Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Aanafi Skycontroller 3 antenna reflector

Dronographer

Reaction score
I think all who saw were enthralled by this enterprising Spaniard ? DaVinchi2000 who rigged an antenna reflector for his Anafi controller

So I did the same, not exactly same size as his...

Attachments

• 28E2A605-1BA7-4195-9CAB-C831A4E45F02.jpeg
    28E2A605-1BA7-4195-9CAB-C831A4E45F02.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
So far I am getting 20% more range in 5ghz manual band. And the video stays longer too. I seem to be able to go some distance further with and without after hitting the “Black Screen” of no video.

This is in a city development, personal wifi at the house disconnected, flting over the backyard hedge, over trees and across a valley of forest.
So interference and obstructions. IF the video returns on RTH, ( sometimes does, sometimes not, used to before a firmware upgrade a couple back) then I seem to regain videofeed much sooner.

Keep in mind this is over three flights only but is consistent.

Am going to go try in a rural hilltop now to test further before mounting my panel antenna.

Attachments

• FAC17943-771F-4A4F-8533-1B123450987D.jpeg
    FAC17943-771F-4A4F-8533-1B123450987D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
That's where my tin-foil hat went! ;)

I haven't checked this out & am about to leave for the morning, but does it help when attempting to fly behind & over structures that mean you losing line of sight with your Anafi? Or is that only recommended by means of a Flight Plan? I haven't tried it, but am curious. I always maintain a line of sight with my Anafi.

Of course I never lose sight of my Anafi unless I am in communication with forward observers. To do so would be illegal per FAA regs.

It needs a backing plate, should be smaller to catch wind less. Might be worthwhile for better video reception and modest range boost. And I do not know if the angle of the sidewalls ar critical as is the size.

Last edited:
Of course I never lose sight of my Anafi unless I am in communication with forward observers. To do so would be illegal per FAA regs.

It needs a backing plate, should be smaller to catch wind less. Might be worthwhile for better video reception and modest range boost.
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm slight confused about the "of course" is that referring to maintaining line of sight or to assisting with flying over & beyond obstacles? :unsure:

Both.

I am wondering if a PVC pipe Schedule Whatever cut lengthwise down the middle might work at least as well if not better, lined with refelctive tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
It needs a backing plate, should be smaller to catch wind less. Might be worthwhile for better video reception and modest range boost. And I do not know if the angle of the sidewalls ar critical as is the size.

Ideally the reflector should be parabolic with the Skycontroller antenna being close to the focal point. This idea has been around for a long time. In the Australian outback microwave radio is used to transmit communications over large distances via the use of parabolic dishes:

Of course this setup also acts as a collector, so in a noisy urban environment this may also increase interference. Based on your results though, I would say you will see significant range improvement in a rural area.

Reactions: SMOk3
Well the current version seems to increase range 20% on average in a high wifi area. I figured a parabolic would be best but how to easily obtain that? I have heated PVC in the oven and with hot air guns to form shapes. Am wondering how close one could come by so ewhat flatenning Schrcul 40 pipe before cutting lengthwise to chabge the round profile

I do not think a cardboard box with reflective tape applied and mounted between your antenna housing and phone as photos show above, would alter one’s warranty, and might give you easily 20% more video range.

I do not think a cardboard box with reflective tape applied and mounted between your antenna housing and phone as photos show above, would alter one’s warranty, and might give you easily 20% more video range.
I'll give it a try & see if it helps with the loss of both video signal & connection to the drone at around the 400 metre mark for me. In Australia it's only using the 2.4 GHz frequency though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame