Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Weird light reflections on the ground, when flying back to the Sun...

S.C.C.

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that ? Hard to explain, the dark gray plastic is not reflective, could that be the props acting like a prism ?
Here is a link :

the 2nd and 3rd examples in the video are more obvious.

Last edited:
V1 ? I just bought it last week... in this case send me my money back ! or the new one ;-)

If it's really documented like you said, what's the explanation ? It's like a mirror reflecting the Sun but there is no mirror there. And it doesn't look like a software issue.

Last edited:
solar light behind the caméra. Problem whith anafi V1.

You mean Anafi version v1 vs anafi FPV as version 2?
I have the fpv version and on a sunny day last week, at some point I had the same problem, for about 0.30min. (with ND 16 but incorrect video settings).
As soon as the plane moved elsewhere the phenomenon disappeared.

Last edited:
Yesterday it happened again while flying over 50 meters, uninterrupted for 1-2 minutes. It looks like an optical/refraction phenomenon, maybe the curvature of the air cushion displaced by the props creates some kind of lens... although I have some difficulties with this theory.

Can you check on the Web if it looks like the shadow of the Anafi forming a Brocken Spectre. When projected from above in a ‘wet surface’ like a cloud, or when there is a humidity index in the air above usual, the aura can even be ‘raimbowish’ instead of grey.

.. or either blame it on the last firmware update, or send it back to Parrot with a note stating ‘My drone is Brocken’ ;o)

Last edited:
Charles Baudelaire, a French poet, wrote a text about this phenomenon observed often on the Brocken mountain in Germany (see below) when the light comes from your back.

I am afraid Parrot support will not produce such a beautiful text if questioned on the same subject.

Par un beau dimanche de Pentecôte, montons sur le Brocken. Éblouissante aube sans nuages ! Cependant Avril parfois pousse ses dernières incursions dans la saison renouvelée, et l’arrose de ses capricieuses averses. Atteignons le sommet de la montagne ; une pareille matinée nous promet plus de chances pour voir le fameux Spectre du Brocken. Ce spectre a vécu si longtemps avec les sorciers païens, il a assisté à tant de noires idolâtries, que son cœur a peut-être été corrompu et sa foi ébranlée. Faites d’abord le signe de la croix, en manière d’épreuve, et regardez attentivement s’il consent à le répéter. En effet, il le répète ; mais le réseau des ondées qui s’avance trouble la forme des objets et lui donne l’air d’un homme qui n’accomplit son devoir qu’avec répugnance ou d’une manière évasive. Recommencez donc l’épreuve, « cueillez une de ces anémones qui s’appelaient autrefois fleurs de sorcier, et qui jouaient peut-être leur rôle dans ces rites horribles de la peur. Portez-la sur cette pierre qui imite la forme d’un autel païen ; agenouillez-vous et, levant votre main droite, dites : Notre père, qui êtes aux cieux !… moi, votre serviteur, et ce noir fantôme dont j’ai fait, ce jour de Pentecôte, mon serviteur.

Due to a full respect of the forum rules and for its imperial administrator @Agustine , here is the English translation, but only after the original French poem (I never infringed a forum rule, too dangerous !)

On a beautiful Pentecost Sunday, let's go up on the Brocken mountain. Dazzling cloudless dawn! However, April sometimes pushes its last forays into the renewed season, and sprinkles it with its capricious showers. Let's reach the top of the mountain; such a morning promises us more chances to see the famous Brocken Specter. This specter has lived so long with pagan sorcerers, it has witnessed so many black idolatries, that his heart may have been corrupted and his faith shattered. First make the sign of the cross, as a test, and watch carefully if he agrees to repeat it. Indeed, he repeats it; but the advancing wave network disturbs the shape of objects and makes it look like a man who does his duty only with reluctance or in an evasive manner. Repeat the test, "Pick one of those anemones that used to be called wizard flowers, and that may have played their part in these horrible rites of fear. Carry it on this stone which imitates the shape of a pagan altar; kneel down and, raising your right hand, say: Our father, who are in heaven! ... me, your servant, and this black ghost which I made, this day of Pentecost, my servant

Last edited:
Yes, it is merely a reflection of the sun behind the Anafi. There are just enough reflective surfaces on the ground from dew in this video to get a faint Brocken effect. As you can see in the videos, if you are flying above the clouds with the sun at your back it is much more obvious. If you flew the drone over a non-reflective surface with the same sun angle you would see nothing.

It is interesting that the sunlight is reflected directly at the observer, so that if two pilots flew their planes some distance apart in formation, say 50 meters, Pilot A would see his reflection but not his buddy's and vice versa.

Reactions: Zamzara
Merci pour la poésie ! Thanks for the poetry !

And thanks for the explanations, too. I had some doubts that the phenomenon was a reflection on the ground only (or in the water particles on the ground), because I haven't seen this light when the Anafi is hovering, only whith some speed, but it's more straightforward than my hypothesis of a virtual lens formed by the air displaced by the props.

That said, it's not exactly the same pattern that we can see in these videos...

I get this on the Disco as well. It's a reflection of the sun from water droplets. See around 9 minutes here:
5:05 here:

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that ? Hard to explain, the dark gray plastic is not reflective, could that be the props acting like a prism ?
Here is a link :

the 2nd and 3rd examples in the video are more obvious.
This is a completely natural phenomenon. It is created when the sun is shining and just behind the drone. It doesn't even need moisture, since all surfaces reflect light (albedo), especially the leaves of plants. And the light in the image (reflection) moves because the drone turns.
I have experienced it many times and seen it on many recordings. This has nothing to do with the type of drone, it's a physical phenomenon that you can only see from above.

Regardez à 2:48 la lumière du soleil traverser en caméra ... La caméra du corps change entre les premiers Anafi, Themal et FPV!

Mais oui pour moi c'est vraiment un problème !!!

DSC_0145-1200-copie-copie.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zandoli
This is a completely natural phenomenon. It is created when the sun is shining and just behind the drone. It doesn't even need moisture, since all surfaces reflect light (albedo), especially the leaves of plants. And the light in the image (reflection) moves because the drone turns.
I have experienced it many times and seen it on many recordings. This has nothing to do with the type of drone, it's a physical phenomenon that you can only see from above.
And even more pronounced because of the fact we all live in The Matrix...(play ominous music now)....?

There are two different phenomenons :

- The Brocken specter... a natural phenomenon as discribed above, that makes a grey shadow shadow in the center of the image described by S.C.C on the forum.

- The ‘Flare’ of bright light (resulting in a quick local overexposure In the top right of the image in Wide mode only), due to the light that enters the body of the gimbal as described by Stéphane in his video (Paladrone).
He explains perfectly where the light is able to enter through the plastic adjustments of the ‘shell’ of the gimbal. This problem is only on a few Anafis and should be solved by ‘filling this gap’ with a resin or something behind the ‘eye’ of the camera where the light enters (or an exchange with Parrot).

your remark is excellent... they changed the geometry of the moulded shell so the light cannot pass through the rear of the camera on the new versions of the Anafi FPV and Thermal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zigzag84
And even more pronounced because of the fact we all live in The Matrix...(play ominous music now)....?
I don't understand your mockery. I wrote this answer for the first video to start the discussion. This phenomenon is the reflection of the sun on the soil and vegetation.
What kind of matrix? What kind of music?:oops:

it is a movie about people who live in a computer, it was pretty popular 20 years ago

The premise of us living in The Matrix lies in the hard to explain phenomena which can be best explained in the fact we "live" in a computer generated "reality ".This was meant as a jest.I apologise if this has created undue confusion as this was not my intent.
MustangPhil seems to have nailed the "real world" interpretation of what we see.
P.S.
Neo,Trinity and Morpheus say hi.

Reactions: MustangPhil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafiai