Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vertical camera failure error

I got it sorted the second time, took the motherboard off and removed the vertical camera plug from the motherboard and two bits of plastic that located the plug had broken off...glued one back on a glued plug to the motherboard and its back flying now but still not sure why it fell from the sky in the first place...

How much were the motherboard and body?
330 USD, from the Dronivo.de website. Complete central body, main camera, gimbal, motherboad, hull, whitout arms and GPS module.

Reactions: Top Drone
I have the camera failure issue no video...contacted parrot and did the updates and resets...no luck it looks like surgery is scheduled for tonight... thank you all for your posts cause you all have saved me a ton of time from dealing with parrot..

Reactions: Top Drone
I have the camera failure issue no video...contacted parrot and did the updates and resets...no luck it looks like surgery is scheduled for tonight... thank you all for your posts cause you all have saved me a ton of time from dealing with parrot..

Watch the YouTube video as your doing it, have good lighting, head torch and some sort of magnifying glass, I borrowed my dads reading glasses that helped a lot...and dont rush things?

First, I tried warranty support. They wanted flight data, which I did not have. So not an option. Then I tried all of the above and nothing helped. Then I opened the white camera housing (removing four screws), which was super easy, and I pressed lightly on the connectors at the backside of the camera assembly. Leaving the housing off, I tried a fresh drone start - and it worked! No camera error, and vertical angle movement restored. It was a bit harder to reassemble the camera housing - be careful about the wires it covers! And now it only works every second time or so. Good enough!

Did you try to open the Anafi (super easy) and snap off and back on the 2 camera connectors to the main board (step 6 on the Anafi repair instruction video from Parrot).
I had the problem a few days ago (after a collision with a 25 meter oak tree), and now it works perfectly (had video feedback problems and vertical camera error)

Mine suffered this fate after only 20 mins flying time, after over 2 hours on phone to currys/pc world agreed to replace it....

Did you try to open the Anafi (super easy) and snap off and back on the 2 camera connectors to the main board (step 6 on the Anafi repair instruction video from Parrot).
I had the problem a few days ago (after a collision with a 25 meter oak tree), and now it works perfectly (had video feedback problems and vertical camera error)
Yes, I tried that before opening the camera housing, but it made no difference in my particular case.

Reactions: MustangPhil
I just ran into this issue. The drone crashed from low altitude - approx 1m up - onto a hard surface. No damage to the exterior but after resetting everything I received the "Vertical camera failure, please call Parrot support" error and the drone would not take off. The drone is just out of warranty and does not have much flight time but I contacted Parrot support and they responded with something to the effect of "Due to physical damage it is not covered by warranty" and then basically go to the Parrot website and buy the part and fix it yourself. Note that no mention of the crash was made in the initial support request which raises some unrelated suspicions. This pretty much soured me initially on Parrot's support and left me with a $700 paperweight but they did follow up several days later and offered the usual suggestions - uninstall/reinstall the app, reset the network settings on the phone, reset the drone. calibrate - which did not change anything and after my response the support tech informed me that they were going to escalate the support request so we'll see what becomes of that but it is out of warranty anyway unless they are considering a goodwill repair. I did come across the disassembly procedures and some other users who had encountered the same problem so I disassembled as far as mainboard removal, checked the connectors, reassembled and still got the error. I did notice what appeared to be a small 'pimple' on the ribbon cable to the sensor that just happened to line up with the end of the plastic retainer for one of the RF connector leads. After disassembling and reassembling numerous times to no avail I figured the sensor was bad, probably due to damage to the wiring in the ribbon cable. I was able to source a used sensor on eBay since Parrot had none listed on their spare parts page and installed it. This seemed to do the trick.

My best guess is that the way it crashed, despite being very low altitude, caused the mainboard to slam into the lower cover (the rubber isolation mounting pins are very stretchy) pinching the ribbon cable between the retainer and the cover. I have attached pics of the front and back of the ribbon cable in case someone finds this useful. On the back side you can see a light depression between the legs of the 'R' in the part number. I personally found it difficult to believe that this resulted in severing a connection but the cable is definitely displaced and attempting to flatten it with a fingernail does not reduce it any so apparently that is what happened.P6010878.JPGP6020879.JPG

One question... I noticed that several users say they disconnected and reconnected the connector to the sensor. My unit has a metal retainer soldered in place that appears to have been designed to prevent the flat connectors from coming apart. When I replaced the sensor I had to bend it gently out of the way in order to disconnect it. Also, I noticed prior to bending it that there was a small bit of clearance between the back of the flat connector and the retainer so I made a small shim to take up the space to prevent problems with the connector disconnecting spontaneously. My question is... it that metal retainer part of the original design or is it a later revision added due to problems with the sensor and sd card connections?

Another example here of a root cause for the Vertical Camera Error.

Similar to colin.dumitru’s experience above, after a (modest) crash, the motherboard connector for the vertical camera came loose. I agree with Colin that the metal retaining clip intended to hold the connector in place does not exert sufficient force.

Very detailed instructions can be found online to get to you to the back of the motherboard.

And also there’s a document here which helps…
https://www.parrot.com/files/s3fs-public/firmware/how_to_repair_anafi.pdf

My pictures are below showing the slightly displaced connector. Simply pushing the connector back in place and securing has fixed the problem.
Thanks for the help, I managed to solve the problem of mine that is molding in the closet!

I just ran into this issue. The drone crashed from low altitude - approx 1m up - onto a hard surface. No damage to the exterior but after resetting everything I received the "Vertical camera failure, please call Parrot support" error and the drone would not take off. The drone is just out of warranty and does not have much flight time but I contacted Parrot support and they responded with something to the effect of "Due to physical damage it is not covered by warranty" and then basically go to the Parrot website and buy the part and fix it yourself. Note that no mention of the crash was made in the initial support request which raises some unrelated suspicions. This pretty much soured me initially on Parrot's support and left me with a $700 paperweight but they did follow up several days later and offered the usual suggestions - uninstall/reinstall the app, reset the network settings on the phone, reset the drone. calibrate - which did not change anything and after my response the support tech informed me that they were going to escalate the support request so we'll see what becomes of that but it is out of warranty anyway unless they are considering a goodwill repair. I did come across the disassembly procedures and some other users who had encountered the same problem so I disassembled as far as mainboard removal, checked the connectors, reassembled and still got the error. I did notice what appeared to be a small 'pimple' on the ribbon cable to the sensor that just happened to line up with the end of the plastic retainer for one of the RF connector leads. After disassembling and reassembling numerous times to no avail I figured the sensor was bad, probably due to damage to the wiring in the ribbon cable. I was able to source a used sensor on eBay since Parrot had none listed on their spare parts page and installed it. This seemed to do the trick.

My best guess is that the way it crashed, despite being very low altitude, caused the mainboard to slam into the lower cover (the rubber isolation mounting pins are very stretchy) pinching the ribbon cable between the retainer and the cover. I have attached pics of the front and back of the ribbon cable in case someone finds this useful. On the back side you can see a light depression between the legs of the 'R' in the part number. I personally found it difficult to believe that this resulted in severing a connection but the cable is definitely displaced and attempting to flatten it with a fingernail does not reduce it any so apparently that is what happened.View attachment 4278View attachment 4279

One question... I noticed that several users say they disconnected and reconnected the connector to the sensor. My unit has a metal retainer soldered in place that appears to have been designed to prevent the flat connectors from coming apart. When I replaced the sensor I had to bend it gently out of the way in order to disconnect it. Also, I noticed prior to bending it that there was a small bit of clearance between the back of the flat connector and the retainer so I made a small shim to take up the space to prevent problems with the connector disconnecting spontaneously. My question is... it that metal retainer part of the original design or is it a later revision added due to problems with the sensor and sd card connections?

Forgot to post an update to this issue. Ultimately I never did hear back from Parrot support but was able to source a used vertical camera sensor on eBay since spare parts availability from a parrot is a joke. Installed the replacement sensor and everything is fine now so it was either a failed sensor or the ribbon cable I called out in the quoted post that was the issue.

Similar to colin.dumitru’s experience above, after a (modest) crash, the motherboard connector for the vertical camera came loose. I agree with Colin that the metal retaining clip intended to hold the connector in place does not exert sufficient force.

Very detailed instructions can be found online to get to you to the back of the motherboard.

My pictures are below showing the slightly displaced connector. Simply pushing the connector back in place and securing has fixed the problem.
I've got the same Vertical Camera Failure problem after a very short fall from a picnic table. No amount of resetting has remedied the issue, so I've dismantled the drone. I've got the motherboard out, but rather than having a simple reseating of the connector, I see there's soldered on metal clip. I was good up until this point. Let's hope my desoldering effort doesn't destroy the board.

dear user of parrot Anafi, customer service is very bad. I have been calling them for two weeks an answering machine" we are upgrading system, our service will be back very soon" . I managed to solve the camera problem after crashing and falling from 148 m high. A resister on the mother board was loose. It was re installed properly and thanks God(Allah) message disappeared. When started again another message (because of the crash) propellers were not moving freely. The base where the screw is to be tightened is bent. Try to warm it up with a hair drier and fix it strait and change all propellers( message disappeared and drone worked perfectly.
Best Wishes from K U W A I T .

Attachments

• resister anafi.jpg
    resister anafi.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 53
I found it is easier to buy replacement and break the failed unit down for parts (if you cannot find part). I have had to do that several times usually I can get away spending 100-150 after selling parts. Its not worth the aggravation dealing with Parrot.

I've got the same Vertical Camera Failure problem after a very short fall from a picnic table. No amount of resetting has remedied the issue, so I've dismantled the drone. I've got the motherboard out, but rather than having a simple reseating of the connector, I see there's soldered on metal clip. I was good up until this point. Let's hope my desoldering effort doesn't destroy the board.
I ran into the same issue with the connector under the soldered in place metal retaining clip. I reseated the connector and made a thin shim from an old credit card which I wedged between the clip and the connector so that it doesn't come apart.

Olá. Tenho o mesmo problema. Como faço para remover e reinstalar o aplicativo?
スマホからアプリをアンインストールする方法を知らない人は、どうやってドローンを飛ばしたり、操作したりしたいのでしょうか?

Hi all,

Thread resurrection! We had an Anafi at work sat on the shelf for the past almost 2 years, it had been sat there due to this fault. Due to non use, today it was written off, out of warranty and unsupported for repair.

Following the write off, I was asked, as a drone pilot, if I wanted to take it and see if I can repair at my own expense to then keep the drone.

Just spent 10 minutes investigating using the advice above.
Hey presto, free drone 🤣

Cheers guys!

Reactions: BRC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh