Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Need a new photo/video editor

slvervper99

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new photo/video editor. I have one I bought 2 years ago but I also need something that can photoshop plus it's really cheap at $25 :D, you can see why I only have limited choices. I've looked at Adobe Premier and Photoshop elements 2019 and but would also like to hear if anyone have other suggestions aside from Adobe. Thanks.

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using the new Luminar 2018 for photos. It is kind of like lightroom and photoshop rolled into one. First time I tried it I hated it but I watched a few more youtube reviews and gave it another chance. It has its good points but there is a learning curve so be ware.
I am mostly a Adobe person, Lightroom and then photoshop. Just getting into Adobe Premiere Pro CC put I like it. It all comes down to how fast your computer is and how well it handles the video\photo program. If you have to wait 6 hours for you video to render then you are using the wrong program for your computer

Reactions: Jed Anafi

slvervper99

Reaction score
I have been using the new Luminar 2018 for photos. It is kind of like lightroom and photoshop rolled into one. First time I tried it I hated it but I watched a few more youtube reviews and gave it another chance. It has its good points but there is a learning curve so be ware.
I am mostly a Adobe person, Lightroom and then photoshop. Just getting into Adobe Premiere Pro CC put I like it. It all comes down to how fast your computer is and how well it handles the video\photo program. If you have to wait 6 hours for you video to render then you are using the wrong program for your computer
Actually, those videos I posted - it only took maybe 5-10 mins for my current video editor to render. So for what I have paid for it, it's pretty good, but it does not have the capabilities to photoshop a picture unlike my Adobe Photoshop elements but my adobe is about 8 years old. It is/was the Adobe PE 2010. Not sure if it will work properly with Windows 10

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to learn the products I use so I use Youtube to keep me up to date. A lot of youtube Adobe tutorial users have switched to the Luminar line of processing. Might be just a money thing but for me it is you buy it for X amount of dollars and you own it. No monthly fees like Adobe. It has some growing pains but I can see this program growing into something better then lightroom. As for video I still have not found anything better then Adobe Premiere Pro CC or Resolve. Which ever you feel more comfortable with.

Reactions: slvervper99

slvervper99

Reaction score
Thank you, I'll look into Lightroom also. There are some many video editing software and have found some users not liking Adobe - but those are just reviews from Amazon.

Landbo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new photo/video editor. I have one I bought 2 years ago but I also need something that can photoshop plus it's really cheap at $25 :D, you can see why I only have limited choices. I've looked at Adobe Premier and Photoshop elements 2019 and but would also like to hear if anyone have other suggestions aside from Adobe. Thanks.
As a photo editor, I would recommend Affinity photo that is at least as good as Adobe, if not better in many respects. The price is quilt good.

Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software for desktop and iPad

And as a video editor I would suggest Shortcut that is open source. It can be a lot of things and the price has to be said to be affordable !. I use it a lot, even I have a Cyperlink PowerDirector.

Shotcut - Home

Regards Leif.

atomic23

Reaction score
Hi, a couple of good open source programs I use for photos are Darktable (works very well on linux but there is a windows (might still be beta) version) for photo editing, and Gimp, which is a very good (open source) photoshop alternative.

For video I have used Blender, but the learning curve is a bit steep, I have found HitFilm Expess to be a very capable editor.

MustangPhil

Reaction score
For video editing, I use DaVinci Resolve 15, that is free and extremely powerful (it looks a lot like Adobe Premiere, a little complicated at the beginning, but great after a few tutorials on YouTube).
Plenty of exporting possibilities, perfect color management, it is now considered as a serious competitor for Adobe Premiere...
For free you have the full version, and if you pay, you can access to network rendering and other options that I really do not need.

Czolgy

Reaction score
Vegas Pro Suite 16 for me for the video end of things and Photoshop CS5 for the pictures.

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems Resolve has updated to 15.2 if your into this editor. Its free and full of options.

celtfans33

Reaction score
For video editing, I use DaVinci Resolve 15, that is free and extremely powerful (it looks a lot like Adobe Premiere, a little complicated at the beginning, but great after a few tutorials on YouTube).
Plenty of exporting possibilities, perfect color management, it is now considered as a serious competitor for Adobe Premiere...
For free you have the full version, and if you pay, you can access to network rendering and other options that I really do not need.
What video format do you use? I am brand new to video editing. Downloaded Resolve 15, but when I import mp4 video taken on my Anafi, I can't see the video. I've read that Resolve doesn't work with mp4 (don't know if that is true or not, could be something I am doing wrong).

Kilrah

Reaction score
It does, make sure you have the latest version.

MustangPhil

Reaction score
Yes, I use 4K mp4 right out of the bird and can edit them without difficulties.

celtfans33

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I believe my problem is a woefully inadequate computer. I was able to track down the system requirements for Resolve 15 and I am nowhere near them. Looks like an excuse to upgrade :)

celtfans33

Reaction score

mrajic

Reaction score
For video editig I am using Shotcut and sometimes for quick edits Openshot. For photo editing I would recommend Gimp. All of them are opensource, crossplatform and free.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Flatley