Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Smart battery’s

Anthony1980

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum

So hi everyone

I have just perchased two extra battery’s do these battery’s self discharge when left for over 10 days ?
Not connected to drone

Thanks

Yes but not as fast if they were connected to the UAV. I found they discharge very slowly just sitting there without the UAV.

And welcome.

One other important point you may miss in reading the owners manual. The batteries go into a hibernation mode when they have been in storage for a while (not sure of the length of time). They will still have a charge but when you mount them to the Anafi and press the power button nothing happens. I was in panic mode when all three of my batteries did this but then remembered something about this and to get them out of this hibernation mode you have to plug them in as if to charge them to wake them up. You don't need to actually charge them but when you plug them in to the charging cable the leds will flash and the batteries are now "awake". Mine had about a 75% charge so you can start flying if you like with the understanding that the flight time will be somewhat compromised.

Hi new to the forum

So hi everyone

I have just perchased two extra battery’s do these battery’s self discharge when left for over 10 days ?
Not connected to drone

Thanks

Yes the batteries start to self-discharge after 10 days. However, the discharge itself takes 2 days, so after 12 days you have to put a charger on the battery to wake them up again.

There is no difference in how long it takes if the battery is sitting in Anafi or if it is in your drawer.

It will be an advantage if you only charge the number of batteries you use for the flight and leave the rest in hibernation mode.

Would recommend you read page 29 of the manual on the batteries.

Regards, Leif.

Yes there is a difference in voltage drop during the same time if it is in the Anafi or not. The voltage drop is a lot larger when in the Anafi.

Strange as I actually measured a lot on those batteries and did not find the difference you describe.

If you measure the batteries you will see the voltage drop by about 0.2-0.3 volts in the first 10 days before the smart battery begins to discharge itself. Maybe that's the voltage drop you've measured ?

Unfortunately, I cannot measure each cell's internal impedance without separating the battery. It is otherwise a good indicator of the general state of the battery.

And then one should note that the more charges a battery has been exposed to, the greater the self-discharge seemed to be those first 10 days.

Regards, Leif.

I used to leave my battery in the Anafi after it was fully charged and go fly the next day only to find it was discharged a lot more then expected. I started leaving it out and just left in my camera bag and found the discharge was not as bad if I had left in the Anafi. I think the Anafi uses some power from the battery as the two main leads are always active and are never really shut right off. Perhaps a internal clock or something like computers use. Not sure what might be using some of the battery voltage but I do notice a difference.

I used to leave my battery in the Anafi after it was fully charged and go fly the next day only to find it was discharged a lot more then expected. I started leaving it out and just left in my camera bag and found the discharge was not as bad if I had left in the Anafi. I think the Anafi uses some power from the battery as the two main leads are always active and are never really shut right off. Perhaps a internal clock or something like computers use. Not sure what might be using some of the battery voltage but I do notice a difference.

Don't you think it is because you have a whole lot of flights on that battery, according to my last post. I know from all your writing that there have also been a major problems with obtaining batteries in Canada. ;)

Regards, Leif.

Funny thing with even my oldest battery, the one that spent all winter out side in the snow still reads 100% good in the app.
Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Funny thing with even my oldest battery, the one that spent all winter out side in the snow still reads 100% good in the app.
View attachment 1798
Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

And so you find it not suspicious that the same battery still seems like a brand new one ?

How many flights do you have on the battery that wintered up in that tree ?

Regards, Leif.

I find it difficult to compare the discharge of my batteries. All 3 fully charged and one of them staying in Anafi, they are all in hibernate mode after about 12 days.
And if I wanted to fly lets say 3 days after the fully charge, there are smaller differences in the charging level shown in FF6 (< +- 5%) at startup. These differences are normal, I think.

Reactions: Landbo
And so you find it not suspicious that the same battery still seems like a brand new one ?

How many flights do you have on the battery that wintered up in that tree ?

Regards, Leif.

Everything I have read about Lipo batteries is heat does much more damage to a lipo battery then the cold. Many of the old RC modellers used to keep their lipo batteries in a fridge when in storage believing it slowed down the chemical reaction that destroys lipo batteries.

What might have occured with the battery out in the cold for 2.5 months might be explained here.
Storage induces two forms of losses: Self-discharge that can be refilled with charging before use, and non-recoverable losses that permanently lower the capacity. Table 2 illustrates the remaining capacities of lithium- and nickel-based batteries after one year of storage at various temperatures. Li-ion has higher losses if stored fully charged rather than at a SoC of 40 percent.

Table 2: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing a battery for one year. Elevated temperature hastens permanent capacity loss. Depending on battery type, lithium-ion is also sensitive to charge levels.

Batteries are often exposed to unfavorable temperatures, and leaving a mobile phone or camera on the dashboard of a car or in the hot sun are such examples. Laptops get warm when in use and this increases the battery temperature. Sitting at full charge while plugged into the mains shortens battery life. Elevated temperature also stresses lead- and nickel-based batteries.

Simple Guidelines for Storing Batteries
  • Primary batteries store well. Alkaline and primary lithium batteries can be stored for 10 years with moderate loss capacity.
  • When storing, remove the battery from the equipment and place in a dry and cool place.
  • Charge lead acid before storing and monitor the voltage or specific gravity frequently; apply a charge if below 2.07V/cell or if SG is below 1.225 (most starter batteries).
  • Nickel-based batteries can be stored for 3–5years, even at zero voltage; prime before use.
  • Lithium-ion must be stored in a charged state, ideally at 40 percent. This prevents the battery from dropping below 2.50V/cell, triggering sleep mode.
  • Discard Li-ion if kept below 2.00/V/cell for more than a week. Also discard if the voltage does not recover normally after storage.

Reactions: pmh1nic
Everything I have read about Lipo batteries is heat does much more damage to a lipo battery then the cold. Many of the old RC modellers used to keep their lipo batteries in a fridge when in storage believing it slowed down the chemical reaction that destroys lipo batteries.

What might have occured with the battery out in the cold for 2.5 months might be explained here.
Storage induces two forms of losses: Self-discharge that can be refilled with charging before use, and non-recoverable losses that permanently lower the capacity. Table 2 illustrates the remaining capacities of lithium- and nickel-based batteries after one year of storage at various temperatures. Li-ion has higher losses if stored fully charged rather than at a SoC of 40 percent.
View attachment 1800

Table 2: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing a battery for one year. Elevated temperature hastens permanent capacity loss. Depending on battery type, lithium-ion is also sensitive to charge levels.

Batteries are often exposed to unfavorable temperatures, and leaving a mobile phone or camera on the dashboard of a car or in the hot sun are such examples. Laptops get warm when in use and this increases the battery temperature. Sitting at full charge while plugged into the mains shortens battery life. Elevated temperature also stresses lead- and nickel-based batteries.

Simple Guidelines for Storing Batteries
  • Primary batteries store well. Alkaline and primary lithium batteries can be stored for 10 years with moderate loss capacity.
  • When storing, remove the battery from the equipment and place in a dry and cool place.
  • Charge lead acid before storing and monitor the voltage or specific gravity frequently; apply a charge if below 2.07V/cell or if SG is below 1.225 (most starter batteries).
  • Nickel-based batteries can be stored for 3–5years, even at zero voltage; prime before use.
  • Lithium-ion must be stored in a charged state, ideally at 40 percent. This prevents the battery from dropping below 2.50V/cell, triggering sleep mode.
  • Discard Li-ion if kept below 2.00/V/cell for more than a week. Also discard if the voltage does not recover normally after storage.

Sorry but what you show without source is nothing new to me. The wear and tear on a Li-Po battery is heat, too high/low voltage and the number of charges in that order.

What I'm trying to find out about is how many charges your batteries have since they matter to the discharge of a Li-Po battery. In particular, it seemed to apply to Li-HV type Anafi batteries.

But as I said before, none of my two Anafias have discharged the battery when they are turned off. There must be an electrical fault in your Anafi since it discharges the battery.

Regards, Leif.

What I'm trying to find out about is how many charges your batteries have since they matter to the discharge of a Li-Po battery.
Sorry but since the App is so poorly written with the lack of charging info I would only be guessing on the number of times the battery has been charged. My best guess would be around 50.
As for reference you can read over this page if you get bored

If FF6 had a good info screen like the starlink App for the X-Star i would be able to say more accurately but it does not. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ibrah99