Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tips for Orthoimagery

PinellasPIC

Reaction score
Hi all,

My organization recently purchased an Anafi and I just wanted to reach out for some advice. We'll primarily be using the Anafi for updating our aerial with new neighborhoods/developments, etc. I've performed several test flights and processed them in Drone2Map. The last one turned out pretty well, but I'm curious if any of you with experience here could share your flight plan settings (I'm using FreeFlight 6). Last flight I was flying at 200ft, taking JPEG/Rect. images at 5 sec intervals, with about 35-40ft in between each pass. I also went back over to create a grid pattern to help with 3D mapping (something we're interested in). What are your thoughts? Is this sufficient? Are there any other settings I could tweak to improve coverage, clarity, outcome, etc? Also, those with experience in D2M, are there any tips or tricks I could implement there to help? Thanks.

-J

Reactions: Randy Jones
A bit late... I'm using as much as +/- 80% overlap and 65% sidelap ; speed in relation to altitude, GSD and the camera definition (using a gross approximation with basic trigonometry) for processing with ODM.

The terrain makes a huge difference, if it's mostly low buildings or vegetation it's usually much easier, than with higher trees, pylons/towers, power lines, which are usually very tricky, maybe less from a great heigth...

People and vehicles moving between frames can add weird deformations.

Light also makes a difference, without some direct sunlight there is less contrast and orthomaps often take more time to draw if there are not enough features on the ground...

I don't do 3D now but I heard about a 2nd pass at an angle, eg 20°, different altitude, and the camera at a small angle instead of vertical.

Reactions: Randy Jones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut