal with it ... and wait until miss Anafi processes unnecessary files while in flight...

Thank you for reply. I dont use bracketing mode. For this time I use jpeg rect, after work I will change for jpeg wide and I 'll let You now :)

MP said: "My suggestion to Parrot was to replace option 4 by a ‘DNG only’ option. It would be faster, less storage consuming and in par with ‘pro photo requirements’.

Parrot refuses to add this option "DNG only". I have written them several times since Anafi came out.
Parrot's reply to this request is no, the + jpg doesn't add additional processing time, get a bigger mSD card.

Last edited:
Reactions: MustangPhil
Thanks DashSolo for this answer, though I do not understand why transforming a raw file to JPEG and writing it on an SD card would not add processing and time ?
Maybe the DNG is also a processed file after the JPEG has been generated ?
I did not receive any answer to my question to the support team, just ‘will pass the question to them...’
The size of my 64Gb card should be enough for my pics, just the time for taking pics is a pain in the @

Reactions: dashSolo
Hmmm...so somehow the processor works fast but our cards don’t? Sorry Parrot, but data transfer speed is through your bus and my card is fast enough to write it.

The wait has never bothered me as if I spent 30 secs getting the shot framed, the result is what I expected at the time I hit the shutter button and is worth the wait. It’s not a full frame speedy SLR but a little ball of a camera that is relying on some electronic trickery to operate. The wait time I’m sure is increased also by the calculations for the EIS on that missing third axis. In video shooting, that’s a non factor but for a photo, it needs to stabilize that yaw deflection first before it shoots. Your time goes up if it’s windy because of this extra calculation I believe and adds to the previously explained JPEG process lag issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

good point, however I use the best mSD with up to 170MB/s read and 90MB/s write speeds.
SD Extreme Pro and it's still painfully slow, especially the 42 shot 360 pano.

I just ordered this and I think I'll run a test tomorrow when I get this from Amazon:
Lexar Professional 1000x microSDXC 64GB UHS-II/U3 (Up to 150MB/s Read) W/USB 3.0 Reader Flash Memory Card LSDMI64GCBNL1000R.

Last edited:
The pano is going to be slow. It takes a lot of pictures. I take it your not a fisherman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just so that i understand the pause when taking photos. The drone is writing the photos to the card when the screen goes grey or is the drone taking the photos when the screen goes grey? Or possibly a bit of both? I was just wondering because you can still move the drone when the screen is grey and if im bracketing shots and i knock the controls will this ruin the bracketing?

I'm just being lazy, i could test this myself i know :p

Exactly, when the screen is grey you can move the drone. I wish that the grey screen after photo can turn off because I thing this is a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phildart