Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vertical camera failure error

His video has nothing to do with the Anafi problem. It was for the Bebop2 and no where close to the Anafi's problem.
He just seems to be trying to promote his channel and is being watched by the staff of the forum.
I’m just trying to grow my channel, how do you think other youtubers get so popular

Did you unsolder the metal clip that holds the vertical camera ribbon cable connector to be able to remove the ribbon cable from the motherboard?

This is the first thread Google returns when searching for "Vertical camera failure" for the Anafi, so I'll just post my findings here.

I had the same problem as everyone else; after updating firmware on the drone, I get a "Vertical camera error" message and the drone no longer responds to commands.

Long story short, at least in my particular case, it seems to be a manufacturing defect with the vertical camera connector to the motherboard, in that it can move to the side and the pins no longer line up. I initially though it was from a recent crash I had with the drone, but looking at the connector with a microscope I see no deformity in either the connector itself or the slot on the motherboard, which is why I suspect this to be a manufacturing defect, where the tolerances are off and the connector can move out of its place.

You can bend the metal bit which is holding the connector in place, to try and lift it up and re-position it. But even if you manage to insert it correctly, it requires very little force to push it out of its correct place. So what I've done is that I've glued it into place, and so far I haven't had any issues with it.

I've given a reference image as to how the connector can move about. From my reference image, the connect can slide leftwards, meaning you have to push it rightwards to move into place. If you look from the bottom very carefully, you can see if the pins are aligned or not.

Considering that this is likely a manufacturing defect and can't be solved through software, if its still under warranty, your best option is to have it replaced.

Reactions: MichiganAndMore
I am new to this Forum but I have the same "Vertical Camera Failure" Message on screen. The drone powers on, all signals good, video works , it initializes,... but cannot take off . I followed the various solutions here (A) Resetting , (B) disassembling the Motherboard and checking the Vertical camera connections, it all looks good, but to no avail.

Filed a report with Parrot and waiting to hear back from them. Unfortunately, I bought mine over a year ago and it is definitely out of warranty.

Any other ideas, comments? Appreciate it. Other than this, the drone has been great!

P.S. I should mention this happened after I accidentally ran into some tree branches and drone fell off :(

Reactions: MichiganAndMore
I found the vertical camera connection to be very touchy. Could not get it to work until I unsoldered the hold down clip for the vertical camera cable, separated the connector and plugged it back in. The connector does not snap in very solidly so even that took a couple of tries.

Just got off the phone with technician at Parrot and he sent me two emails (content of 1st email see below). Basically they want me to reset and restart everything from scratch (including installation of the App). If that does not work, then it is most likely a hardware issue (most likely due to it crashing to tree branches ) and second email has direction to send back the drone....

Just thought to share this info here

------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Parrot Customer Support.

Please follow the below steps to help you with the issue.
- Delete the Free flight application.
- Go to settings and search for network settings the search bar will be located on the top of settings just type down network settings.
- Choose reset network settings, "Make sure that you are only resetting the network settings nothing else as you don't want to lose all the data on your phone".
- Restart your phone.
- Download the application again.
- Reset the drone by pressing on the On and Off button for 15 seconds and then let go.
- Connect the Drone to your phone Via WiFi.
- Calibrate the Drone.
- After following these steps the issue should be resolved.

Finally,
Please press reply on this email and tell me if the steps mentioned above were helpful !

I found the vertical camera connection to be very touchy. Could not get it to work until I unsoldered the hold down clip for the vertical camera cable, separated the connector and plugged it back in. The connector does not snap in very solidly so even that took a couple of tries.

Thank you Castlestone, I realize the vertical camera may have a loose cable or something, I actually took the whole thing apart (as an exercise) did not find any connector issue (visually). I was not brave enough (nor had a soldering tool to do what you did, but I am glad you were able to resolve this. May I recommend if you could post some detailed pictures of the exact location of the issue you found... It may help others.... I personally may just send it back for repair. Thank you again for sharing your information...

Just got off the phone with technician at Parrot and he sent me two emails (content of 1st email see below). Basically they want me to reset and restart everything from scratch (including installation of the App). If that does not work, then it is most likely a hardware issue (most likely due to it crashing to tree branches ) and second email has direction to send back the drone....

Just thought to share this info here

Thank you for contacting Parrot Customer Support.

Please follow the below steps to help you with the issue.
- Delete the Free flight application.
- Go to settings and search for network settings the search bar will be located on the top of settings just type down network settings.
- Choose reset network settings, "Make sure that you are only resetting the network settings nothing else as you don't want to lose all the data on your phone".
- Restart your phone.
- Download the application again.
- Reset the drone by pressing on the On and Off button for 15 seconds and then let go.
- Connect the Drone to your phone Via WiFi.
- Calibrate the Drone.
- After following these steps the issue should be resolved.

Finally,
Please press reply on this email and tell me if the steps mentioned above were helpful !
Just an update for those interested:
I followed the above and tried several times, and it did not work. I now believe there is a hardware issue, most likely a loose cable or bad connection. I have contacted Parrot, they sent me a dozen or more questions and requested flight data and more... all of which was compiled and sent to them... Waiting to hear back from them..... If no reply, I will try to fix it myself...

Hy! Did you fix your vertical camera? Do I need to replace my camera or motherboard?

Last edited:
There are several repair centers that can repair Parrot.You can get parts now. In 2018 and beginning of 2019 was far more difficult. Parrot will give you the names of service centers. The other option is take the Anafi down to its subsystems and sell on Ebay and buy a new one. I am on number 5 since July 2018. 3 had cameras failed and one I crashed. Parrot replace 2.

Just an update for those interested:
I bought one new vertical camera, but problem is the same, doesn’t fly. I have two things in mind:
1. Vertical camera identification error (software error, because the battery dropped out when crashed - solution: firmware reinstall, when parrot release new firmware)
OR
2. Mainboard error

This is the first thread Google returns when searching for "Vertical camera failure" for the Anafi, so I'll just post my findings here.

I had the same problem as everyone else; after updating firmware on the drone, I get a "Vertical camera error" message and the drone no longer responds to commands.

Long story short, at least in my particular case, it seems to be a manufacturing defect with the vertical camera connector to the motherboard, in that it can move to the side and the pins no longer line up. I initially though it was from a recent crash I had with the drone, but looking at the connector with a microscope I see no deformity in either the connector itself or the slot on the motherboard, which is why I suspect this to be a manufacturing defect, where the tolerances are off and the connector can move out of its place.

You can bend the metal bit which is holding the connector in place, to try and lift it up and re-position it. But even if you manage to insert it correctly, it requires very little force to push it out of its correct place. So what I've done is that I've glued it into place, and so far I haven't had any issues with it.

I've given a reference image as to how the connector can move about. From my reference image, the connect can slide leftwards, meaning you have to push it rightwards to move into place. If you look from the bottom very carefully, you can see if the pins are aligned or not.

Considering that this is likely a manufacturing defect and can't be solved through software, if its still under warranty, your best option is to have it replaced.

Hi @colin.dumitru

I have the same problem, vertical camera error after my Anafi dropped from the sky from about 60ft onto the grass.
I did the hard reset and reset the batteries which didn't work.

I took it apart after seeing your post and the one from @smileyjmc but didn't want to bend the metal tab too far as it probably wouldn't bend back as it should, also seems to be soldered on in the middle and glued where the memory card connects to the motherboard.

Anyway, I tried lifting the tab a little and moving the connector but it didn't seem to want to move, tried to wriggle it a bit as well. Put it back together and the same warning, vertical camera error...would you have any tips or advice about reseating it and what glue did you use? Cheers
Terry

UPDATE: a guy told me that there was an invisible micro crack on the motherboard from the impact. I replace the motherboard (with complete body), now good and flying. Good luck for repair!

Reactions: Top Drone
UPDATE: a guy told me that there was an invisible micro crack on the motherboard from the impact. I replace the motherboard (with complete body), now good and flying. Good luck for repair!

I got it sorted the second time, took the motherboard off and removed the vertical camera plug from the motherboard and two bits of plastic that located the plug had broken off...glued one back on a glued plug to the motherboard and its back flying now but still not sure why it fell from the sky in the first place...

How much were the motherboard and body?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh