Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Video editing computer/video card requirements

SkySpy

Reaction score
I have a question for you computer nerds out there. I'm currently running a HP p64004y with a AMD Phenom II 820 Quad-Core 64 bit with windows 7. The original graphics card was a NVIDIA 9100. I upgraded that card, but i'm not sure how to tell what it is now. I'm shooting all my video at 1080, yet some of my footage plays back jerky and erratically. I'm currently using my windows media player to review my videos. Yes......I know this machine is a dinosaur by today's standards, but shouldn't it be powerful enough for 1080 editing? Please advise.

My 2011 Lenovo T520 laptop has:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Type NVS 4200M, NVIDIA compatible
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz

It will do 1080p almost smoothly in Media Player, so your system should be able to do it too. There may be a setting that needs changing.

When I was shopping for a new video card for my home desktop (i5-4590 CPU @ 3.3GHz 8GB Ram, 64bit win 10)
, this web site helped me decide:
Its.. well.. for a few dollars more I can get this one, then for a few more I can get this, and it goes on and on.
I ended up with the RTX-2070, not super expensive, but not cheap either. (Now they have the RTX-2070S Sheez)
This card runs the free DJI simulator mind boggling great. One can see the prop wash blow individual grass blades when hovering near the ground.
Anyway, it plays back 4K videos with most viewers without problems. A few players have issues. Never see any issues in 1080
YouTube 4K playback works really, really well.
When I run 4K raw (DNG) videos though different editors, it processes anywhere from 1x to 2x quicker than the time recorded.

When I use my Laptop: Windows 10/ Intel Core i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz, 12GB Ram, 64-bit Operating System I7 4 core, a 10 minute 4K video can take 90 minutes to process.

I needed to tweek VLC's Input and Codec settings to play back without jerky-ness, see:

Usually a "slow" machine will process video just fine, it will just take forever. The playback is the real issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut