Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Should I get an Anafi??

dndrich

Reaction score
Anafi Pals:

I am a possible wannabe. I have been interested in getting a drone for travel, sailing, cycling, and fun. I have never flown one before. I have been looking at the Anafi, DJI Mavic Air, and Autel Evo. Each has their pluses and minuses for a new pilot. I am not looking at commercial video needs.

The Mavic Air looks good for a beginner, but one huge drawback is that it is loud. Really loud. That might be a deal killer for me. The Autel Evo looks very nice, but is a bit more expensive and bigger and heavier. Could be nice, but might be nice to have something lighter.

The Anafi looks very nice, and is apparently very quiet. That would be terrific. Evidently the two axis gimble is not a big issue with regards to image quality. The other two drones have 3 axis gimbles.

But the one concern I have is the lack of collision avoidance technology on the Anafi. I'm sure I would learn to fly properly, but how much of an issue is this? Do the collision avoidance hardware/software of the other two drones make much difference? Thoughts for a beginner?

Also, how is the charging using USB C with the Anafi? Slow? Good?

Would love to hear the opinion of users here. All the products are really nice, so it is great to have choices.

Get it. Fly smart. Is collision avoidance going to help a heavy twig or branch falling on your drone under a tree?

Hello,

Have several different types of drones, one is the Anafi. Another the Mavic 2 Pro, although the M2P has collision avoidance I leave it off. Perfer not using it, Under certain conditions it can be an issue.

Fly carefully, be aware of your surroundings. I think you’ll be okay getting a drone without it, and the Anafi Battery charging is fast. I use the three battery charger setup, same charger charges Skycontroller 3 as well.

Good luck and happy flying with your first drone, whatever it may be.

Paul

Last edited:
the Anafi is a fraction of the price of both the Evo or Mavic Pro....buyers choice to be honest... (y);):)

Best price-performance ratio. Ultra mobile, no drone is so quiet, ready to launch so quickly and the button on the gimbal control is more ergonomic than that of other drones.

And last but not least: absolutely qualitative film and picture material.

I had the same questions before I chose the Anafi.
To me, the quietness factor was important, the image quality and the ‘backpack compatibility’ was also important (as well as the price).
But any drone you mention will be good for your needs.
By the way, it is my first ‘serious’ drone and never had the need of obstacle avoidance....

Over the last six years or so I have amassed around 60, of what I’d describe as, serious hobby / consumer grade “Drones”. Just before last Xmas my wife bought me an Anafi as a birthday present. Since then it has been my GoTo and Grab Drone. I’m that impressed with its performance I ended up acquiring a second one as a backup.

As for lack of obstacle avoidance I started flying without it and even though I have it installed on other craft I’ve never found a need to use it. In fact it has been more of a hindrance especially when flying while the Sun is low in the sky as it confuses the sensors due to the glare.

For the money I think the features and performance of the optics and image quality is very good value.

Regards

Nidge.

I love the Anafi because it is so quiet, has a great camera, and is so easy to transport and set-up. I operate it from my bike often. The lack of obstacle avoidance was a big concern before I did much research, when I learned that it won't sense branches or wires! I figured I could learn to fly it precisely enough not to crash into a building. ;) So I did. Learning not to crash during the autonomous Flight Modes took a bit longer. That has to do with understanding the drones behavior and environment, not with manual control. There are hundreds of Drone How To's on YouTube.
I practiced a LOT before I tried to use it for the more serious video I wanted, like 20 hours worth. Here's a good place for beginner exercises:
Drone training series part 3 – Flying and training exercises | Propwashed

If you are patient enough to put in the time learning to fly precisely and intelligently you will have a ball with this little guy. Have a look at Drone 101 after you get it, and welcome to the Forum.

Reactions: Athlon21
Learning not to crash during the autonomous Flight Modes took a bit longer. That has to do with understanding the drones behavior and environment, not with manual control.

I practiced a LOT before I tried to use it for the more serious video I wanted, like 20 hours worth.

Here speaketh a wise man, pay heed.*

* - That's 'pay attention' for those not familiar with Ulster-Scots terminology!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky the FS
Well, I took the plunge. Drone arrives tomorrow! Should be an interesting adventure for sure. Assuming it survives my early learning, I will be posting for more advice! Thanks Anafipals!

Great and happy flying.

My Anafi isn't been flying yet because i would like to get my license first ... sept 21 is my lesson ?.... already tested the Anafi in the house, its already registered and ready to go. Registration for Belgium is OO-15CO

After perusing this site and watching videos etc on how to fly for a beginner, I decided also to buy a $40 cheap toy drone (Syma X5C) to learn how to fly manually first. That way I can crash galore and not worry. The Syma is fully manual including no GPS and ability to hover, so I figure if I get that down, flying the Anafi should be a breeze. Should be a fun journey!!

Reactions: MrWhippy
After perusing this site and watching videos etc on how to fly for a beginner, I decided also to buy a $40 cheap toy drone (Syma X5C) to learn how to fly manually first. That way I can crash galore and not worry. The Syma is fully manual including no GPS and ability to hover, so I figure if I get that down, flying the Anafi should be a breeze. Should be a fun journey!!
I think that's a good call - the cheap little toy drones with prop guards are ideal for people to get their feet wet and build confidence in using their more expensive photo drones - though in reality these GPS drones are so simple to fly, I think a lot of people are worrying over nothing (as long as you use some common sense and keep away from obstacles until a bit more familiar/comfortable with the controls).

....I decided also to buy a $40 cheap toy drone (Syma X5C) to learn how to fly manually first.
That's what I did, although I spent $80 on a 818A, which lost camera feed after one hour. They refunded me so I got a learner's permit for free! I must have crashed that thing a hundred times and by the time I got the Anafi two months later it was MUCH easier to fly and I've only had one crash which was a direct result of not understanding the behavior of a Follow Me when I tried to do that down a gully on my motorcycle. When I occasionally caught sight of it in the mirror getting lower and lower I did nothing until the gully narrowed and it crashed into a bush. Luckily it got only a few prop nicks.

That was the reason I put in that sentence about not flying with lots of obstructions until you have lots of experience into Drone School 101! ?

Speaking of using Follow Me on a motorcycle (or bicycle) I got this mount for my smartphone which has worked quite well:

Being able to see what the camera sees in any autonomous mode is key to avoiding crashes....I had it in my pocket during that one....not a lot of use there. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame