Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Drone Today - Advice

LiamJA

Reaction score
Hi I wondering if you guys can give me some advice please.

I’m about to head out and buy my first drone, the Anafi however I’ve read a lot of reviews and posts regarding the SD card issue etc.

My plan was to buy a 128g micro SD card and replace the standard 16g straight away. My concern is that I know when people have updated to the latest firmware they have experienced SD card error, I’m imagining as the drone will be new I will have to update it to the latest firmware but worried I will encounter this SD error.

Do you guys have any advice ? Will I be ok putting a 128g card in straight away and will the format issue workaround that has been pinned work with it being a fresh out the box drone as the 16GB will be first used on the lasted firmware (if that makes sense)

Thank you for any advice - I’m totally new to all things drones as have a lot to learn so any help would be great

I’m about to head out and buy my first drone, the Anafi however I’ve read a lot of reviews and posts regarding the SD card issue etc.

My plan was to buy a 128g micro SD card and replace the standard 16g straight away. My concern is that I know when people have updated to the latest firmware they have experienced SD card error, I’m imagining as the drone will be new I will have to update it to the latest firmware but worried I will encounter this SD error.

Do you guys have any advice ? Will I be ok putting a 128g card in straight away and will the format issue workaround that has been pinned work with it being a fresh out the box drone as the 16GB will be first used on the lasted firmware (if that makes sense)

Thank you for any advice - I’m totally new to all things drones as have a lot to learn so any help would be great

The problem appears only to be related to the APP for iOS where there is a programming error. It is not the SD card that is faulty. You can read how to bypass the error in the following link: SD Card Format Issue - SOLVED!

Good luck and fly safe, Leif.

Someone posted this on Anafi Facebook page. I would say get two 64 gig cards and then you will have a spare if needed.

Thank you for you help, so if I swap the 16GB with a 64g I shouldn’t in theory get the error ? Or does it have to be smaller than 64g? I will be using the app on my iphone.
My main concern is im going to take my drone to Bali next week but not my laptop so if I need to reformat SD cards via my laptop I can’t only via the app of that makes sense .

The problem appears only to be related to the APP for iOS where there is a programming error. It is not the SD card that is faulty.
I have an acquaintance that has this issue using Android phone & tablets. The commonality with me is that he is also using Mac computers! Has anyone had the same issue when using a Windows computer, regardless of what type of phone? :unsure:

Just picked up my Anafi I’ve got a few 32g SD cards and 64g hopefully I don’t get any issues thanks for the help everyone

I have an acquaintance that has this issue using Android phone & tablets. The commonality with me is that he is also using Mac computers! Has anyone had the same issue when using a Windows computer, regardless of what type of phone? :unsure:

If you have followed the threads Alex, it only seemed to be iOS based phones and tablets that have problems recognizing there is an SDXC card in Anafi. It happens because the iOS APP does not display the formatting menu and therefore the SDXC card cannot be formatted. It is described in several places here in the forum how to cheat FF6 to format an SDXC card by using the supplied SDHC card as intermediate station.

Regards, Leif.

If you have followed the threads Alex, it only seemed to be iOS based phones and tablets that have problems recognizing there is an SDXC card in Anafi. It happens because the iOS APP does not display the formatting menu and therefore the SDXC card cannot be formatted. It is described in several places here in the forum how to cheat FF6 to format an SDXC card by using the supplied SDHC card as intermediate station.

Regards, Leif.
But that doesn't marry up to his experience, Leif! He's on a Mac computer system & using Android mobile devices. He initially formatted the micro SD cards on his Mac's, then had the unformattable issues on his Android devices. :unsure:

Personally I don't like SD cards as large a 128gb. That is a lot of footage to lose if the drone gets lost or the card corrupted. Of course we always backup our footgage, but it needs to be on at least two devices or one and a cloud.
Also the expense. I use the multipack at Costco, Sandisk Ultra 64GB. Cheap. I can swap out between flights as they are backed up. As I have two batteries, this works well, I swap cards as I swap batteries. Have not had the format issue
however I just updated firmware and have not swapped cards yet.

As far as Anafi goes, it is great except for urban congested wifi areas where you may get around 700' before the video drops out (worst case scenario) The drone will be controllable for another 300-400' but you will not know what you are filming or getting pix of. Aftermarket antenna mods may help, I am awaiting custom cables (longer) to install a Titan antenna. Rural use the range is better and OK. Be sure to turn off wifi on your phone and use Airplane Mode. I was a neophyte and did not know this, it makes a huge difference. Mavic Air has similar rural "clear air" range. I have not heard whether City range is similar or better, it is the same tech but maybe done better? Have not checked, that machine is WAY too noisy. I am a loyal Anafi owner, mainly because of how quiet it is, secondarily because of the vertical camera range and zoom, lastly because I do not need proprietary chargers. Oh yeah and it crashes well! Twice I have bounced off trees and crashed 10' to the ground (lost wifi signal so was totally in manual mode, could not hover hands free). First time had to swap out all propellers, second time dusted it off and continued flying...amazing! I am a much better pilot now....I think this is an awesome first "decent camera" quality drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krusty Geeza

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut