Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Next steps after brand new Thermal malfunctioned?

Heath Houghton

Reaction score
I have been reading on how people are claiming these drones are falling out of the sky and I thought it must be user error...I now believe the threads where people say there is something wrong with the software driving these drones. I am a first day owner of a now wrecked drone. I pulled it out of the box, have read the entire manual, did all firmware updates to controller, drone, batteries, in that order...then flew it on several short missions to get used to the controls, landing and takes offs, etc. Then I decide to go outside and get used to the thermal camera. Took some video just getting used to the thermal settings, etc. I'm up about 150 to 200 feet, decide to come down in altitude so I can get ready to land. The drone or controller makes a beep beep sound and two seconds later crashed at what must be 40 mph straight down right in front of me.
How do I get the log, share it and get Parrot to replace this bird?

It definitely was not me being careless and crashing into a tree or something...just doing an altitude change and it completely and exactly fell straight out of the sky. I'm literally speechless that this piece of crap could come crashing straight down like this.

Any help in getting me to document so I can get this replaced would be helpful. I can't imagine that a $1700 drone should not be expected to perform a simple altitude change.

I realize that these forums are not very active, but I will post an update. I've started a support case, but since the anafi thermal is considered prosumer, the support is straight from France and the USA based customer support won't advise. I decided after reading a ton of posts on crashes to plug one of my spare batteries in and connect to the drone via the app. This resulted in the last video getting completed and the data log for the flight finishing up. I had the gimbal pointing straight down at the time of the failure. The video shows the drone hovering as I walk over to get ready to land and then it looks like it quits just prior to the drone shutting down...maybe a one to ten seconds before it fell from the sky. The log doesn't show the event either. Just shows it at 200' elevation the last bit of data it shows. The log looks like it shows a start of a descent but that's it...no more data, no crash event, nothing. I think the OS just shut down in the drone...system failure. Here is a pic of the last flight log. Batteries at 22% which is why I was going to land.2020-05-05_20-07-36.jpg
2020-05-05_20-11-33.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Heath- very sorry to hear that this happened to you, it stinks
I'm sure you will receive some advice from some of the more experienced members tomorrow
In the flight log there is a json file that contains data for your flight - parrot will request it so make sure to preserve it
BTW... there is a program I think its called ShowAnafiLog where you can view the data
I'll defer to the experts on forum to provide better guidance
Again sorry for your terrible experience on first day

Reactions: Zigzag84
Sorry to hear that. Yea, seems that the latest updates have been making things rough. I stopped updates at 1.6.3 and 6.6.4...I've owned my thermal since they first came out (#180) I think. I've never had an issue yet luckily. I haven't even been prompted for battery updates. I think that was in 1.6.4 and above

Parrot should be very helpful with you since this has been a well documented issue. You may also find more helpful information in the regular "Anafi" section of this forum. The thermal and regular one use the same web page to post software update information also.

Hope you get it fixed...it's been a great machine for me so far..I'm not updating EVEERRRRRR lol

I thought the posts about the drones dropping from the sky were guys just needing an excuse for wrecking their birds. Now I know it truly is an issue. I hope parrot replaces it. It is so wrecked that this thing is basically a do over. I just don’t know how I can ever trust the drone even if Parrot does the right thing and sends me a replacement. I’m hoping the flight data I provided Parrot helps determine the underlying issue.

Another update...corporate Parrot transferred my case to a distributor located in Utah that has customer support capability. My drone is on its way to Utah and I hope to hear back about a warranty claim this week or next.

Sorry to hear that. Yea, seems that the latest updates have been making things rough. I stopped updates at 1.6.3 and 6.6.4...I've owned my thermal since they first came out (#180) I think. I've never had an issue yet luckily. I haven't even been prompted for battery updates. I think that was in 1.6.4 and above

Parrot should be very helpful with you since this has been a well documented issue. You may also find more helpful information in the regular "Anafi" section of this forum. The thermal and regular one use the same web page to post software update information also.

Hope you get it fixed...it's been a great machine for me so far..I'm not updating EVEERRRRRR lol
What is your firmware version ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John K