Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Need a new photo/video editor

slvervper99

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new photo/video editor. I have one I bought 2 years ago but I also need something that can photoshop plus it's really cheap at $25 :D, you can see why I only have limited choices. I've looked at Adobe Premier and Photoshop elements 2019 and but would also like to hear if anyone have other suggestions aside from Adobe. Thanks.

I have been using the new Luminar 2018 for photos. It is kind of like lightroom and photoshop rolled into one. First time I tried it I hated it but I watched a few more youtube reviews and gave it another chance. It has its good points but there is a learning curve so be ware.
I am mostly a Adobe person, Lightroom and then photoshop. Just getting into Adobe Premiere Pro CC put I like it. It all comes down to how fast your computer is and how well it handles the video\photo program. If you have to wait 6 hours for you video to render then you are using the wrong program for your computer

Reactions: Jed Anafi
I have been using the new Luminar 2018 for photos. It is kind of like lightroom and photoshop rolled into one. First time I tried it I hated it but I watched a few more youtube reviews and gave it another chance. It has its good points but there is a learning curve so be ware.
I am mostly a Adobe person, Lightroom and then photoshop. Just getting into Adobe Premiere Pro CC put I like it. It all comes down to how fast your computer is and how well it handles the video\photo program. If you have to wait 6 hours for you video to render then you are using the wrong program for your computer
Actually, those videos I posted - it only took maybe 5-10 mins for my current video editor to render. So for what I have paid for it, it's pretty good, but it does not have the capabilities to photoshop a picture unlike my Adobe Photoshop elements but my adobe is about 8 years old. It is/was the Adobe PE 2010. Not sure if it will work properly with Windows 10

I like to learn the products I use so I use Youtube to keep me up to date. A lot of youtube Adobe tutorial users have switched to the Luminar line of processing. Might be just a money thing but for me it is you buy it for X amount of dollars and you own it. No monthly fees like Adobe. It has some growing pains but I can see this program growing into something better then lightroom. As for video I still have not found anything better then Adobe Premiere Pro CC or Resolve. Which ever you feel more comfortable with.

Reactions: slvervper99
Thank you, I'll look into Lightroom also. There are some many video editing software and have found some users not liking Adobe - but those are just reviews from Amazon.

I'm looking for a new photo/video editor. I have one I bought 2 years ago but I also need something that can photoshop plus it's really cheap at $25 :D, you can see why I only have limited choices. I've looked at Adobe Premier and Photoshop elements 2019 and but would also like to hear if anyone have other suggestions aside from Adobe. Thanks.

As a photo editor, I would recommend Affinity photo that is at least as good as Adobe, if not better in many respects. The price is quilt good.

Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software for desktop and iPad

And as a video editor I would suggest Shortcut that is open source. It can be a lot of things and the price has to be said to be affordable !. I use it a lot, even I have a Cyperlink PowerDirector.

Shotcut - Home

Regards Leif.

Hi, a couple of good open source programs I use for photos are Darktable (works very well on linux but there is a windows (might still be beta) version) for photo editing, and Gimp, which is a very good (open source) photoshop alternative.

For video I have used Blender, but the learning curve is a bit steep, I have found HitFilm Expess to be a very capable editor.

For video editing, I use DaVinci Resolve 15, that is free and extremely powerful (it looks a lot like Adobe Premiere, a little complicated at the beginning, but great after a few tutorials on YouTube).
Plenty of exporting possibilities, perfect color management, it is now considered as a serious competitor for Adobe Premiere...
For free you have the full version, and if you pay, you can access to network rendering and other options that I really do not need.

Vegas Pro Suite 16 for me for the video end of things and Photoshop CS5 for the pictures.

For video editing, I use DaVinci Resolve 15, that is free and extremely powerful (it looks a lot like Adobe Premiere, a little complicated at the beginning, but great after a few tutorials on YouTube).
Plenty of exporting possibilities, perfect color management, it is now considered as a serious competitor for Adobe Premiere...
For free you have the full version, and if you pay, you can access to network rendering and other options that I really do not need.
What video format do you use? I am brand new to video editing. Downloaded Resolve 15, but when I import mp4 video taken on my Anafi, I can't see the video. I've read that Resolve doesn't work with mp4 (don't know if that is true or not, could be something I am doing wrong).

Thanks for the responses. I believe my problem is a woefully inadequate computer. I was able to track down the system requirements for Resolve 15 and I am nowhere near them. Looks like an excuse to upgrade :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut