Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New to the disco

nrbigbull

Reaction score
Hey all hope your all ok this is my first time owning a parrot drone. I normally fly dji drones I thought I would make a change and get a parrot disco.

Is the disco the better one to fly for the first time using a parrot drone and how do I put the film footage and photos to my pc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Being a wing the Disco does not fly like any multirotor.
If you have never flown a fixed wing model here are a few tips.

ALWAYS take off and land into the wind. Trying to land or take off into a crosswind will tax even experienced pilots, landing downwind will mean you will end up chasing the Disco quite a distance. If you try to take off down wind chances are the Disco will not have sufficient lift and will dirtnap.

For your first flights ensure you have a large area free of any obstructions. The Disco also needs quite a large area to land, especially if you decide to use the spiral autoland feature.

If for any reason you start to feel panicky ensure you have enough height and use loiter mode. To do this just push the throttle stick left or right and the Disco will start to circle, maintaining its height. The default radius of loiter is, I believe, 60metres so ensure you have the altitude and space.

The Disco is an extremely easy model to fly. In fact you can pilot it solely with the right joystick (left if you’re mode 1) as the flight controller will auto manage the throttle.

To extract the photos/video from the Disco you need to use the micro-USB port on rear right of the C.H.U.C.K. Your computer will see this as an external storage device.

The Disco is great fun but remember unlike a multirotor you can’t just stop in mid-air. For your first flights just practice simple left and right hand circuits and become comfortable with the different orientations.

Regards

Nidge.

Reactions: Mmoguls
I love my disco, but it is a hell of a thing finding areas where you can easily land the thing without overshooting.

Try to make sure you have a good 100 ft of open space to land in, landing into the wind helps quite a bit, watch out that the downward sensor doesn’t detect trees right below it as you start to come in to land and pull up; Don’t be afraid to pull out of landing and come back around for a second ( or fourth try ).

At the same time, the disco is big and light and doesn’t seem to mind crashing that much, so don’t fret too much when you don’t land quite right, or make a mistake that “lands” early.

The disco moves along quite quickly, so you might be tempted to fly low and get fast moving footage, just be careful to keep a clear line of sight where you’re going; Return to home will bring it back if you lose signal, but only if it doesn’t crash into a tree or hill in the interveneing seconds before it kicks in.

You might be tempted to try and catch it landing instead of finding a flat surface to glide in. It can be done, but requires two people, and if the person catching doesn’t absolutely get it right, they might miss and cause a crash, catch a drone to the face at 30-60km/h, or cut their hand up on the prop going full reverse thrust.

The battery in it is a standard connector and is conservatively sized - if you want even longer flight time I purchased a nearly double capacity battery that’s just a bit bigger in size. Had to scoop out a tiny bit of foam to the left and right of the battery compartment, but now get well over an hour of flight when I want.

This is a very forgiving drone, provides lots of flight time per charge compared to multirotors. Great starter.

It also allows you to grow with it, with full manual control if you wanted to get into other fixed wing model aircraft or just to try some aerobatics, flight planning for automated flights if you want to try some mapping / modelling or just to see how far it can really go.

These guys are right. As an experienced multorotor pilot, the Disco is dead simple to begin learning to fly. The auto pilot and return to home are your friends. It is extremely fun to fly this powered glider.
But landing is the TERRIFYING part! it takes a long way to land and landing into the wind is really the preferred method. My first flights over shot the landing area by an easy 30 yards. But adding in your altitude and speed control input from the controller will shorten that a lot! The full auto circle and land takes a space the size of a small country...
That being said, my last flights landed right next to me, about 10 feet to the side. Starting to get it!
But I wish the CHUCK had the short landing ability of the Ebee Sensefly systems. Those dive and land in just a few feet! Parrot, are you listening???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem