Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A "Follow Me" question regarding altitude... especially with "Orbit"

gotdurt

Reaction score
In Follow Me Orbit mode (or any of the other Follow Me modes, for that matter), does the Anafi maintain altitude relative to the ground directly below it?

I'd like to use my Anafi to follow me on my mountain bike down some steep hills in the Orbit mode. There are some trees, but mostly ash junipers that max out around 20-25', so I'd set it at 30-40' to stay above the trees... however, I'm concerned that, as I descend, the drone might fly into the trees or even the hill itself as it circles toward it... if it maintains altitude as it orbits (like a tilted orbit), then it should be safe, in theory...

I'm not sure how to test this without risk... your experiences?

In Follow Me Orbit mode (or any of the other Follow Me modes, for that matter), does the Anafi maintain altitude relative to the ground directly below it?

I'd like to use my Anafi to follow me on my mountain bike down some steep hills in the Orbit mode. There are some trees, but mostly ash junipers that max out around 20-25', so I'd set it at 30-40' to stay above the trees... however, I'm concerned that, as I descend, the drone might fly into the trees or even the hill itself as it circles toward it... if it maintains altitude as it orbits (like a tilted orbit), then it should be safe, in theory...

i saw side tracking keep the altitude: Kilmannan Reservoir - Using Anafi's Follow Me Mode with a Mountain Bike

My experience in a similar situation was a (lucky) crash. I set the Anafi to Follow Me, started out from the saddle down an increasingly narrow and steep jeep road on my motorcycle. I positioned the Anafi 50 feet behind me and 30 feet up. After about 300 yds., as the gully narrowed, the Anafi descended to only a few feet above the ground and then hit a bush (with no damage). So it didn't hold either altitude above the surface or above me. I would expect similar results in your scenario.

I would test it while walking so you can monitor the drones altitude and behavior relative to the hillsides and abort if necessary.

My experience in a similar situation was a (lucky) crash. I set the Anafi to Follow Me, started out from the saddle down an increasingly narrow and steep jeep road on my motorcycle. I positioned the Anafi 50 feet behind me and 30 feet up. After about 300 yds., as the gully narrowed, the Anafi descended to only a few feet above the ground and then hit a bush (with no damage). So it didn't hold either altitude above the surface or above me. I would expect similar results in your scenario.

I would test it while walking so you can monitor the drones altitude and behavior relative to the hillsides and abort if necessary.
Interesting. Yeah, I was thinking anout how I could test it safely without obstructions. Maybe if I can find an embankment or something that I can ride along side of and up/down, and watch how it behaves...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking