Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Now my turn to drop from the sky!

DaveN

Reaction score
My turn....

On April 1st, my Parrot decided to go for a swim diving from nearly 100 feet. At the time I had 46% drone battery and no previous incidents. 21 prior flights and 101 minutes of total flight time. I contacted Parrot via their website that same day. They responded with the standard list of questions including the flight data, description, and purchase receipt. I gave them a detailed description including estimated flight time for that flight but since my Parrot was under water, I did not have the last JSON file. The lake had just thawed a couple weeks earlier and the water temperature was only slightly above freezing. Not worth getting hypothermia to retrieve a drone.

The response I received was more questions, replied back, etc. Over the next couple of MONTHS it was just a drip of interest here and a drop there from Parrot. During that time, the water warmed and I was able to retrieve the bird a month after it's swim. After cleaning it up as best I could, I powered it up and to my surprise it powered on and I was able to retrieve the flight info which I submitted to Parrot. Although it powered on, the downward facing camera is non functional and the forward camera has a slight haze in it. From what I've read, it will not function without the downward facing camera and that is not a part Parrot makes available. For all intents and purposes, the bird is dead. One of the Dead Parrot Society.

For all my efforts, Parrot rewarded me with a 'Sorry, out of warranty' email which I appealed and they said tough luck. I tried calling the 877 number in their emails but that only took me to a conference call center system where I was asked to enter my conference number. I wrote one more email to Alex B. of Parrot appealing my case and asking for a correct contact number and only received a "Sorry, out of warranty" email.

At the time of the dive I was taking photos from a still location and panning. The controller was becoming unresponsive as it appeared the photos were not all immediately taken when the shutter release was pressed. I recovered the SD card which also worked and tellingly, some of the last photos only had headers but no image data. At the end, the screen on my phone in the controller went to static and I knew something was wrong. I looked up and saw my Parrot plunge into the water silently. No motors were running.

So now I have to decide, do I risk buying a replacement knowing that it is at my own risk and the firmware is buggy. I have spare parts if I do crash again and Anafi is the only drone that has the ability to look up which is something I really like.

Here is my JSON file and screenshot of the last flight.IMG_1395.PNG

Attachments

• 0914_2020-04-01T141331-0500_4A8DBC_0018.json.zip
    377.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It was out of warranty when it crashed. I had three batteries and am not sure if I had the newest battery (~2 months old) in it or one of the original batteries. I was really annoyed of all the info they requested which required a lot of effort on my part and to be turned down on the warranty wall and no option for a reduced price replacement which would be acceptable to me for an out of warranty product but lost due to a firmware issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

From the JSON file,
Anafi software_version: 1.6.7.
controller 1.6.3
I recall that it updated to a newer version after I recovered it.

Last edited:
From the JSON file,
Anafi software_version: 1.6.7.
controller 1.6.3
I recall that it updated to a newer version after I recovered it.
Vertical camera failure is very common on Anafi. I think the weak connector is the fault. I have a DJI Spark that has failed, a common Spark "illness" that is a takeoff problem. Unfortunately, the error also occurred during flight and landed hard in the grass from a height of 20m. It wasn’t a problem, but I disassembled it and cleaned all the ribbon cable connectors and improved the Spark. The bouncing takeoff and the power consumed during the flight were gone.
I think the same problem with Anafi. Fortunately, the Anafi has far fewer connectors than the Spark. All dropped Anafi's main fault is the vertical camera fault, which I think is a connection problem and can be repaired at home.
And the gimball camera is obscure because the dirt deposited from the water is deposited on the cmos sensor or the lens. Carefully disassembled, I think it can be cleaned.
What can you lose? try to fix it ...

Reactions: Dinojet
Vertical camera failure is very common on Anafi. I think the weak connector is the fault. I have a DJI Spark that has failed, a common Spark "illness" that is a takeoff problem. Unfortunately, the error also occurred during flight and landed hard in the grass from a height of 20m. It wasn’t a problem, but I disassembled it and cleaned all the ribbon cable connectors and improved the Spark. The bouncing takeoff and the power consumed during the flight were gone.
I think the same problem with Anafi. Fortunately, the Anafi has far fewer connectors than the Spark. All dropped Anafi's main fault is the vertical camera fault, which I think is a connection problem and can be repaired at home.
And the gimball camera is obscure because the dirt deposited from the water is deposited on the cmos sensor or the lens. Carefully disassembled, I think it can be cleaned.
I will check the connector. As you say, what can I lose? It has other issues like some debris in the blue light on the bottom but I'll have a look at that when I disassemble it. The camera is another issue. I did take that apart and cleaned it as best I could. Still had a haze the last time I powered it on but that was a month ago. Maybe time improved things (wishful thinking). One other issue that is solvable with a modification is that the rear arms no longer lock in the open position. They did when i first recovered it but not anymore. In the end, if I do get a replacement, I now have lots of spare parts.

It has been raining here for several days so I finally took the time to check the vertical camera connection. While the exterior of my Anafi cleaned up nicely, the internals are a mess even though I dried them with compressed air soon after I retrieved it. I noticed parts of the ribbon cable connecting the vertical camera to the motherboard are missing insulation though the connections are firm. I checked several other connections and had it part way disassembled but gave up at the final steps of the leg removal. Parrot's video jumps from the step to disconnect the front cables and the removal of the GPS antenna. They skip over how the main board is removed and how the GPS antenna is removed from the mainboard. I didn't want to figure out how to do that and a way to reassemble it. I reassembled everything and to my amazement, I didn't have any extra parts! However, I still have vertical camera failure and the rear legs do not lock in place. Time to part it out.

IMG_1537.jpg

Wow that is one big mess. First thing I would do is get some distilled water.....lots of it. Poor it into an container large enough to hold the Anafi. Soak the Anafi in the disstilled water untill all that crap starts to float off and take a tooth brush and scrub down the parts that you can get at. Then work your way to the connections. Man that thing looks like it sat in a mud bath for a week. LOL
Good luck but I don't think its worth fixing

Wow that is one big mess. First thing I would do is get some distilled water.....lots of it. Poor it into an container large enough to hold the Anafi. Soak the Anafi in the disstilled water untill all that crap starts to float off and take a tooth brush and scrub down the parts that you can get at. Then work your way to the connections. Man that thing looks like it sat in a mud bath for a week. LOL
Good luck but I don't think its worth fixing
It actually sat in a mud bath for a month (maybe it was almost two months). Most of it came off by wiping it with wetted paper towels. The ribbon between the downward facing camera and motherboard is missing some insulation so that may be the downward facing camera. Parrot doesn’t sell those parts so yeah, this bird is cooked.

Well they seem to be the only ones I know of selling parts as they get them other then ebay. Not sure if they have what you might need but I would just get a refurb unit if you still want a Parrot product.

Reactions: DaveN
Well they seem to be the only ones I know of selling parts as they get them other then ebay. Not sure if they have what you might need but I would just get a refurb unit if you still want a Parrot product.
Thanks. I'm on the fence and may get a refurb because I still like some of the Anafi features but may also get a different brand for a backup.

Take wires contact spray and if you need spray it all on every part of drone and leave it like that, i would sugest you dissasemble every part what you think that you can do it, and do that and after that i would leave in rice for couple of days and ofcourse check all conectors again it really messed but i think that can be ok if you do all of this... Good luck

Take wires contact spray and if you need spray it all on every part of drone and leave it like that, i would sugest you dissasemble every part what you think that you can do it, and do that and after that i would leave in rice for couple of days and ofcourse check all conectors again it really messed but i think that can be ok if you do all of this... Good luck
Thanks but I think I'm going to get a used Anafi and keep this one for parts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem