Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Potential Drone Owner Here!

Those of you who have the air or have used dji products.....how does the parrot software for flying compare? I hear it’s much more user friendly and waypoints are supported? Seems
Like just alone would be a HUGE selling point!

When comparing like for like, i.e both using WiFi tech for control and image transmission, my experience is that the Parrot system is more effective. Last week I did a side-by-side test with my Anafi and my Spark. Both were operating in standard CE mode using 5.8GHz, and both controllers were tethered to the same smart device via USB/OTG. The Anafi had much less latency than he Spark and covered a greater distance than the Spark before image breakup became a problem.

I also found the FreeFlight6 App easier to navigate while in flight. The one plus I found with the Spark was that it appeared to be quicker in acquiring a suitable GPS lock. The Spark condiders on average a count of 12 Satellites for GPS assisted flight. Possibly Parrot have decided that a greater satellite count is required which accounts for the longer acquisition time. This might be confirmed by analysing the flight records in the flight manager software as FreeFlight6 does not show this info in the APP but only a green GPS icon for lock and a red icon for unlocked. I think it would be beneficial to the user if Parrot include a satellite count and indication of HDOP in the APP in a similar way that DJI do with the Go4 App.

As an additional observation I belief the FreeFlight6 appears to be smoother in operation than the DJIGO4 App for the simple reason that its written primarily for the Anafi. Where as the DJI App is designed to be used with a multitude of their products from the Spark to the Inspire. When DJI implement a feature for one of their products in the App users of other products often report performance issues. An example of this was when they released the Air users of the Spark, and I think the MP, reported issues with live image reception prompting a rerelease of the App a week or so later.

Regards

Nidge.

Reactions: Thefojizzle
Looks like the anafi prices just went back up here in PA to $599 for the standard setup and $799 for the extended package. I heard there were black Friday sales as low as $499 in the past.

Personally I'd get the mavic air however the mavic air is lots louder. the anafi is very nice too. try geting parts.

have heard that parrot cs can be great.

got mine july 1st they had some firm ware issues

they are both really nice

I haven't used the software for the mavic air but know a guy who had one and really likes it. As for software, I'd say they are both good. I think the decision between the Anafi and mavic air really comes down to what you are doing. Anafi is much quieter and has the more flexible camera as well as more flight time. The air lands more precisely and is a bit more stable in the air plus collision avoidance. I see them as two different birds for different needs.

Although the Anafi has great potential, the support from the company is truly terrible. I love its controller, but after the last firmware update today, my Anafi WiFi has disappeared from both the controller as well as the iPhone, and no amount of hard resets, cable changes, and reinstallation of the FreeFlight6 software has helped. I’ve emailed the company, but don’t expect much assistance. Let the buyer beware.

Although the Anafi has great potential, the support from the company is truly terrible. I love its controller, but after the last firmware update today, my Anafi WiFi has disappeared from both the controller as well as the iPhone, and no amount of hard resets, cable changes, and reinstallation of the FreeFlight6 software has helped. I’ve emailed the company, but don’t expect much assistance. Let the buyer beware.

When you updated the APP did you also update the firmwares for both the controller and the Anafi? With the release of 6.4.0 the firmware update was mandatory.

If the controller has a battery level less than 40% the App will not update the firmware, I think this is also the case with the Anafi.

I read some of the reviews on the Google Play store (I can’t comment on the iTunes Store as I don’t use my IPad with the Anafi as it’s too heavy for the clamp) and I think someone had a similar issue as yours. Parrot do appear to monitor the reviews as everyone who reported an issue received a response, albeit just a simple acknowledgement with a link to customer services.

Regards

Nidge.

When you updated the APP did you also update the firmwares for both the controller and the Anafi? With the release of 6.4.0 the firmware update was mandatory.

If the controller has a battery level less than 40% the App will not update the firmware, I think this is also the case with the Anafi.

I read some of the reviews on the Google Play store (I can’t comment on the iTunes Store as I don’t use my IPad with the Anafi as it’s too heavy for the clamp) and I think someone had a similar issue as yours. Parrot do appear to monitor the reviews as everyone who reported an issue received a response, albeit just a simple acknowledgement with a link to customer services.

Regards

Nidge.
Thanks for your reply.
Both the controller and battery are fully charged. The controller firmware is current, but I can’t connect now with the Anafi frone to update it. I’m using my iPhone 6 with the controller, which worked great until today.
Thanks again for your thoughts. Hopefully, Parrot’s support will restore my faith in this company/product.

So I still haven’t had the guts to pull the trigger on a drone. I’m actually kinda intimidated of flying it. How hard is it to learn to fly? Pretty quick to learn? Thanks in advance

I learned on a Syma X5HW, has alt hold but no GPS so you always have to keep it under control. I use it inside and outside when there is no wind. Cheap, hard to break and it's under .55 lbs so no need to register. Good starting point. I crashed mine A LOT and it survived. Now I use it to teach others how to fly. Worth every penny.

Fly without the camera attached and you get longer flight time. Spare batteries are also available on Amazon to keep the fun going all day.

Last edited:
So I still haven’t had the guts to pull the trigger on a drone. I’m actually kinda intimidated of flying it. How hard is it to learn to fly? Pretty quick to learn? Thanks in advance

I started with Syma X20. I used to fly it indoors only until it's battery would not hold charge any more. As someone who had never operated a RC device, it took me quite a while to get to the muscle memory level to be confident to step it up to Yunec Breeze (lost in the sea of Cortez), and finally to Anafi (and Mambo to fly indoors when weather is bad).

How quick you will learn is hard to tell. It is like with learning to dance, it depends on how talented you are and the amount of time you invest in building the muscle memory stated above. In my experience it was just practice, practice, practice, ... , and my persistence was rewarded with tons of joy.

I did exactly like the posters above : Learned with a cheap toy like a Syma, break it, repair it.
Had little cheap racers (hard to fly, easy to break, long to repair... but really interesting and allowed me to learn alone the flight, soldering...).
Then tried the Anafi... much much simpler to fly (but more expensive to break or flyaway...).
Learned from my mistakes and from others mistakes, and have fun.
The first time you come back home with your SD card full of a clear video of what you wanted to ‘see from above’ is magic...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Batman