Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Thinking of switching to Anafi

Shiningmonk

Reaction score
Following the loss of my faulty DJI Spark (thankfully, it was covered by the warranty, so I got my money back), I'm thinking of getting an Anafi, and would welcome views on the following:

1. Is it noticeably quieter than other drones? I don't want it to spook my dogs, as the Spark did.

2. Does the absence of collision detection make a discernable difference? I'm fairly new at flying though would consider myself a responsible pilot.

3. How user friendly is the Android app, particularly for flying missions and defining waypoints? I've not been able to find any instructional videos on this.

Thanks in advance

SM

1- Anafi is one of the quietest models out there. It is far more capable than a Spark in almost every way.

2- That's a personal question, I don't use OA, even on my Mavic2 with OA in all directions, I turn it off. I like the simplicity of the Anafi and as you say, one needs to just fly with care.

3- I'm not an Android user but I believe the Parrot supports Android slightly better/faster than IOS. I believe waypoints are fairly easy but I don't use that feature either, it's got applications but not something I'd use often.

Following the loss of my faulty DJI Spark (thankfully, it was covered by the warranty, so I got my money back), I'm thinking of getting an Anafi, and would welcome views on the following:

1. Is it noticeably quieter than other drones? I don't want it to spook my dogs, as the Spark did.

2. Does the absence of collision detection make a discernable difference? I'm fairly new at flying though would consider myself a responsible pilot.

3. How user friendly is the Android app, particularly for flying missions and defining waypoints? I've not been able to find any instructional videos on this.

Thanks in advance

SM

I also HAD a Spark and replaced that with the Anafi so here are my replies:

Yes, absolutely much quieter than other drones especially the Spark or even worse... the Mavic Air! I can't tell you for sure that it won't "spook" your dogs but it is much quieter so it shouldn't be as bad especially if 20-30 feet from them!

The collision avoidance (or lack there-of) is honestly, kind of a judgment call, in my opinion. Meaning, if you relied on it with the Spark, you will probably miss it on the Anafi. As posted above, I rarely had it "activate" on the Spark unless I was really just trying to push it in as close as I could. There is no substitute for flying and getting the experience of judging your distance and "planning" your flight area.

As mentioned above, the Parrot app is much more Android "friendly" than DJI's was. I, personally, think the Anafi's app runs smoother and is more intuitive with a few more choices/settings being right there on the main screen instead of being a few clicks behind another menu. Comparing to the Spark ( which had zero waypoint ability in the DJI app) it is great. It IS an additional purchase (.99USD) but is really quite nice! The best thing about the waypoint set up in the Anafi app is the ability to set up waypoints WAY out of remote control range! It will complete the mission if the connection is lost then come back to wherever you set as the last point! There are a number of videos on Youtube that go into some detail about the "Parrot Flight Plan" Mode and setting it up...I know there were a few specifically for the Anafi but the BeBop2's set up for that is very similar so maybe look for that also?

Last edited:
Extremely quiet, probably on the level of the Tello.

In the default mode and settings you would have to crash it on purpose. I've never had obstacle avoids on any of my drones so don't miss it.

The app is very user friendly and intuitive.

Since getting my Anafi (a birthday pressie from my wife just before Xmas last) I have not touched my Spark.

As everyone else has pointed out it is significantly quieter, so much so that when I was inspecting my roof with the Anafi my neighbour didn’t realise I was flying a drone.

There is more flexibility to adjust the control response, rates and expo, to suit different flight requirements.

I think it is much more stable than the Spark, this maybe down to the fact it has a bigger footprint when the arms are unfolded. This larger footprint means you don’t get the props in shot even when flying in Sport mode.

Lack of Obstacle Avoidance. Never used it on the Spark so never been an issue for me.

Flight times. The Spark is advertised as being able to stay airborne for 16 mins but in the real world 12mins is the reported average. The Anafi is capable of a genuine 25min flight time.

I do think the camera on the Spark is excellent for what it is however the Anafi Camera provides the user significantly greater flexibility and creativity. Like the Spark the Anafi camera is electronically stabilised on the Yaw axis but Parrot have made this more natural acting than DJI.

One of the big issues with the DJIGO4 App is that it has been authored for a multitude of DJI products and has become extremely bloated. This can be an issue when DJI release an update for one product as it can have an adverse effect for another product. Parrot’s FreeFlight6 is (at the moment) specifically written and optimised for the Anafi. I mainly use it on Android (Galaxy S7) as my iPad doesn’t have GPS and therefore some of the autonomous features won’t work

DJI have not shown the Spark any love for over a year(firmware and feature updates) and rumours are that it is no longer in production. DJI appear to be good like that, they release a product and within a year they lose interest in it and hype something else.

Regards

Nidge

I have and use both the Spark and Anafi, but for me they are very different tools used for different purposes. Anafi is a 4k quad with much longer flight times. It is also much larger and requires a controller of some kind to pilot (even if it is your phone). Spark on the other hand, is much more portable and suitable for selfies. My Spark is more of a travel companion for me, whether it be out on the golf course, kayaking with the wife, a quick run to a local pond to go ice skating, etc. I take it with me in the Hermit Hardshell travel case and it fits anywhere. Hand gesturing piloting means I can pull it out, power up, hand take off in a matter of seconds and I'm taking video in Active Track mode before my wife of other golf buddy has even selected a club and hit her/his next shot. No fuss. If need be, however, I can get some VERY good vacation aerial photos and videos when using the radio controller. I am not a fan of piloting with my phone. Flight times are pretty limited.

Anafi, on the other hand is a far more suitable quad for cinematic videos and photography. She is an absolutely pleasure to fly. I get about 25 minutes on a battery and, with three batteries in tote, can be out for an afternoon of movie making. However, I would NOT want to bring Anafi on a round of golf with me -- too much fumbling around to get her up in the air and taking pics/video.

(My Tello gets me through the long winters of the Northeast when you cannot as easily or often go outside and fly the Spark or Anafi.)

I've heard it said that the Spark is the only camera drone that most people will ever need. I don't think I can disagree with that. I happen to be fortunate enough to have an understanding wife that allows me my hobbies and so I have more than one drone because I want them. If pressed though, and could only have one, I am probably choosing the Spark because of:

1. Portability
2. Versatility (while not 4k, Spark takes excellent pics and videos); with the separate controller, you can still send the Spark far and high - not AS far as Anafi, but far enough)
3. Cost (heaven forbid I lost my Spark, it's a little less painful to replace than Anafi).
4. Extra batteries are 1/2 the price of Anafi batteries (but 1/2 the flight time).

Those are my thoughts from my perspective. This is obviously a very personal choice based upon what YOU want to do with your drone.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
I found its Android app is better than the IOS when it first launched. They are both fine now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adel91