Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rosegarden with ND filter test

Sidd Finch

Reaction score
Just purchased a set of ND filters and was testing them out to see how they worked. I took off the HDR setting then put the filter on. So far I am liking how the perform. This was an ND 8 filter

Sidd

Nice footage.
Did you keep the zoom all in for the low flying sections?
Which set of ND filters did you go for?

Thank you. I actually tried to get as close to the roses as possible or approx 1 ft above them. Had to raise up a bit to flyover the taller blooms.

I ended up getting the Freewell Bright Day-Camera Lens Filters Set 4Pack ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL which was about $69 USD. The filters seem to work pretty well and so far no issues.

Sidd

Last edited:
Just purchased a set of ND filters and was testing them out to see how they worked.
You may be interested in this thread, especially post #3.

You may be interested in this thread, especially post #3.

Thanks, that was useful to watch, in that at least now I know that the freewell budget seem to add a colour cast but do not necessarily kill resolution, and I did not see any noticeable defects due to lack of coating.
I think the pilot left the setting on auto, or tested in quite different light conditions, so the three videos appear to have been made with a different final exposure. So probably not too illustrative of the blur effect which ND filters are normally used for, but still knowing about the cast is useful.

I hope I can find some test with the 32 and 64 budeget, which are both polarized and would be the ones I would use the most, where I am going.

Thank you. I actually tried to get as close to the roses as possible or approx 1 ft above them. Had to raise up a bit to flyover the taller blooms.

I ended up getting the Freewell Bright Day-Camera Lens Filters Set 4Pack ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL which was about $69 USD. The filters seem to work pretty well and so fay no issues.

Sidd

Thanks for the info!
Good piloting, with the low flyovers. The reason I was asking about the zoom is that I was wondering if it could be a good way to keep the shadow of the Anafi off the picture.
Don't get me wrong, I do not think the shadow is necessarily objectionable in this specific footage, but I can imagine situations when I would want to fly low at dawn or in the evening, and the shadow might bother me, so perhaps flying higher and zooming in would work if that is a requirement?

Did you notice any colour cast when using the freewell filters?
I was considering getting some tomorrow, and it is a toss between the 4 you got and the 6 they retail as "budget".

I did see a bit of color cast but I think it was because the camera was set on auto and my position relative to the sun made a few shots really yellow.

In terms of the shadow I was more concerned in testing the lens so the drone shadow was not too much of a concern. I think in the future I would position the drone relative to the sun so that I was flying in a way that the drone does not cast a shadow.

For me I got a filters that were a bit more expensive as I think the grade of lens is a bit better. I am not so sure I would use a 64 ND in my travels. I did find a large statue that I am going to try with the filters to see if there is any difference. The roses worked really well because of all the colors it helps to compare what the filter is doing.

Also thanks Rocky for the thread reference.

Sidd

Reactions: McAl

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut