Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stabilisation glitch - just an FYI

Efliernz

Reaction score
Website
www.ascendphotography.co.nz
37th flight...

While giving a demo, the Anafi had a sudden 90-deg un-commanded yaw glitch.
20 seconds after the glitch, the video (software stabilisation) failed. Fixed by re-powering the Anafi.
The video downlink to the phone looked as bad as what was recorded...

All fixed after the re-power but if you get a flight control glitch, I suggest re-powering before continuing with further flying. Quite simply, you shouldn't get a glitch (not just a bump... but a huge 90-deg yaw type glitch) - even in rough weather. The flight stablisation is awesome on modern drones so if it happens - I suggest a re-power to restart everything. Yes it was bumpy conditions but I flew in worse yesterday and it rocked!

Reactions: AaronB
Do you think that the winds were causing the Anafi to tilt so much to compensate that it was causing the gimbel to hit the limits of its movement? If you have the JSON file of the flight you can run it through the software the h-elsner has produced and look at the telemetry.
You can find it here for windows 64 bit http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/ShowAnafiLog.zip

37th flight...

While giving a demo, the Anafi had a sudden 90-deg un-commanded yaw glitch.
20 seconds after the glitch, the video (software stabilisation) failed. Fixed by re-powering the Anafi.
The video downlink to the phone looked as bad as what was recorded...
I've encountered exactly the same at 0:12, however I was flying off a 100m cliff when a wind gust hit - not exactly a relaxing experience. Strangely enough the Anafi returned home without further incident despite continuing gusts? I can confirm it could be related to wind turbulence. I am now in the habit of performing a reset on the Anafi and recalibration before doing anything risky.

Reactions: Efliernz
I just found the footage - shown here at 0:09 - I was also zoomed in at the time.

Cool... not just me!

Yes it was windy but there was serious turbulence with the bushes everywhere. I’d already flown my old diy Hoverfly Pro Quad (no gps) and I know it WAS bumpy.
There’s a huge difference between a constant (or gusty) 40km/hr wind and rough air. I guess I found a limit ?

That looked pretty squally at 1:32 with the angle she was working on there, Pete! I was surprised by how stable mine was on Friday down at Port Adelaide, where it was about 25 k/ph atAGL - 10 metres & about 40 k/ph at 40 metres.

Can someone explain what this reset is? Or how it's performed, please? Is it where you hold the power button until the lights all go red while powered up?

I save all my flights details... I’ll analyse tonight. I’m a tech support engineer... I sort-of have to ??. Too busy out walking enjoying summer ?
In h-elsner's software if you click on any header in the raw data screen it will open another window with a graph of that column. The units for tilt are in radians and other units and different headers can be selected in the settings screen.

Thanks for the confirmation that I had it right! Will make an effort to perform this irregularly, just in case.
I can't say for sure if it will prevent those mysterious fly aways - but like a computer, if you don't do a full restart occasionally then you are bound to get that sudden blue screen of death...

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
I can't say for sure if it will prevent those mysterious fly aways - but like a computer, if you don't do a full restart occasionally then you are bound to get that sudden blue screen of death...
Makes sense, especially after my recent encounter with a drone eating tree leaping out in front of my precious Anafi, I'd rather do this every now & then. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut