Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

3th axis

Cap_Caos

Reaction score
I have seen that on several occasions the stabilization on the third axis is insufficient, so I opened a ticket to the assistance to request that they implement some improvement.
I'm eager to see if Parrot will consider it. It is in fact one of the various reasons why DJI drone owners say "anafi sucks" ...
In short, this is what I sent to Parrot.

I noticed several times, especially when we stand up parallel to an object, that the compensation of the third axis (the one physically missing but that should be done digitally on the image) is much lower than necessary. The result is that in the shots we see significant lateral oscillations, as if we were moving upwards following an "S" route and not going straight.
I point out the thing not as a specific problem of my anafi, but really general, as I have observed it on different films.
I agree that if there are flight conditions that cause excessive lateral displacements, this may not be possible, but compensation on the third axle would have to be improved as far as possible.
Thank you.

Hmmm... never had an issue and if it’s jello, an ND filter takes care of it. But then again, I understand speed relative to frame rate, gimbal tilt, sun position, and stick movement to minimize problems. You recognize that this is a two axis drone and Parrot has never said otherwise so what do you expect from them? Who cares what DJI does with their drones? It’s not really a comparison or the DJI owners would be asking why they can’t figure out way to get their cameras clear of props in the shot?

It’s an Anafi and it’s different on purpose and you learn to work with it. Today I’m doing indoor work and as a test, I did a full indoor panoramic photo of my studio. I can’t think of another product on the market currently that I would trust for that task and it performed perfectly. Given the lack of new products released at CES this year, I predict the little Anafi will continue to sell as more people see its full camera capability and how it’s a pilots camera. Now that we have a lens profile in PS and LR, the stills I can take are beyond what I could have ever imagined with a drone and a camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it's not a problem of jello. It's a problem that occurs when the drone does not stay perfectly in the same position and you're shooting a subject close enough. Clearly minimal lateral displacements are reflected in a visible way. The 3-axis gimbal drones correct the problem by slightly rotating the camera, and keeping the subject in the foreground motionless. In the case of anafi who has the third axis done in software it should not change much, clearly within the limits of what is possible. I believe that even if I do not really care what others do, suggesting useful improvements is always right.

it's not a problem of jello. It's a problem that occurs when the drone does not stay perfectly in the same position and you're shooting a subject close enough. Clearly minimal lateral displacements are reflected in a visible way. The 3-axis gimbal drones correct the problem by slightly rotating the camera, and keeping the subject in the foreground motionless. In the case of anafi who has the third axis done in software it should not change much, clearly within the limits of what is possible. I believe that even if I do not really care what others do, suggesting useful improvements is always right.

I tend to agree based upon my initial impression when I flew for the first few times.

Clearly minimal lateral displacements are reflected in a visible way.
Lateral shifts aren't compensated by the gimbal on any drone out there, only rotations. They don't compensate shifts by rotating either (would be awful).

Shift stabilization is fully dependent on the vertical and horizontal positioning accuracy of the drone itelf, which for sure isn't the best out there on the anafi but complaining about the gimbal won't help.

So weird because I’m going to post a shot that’s from low along rows of bikes and into the store that’s more then perfect. Nothing but close ups. Of course the start shows deflection because I’m hovering in my own prop wash. Once motion starts, it’s smooth as butter. You want a perfect steady close up then you use a camera on sticks. You want a shot you can’t get to easily with that same rig, you fly your drone. It’s a tool in your kit not the ultimate problem solver. Flying and shooting requires both left and right brain activity during the shot. Ground based lets you do the mechanical first then the creative which is why we will always be used for personal fun or contribute B roll with these consumer (important to remember this point) camera drones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not sure about understanding all you wrote...
I am really happy about my anafi. The movies are very good, resolution is good, movement smooth.
Nothing to complain abount.
About the gimbal correction, if you move to the left and rotate a little to the right, the camera get the same place. Ok, if i hate the little oscillatio, i can just work in postproduction...

Issue is you'd also need to turn the gimbal left but it can't since it's a 2-axis gimbal, the yaw compensation latitude is tiny and only just enough as it is...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood