Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Not all USB are made equal!!

d95gas

Reaction score
Just thought that I would post this up more as a way of highlighting how so many issues go back to the USB Cable, either we pull out of our bundle of cables, or get supplied.

Just got the new Samsung A9 for work, which is USB C. Went on Amazon and ordered what I thought was decent USB C cables. They had all the correct wording, saying they were fully compatible with the latest devices, IE Samsung 10, etc.

Received them, plugged the phone into my laptop with one of them and went to update my Music library on the A9. Could only see about 5 out of approx 30 folders.
Swapped cables over, rebooted laptop, rebooted phone, and could still only see a handful of folders.

Grabbed one of my cheap and nasty USB C cables, and low and behold there was all my folders. Did some more investigating with the new cables, and the phone was doing all sorts of dodgy things.

Packed them up and shipped them back to Amazon. Ordered my usual "Anker USB C" cables, tried them when they arrived, and perfect.

THESE were the one's I have sent back.

Will never order anything but Anker. House is about full of Anker products. Lesson learned.

Ok...so interesting that you posted this...So I just updated FF and did a test. Everything is fine. I decide to charge up some batteries and my controller. I have a dedicated cable for my flight control and I will flip it around for charging. I’ve done this now for 10 months now. I’m never overly picky about the charger and I’ve plugged in to many types including car lighter style while driving.

Today I hooked my Sky Controller with a USB C cable connect to a four port charger that I use for overnight charging of iPhone, iPad, Android stuff, and USB C things. Nothing else was hooked up and I plugged the controller into a no name C cable on there. I went/outside for awhile and did some yard work. When I came back in I got that whiff of acrid electronic heating immediately. Sure enough, the controller and cable were melting. The top of my controller did deform a bit but it seems I caught it in time. A flight test was a bit weird as the controller did not auto connect the app but for now, I’m dismissing that as operator error and hopefully not a permanent PIA. That could be due to a phone update also and the auto connect has been disabled and I have not said don’t do that and yes recognize my controller please and open FF6. I’ll see about that later.

Meanwhile, I am charging the controller with a better cable and now checking it with touch for heat and sniff for increased electronic burning. This is of course I believe an isolated problem and it does seem like the cable may have been the culprit. Hopefully, I can still charge up and didn’t damage those circuits that regulate charging and stop it when it’s full. Right now, it appears to be charging normally as it was at 60% and it did get back to 100%. I’m going to see if I get the green done light now as it should be right there and finish as I’m taking the controller to 99% and see if it finishes properly.

Weird!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It shocked me the difference in what I perceived as a fairly decent USB Cable, the blurb fitted all my requirements and more, so seemed like it was up to the job ..... How wrong. Still a little confused why it would only display the first 5 folders in my Music directory and no more, yet plug in my other cable and 30+ folders are there..... Just goes to show its worth that extra to stick to a known branded make, which is what I will be doing going forward.

One bitten, twice shy as they say

Ok...so interesting that you posted this...So I just updated FF and did a test. Everything is fine. I decide to charge up some batteries and my controller. I have a dedicated cable for my flight control and I will flip it around for charging. I’ve done this now for 10 months now. I’m never overly picky about the charger and I’ve plugged in to many types including car lighter style while driving.

Today I hooked my Sky Controller with a USB C cable connect to a four port charger that I use for overnight charging of iPhone, iPad, Android stuff, and USB C things. Nothing else was hooked up and I plugged the controller into a no name C cable on there. I went/outside for awhile and did some yard work. When I came back in I got that whiff of acrid electronic heating immediately. Sure enough, the controller and cable were melting. The top of my controller did deform a bit but it seems I caught it in time. A flight test was a bit weird as the controller did not auto connect the app but for now, I’m dismissing that as operator error and hopefully not a permanent PIA. That could be due to a phone update also and the auto connect has been disabled and I have not said don’t do that and yes recognize my controller please and open FF6. I’ll see about that later.

Meanwhile, I am charging the controller with a better cable and now checking it with touch for heat and sniff for increased electronic burning. This is of course I believe an isolated problem and it does seem like the cable may have been the culprit. Hopefully, I can still charge up and didn’t damage those circuits that regulate charging and stop it when it’s full. Right now, it appears to be charging normally as it was at 60% and it did get back to 100%. I’m going to see if I get the green done light now as it should be right there and finish as I’m taking the controller to 99% and see if it finishes properly.

Weird!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Having watched what happens to a lipo when charging goes wrong I NEVER charge a battery for the Anafi,my planes or my tools unless I am sitting there.The fire hazard is not nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut