Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Step by step learning to fly

Will-I-Am

Reaction score
Hi Pilots

New in using (flying) the Anafi and again a question how to start, are these steps OK?:
  1. I have a iPhone X for using with the Skycontroller 3. Both are connected with the cable
  2. I connect the iPhone with the Wifi channel of the Anafi
  3. Set the iPhone in airplane mode with only the wifi on
  4. Go flying
Hope this is the correct way to max. range with the Anafi when flying.

• Thanks!

Thanks !!

So iPhone X in airplane mode (All off) en the de Skycontroller is doing the wifi connection with the Anafi?

There are two different methods of flying the Anafi. One is a wifi connection using only the smartphone, in which case the phone is not in airplane mode and the phone's wifi has to find the drone's wifi and connect. Then you use the virtual controller in the FF6 app. The other method is to turn airplane mode on and connect the phone via the cable to the SC3 controller. In this mode the phone is merely a screen to view the app and the camera'view as well as a GPS source so the drone knows the position of the controller. You can still use the virtual buttons in the app, but you are controlling movements of the drone with the sticks and camera pan and zoom levers.

Both methods have their uses, such as phone only when doing a follow me, when the phone has to be on the subject being followed, and controller and phone when precision flying is needed and for maximum range.

;)
Thank you.

Tis is excactly wy i'm confused what to do. I try'd flying with the iphone's wifi and all works well. Than i read that i have to put the iphone in airplane mode ...

So there are pro's and con's for using the iphone in airplane mode or not.

Sins i'm a beginner i don't whant to 'lose' my Anafi by using the wrong wifi connection ...

;)
Thank you.

Tis is excactly wy i'm confused what to do. I try'd flying with the iphone's wifi and all works well. Than i read that i have to put the iphone in airplane mode ...

Sins i'm a beginner i don't whant to 'lose' my Anafi by using the wrong wifi connection ...

Put the iPhone in airplane mode with wifi off when using the Sky Controller for flight.

;)
Thank you.

If you try using the phone by itself in airplane mode you will not get a connection since wifi is off and the drone will just sit there.
So: Airplane mode On....you must use the SC3 controller cabled to the phone. Phone's wifi is off.
Airplane mode Off....you may use the phone as a controller without the SC3.....just as you have already done. Phone's wifi is on and has found and connected to the drone.

Now I think I have forgotten a few times to turn airplane mode on when using the SC3 and it still worked, but it is poor practice because each phone or tablet may have different reactions to the two wifi signals competing. I have a printed checklist for these and other reasons, but I forget to look at it sometimes! ?

Now, if you are a brand new drone pilot, I highly recommend flying low and close, say 30 meters away and 10 meters high at first. Learn to control the drone precisely and smoothly in all orientations, nose pointing away, nose pointing towards you, nose pointing 45 degrees left or right, then 90 degrees left or right, climbing or descending while turning, etc. Use some markers to make a course and practice, practice, practice over a nice grassy field.

This site has a good training regimen: Drone training series part 3 – Flying and training exercises | Propwashed

As many pilots have learned the hard way, going for max range is an excellent way to lose your drone.....permanently! Personally I try to keep it in sight, but occasionally I have taken it out about a mile....that still makes me quite nervous and I get a real sense of relief when I hear it back overhead on a RTH ! :oops: I'm not the slightest bit interested in finding max range.....I just watch the videos. Some of those guys must have money to burn!

Last edited:
Hi Pilots

New in using (flying) the Anafi and again a question how to start, are these steps OK?:
  1. I have a iPhone X for using with the Skycontroller 3. Both are connected with the cable
  4. Go flying

• Thanks!
Please download and read the manual for the Anafi...It has a lot of info regarding the majority of what you'll need to get going...

Hi Pilots

4. Go flying

• Thanks!
OK, To make this as simple as possible, If you are using the controller to fly the Anafi, you do not need a WIFI connection to the drone ( all communication to the drone is done through the controller) and the phone, which is connected to the controller with a cable, is basically just an interface/view screen. The controller itself does not have any GPS... that is handled by the drone and phone so location/GPS on the phone/device should be left on.
It is recommended that you put the phone in "airplane mode" (WIFI off) to eliminate any interference from a WIFI signal from the phone affecting that controller to drone link............
Now, if you are controlling the Anafi with just the phone..... you will need to have the WIFI on (the phone) and then connect to the Anafi's WIFI ( the password should be on a label in the Anafi's case)just as if you were connecting to a WIFI hotspot somewhere or at home. It does NOT need internet access, just a wireless connection to the drone, so disregard anything that is advising about no internet connection.

A good point was brought up about the new drone pilot flying low and close at first.
I have been flying drones for a few years now and still do that when first taking off just to make sure the drone and controller are communicating with each other.
Enjoy your drone. They are amazing fun and great for getting video from an all new perspective.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
summary: there are 2 ways to fly the drone 1.- only with the phone, connect wifi between the drone and the phone. 2.- use the anafi remote control, connected to the telephone cable. the phone in airplane mode turned off all connections (wifi-bluetooth) and used the phone only as a display. those are the 2 ways? Another question of how anafi sounds, stop being silly but not very friendly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut