Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Altitude limitation

thanks Bobthinks.
This is an excellent suggestion, although ridges are rare here in MIAMI. I can get some decent shots next time I'm out west. My pano shots are printed on 3 metal panels.View attachment 349
Now here is where I offer caution to undermine my whole post...

I've never gone more that 80 feet below launch level. And I'm an application developer so I get twitchy every time.

byZero.jpg

People have to start realizing this thing is basically a glorified selfie drone. There is no need to go over 400 feet with this thing. If you need to go higher you are looking at the wrong UAV. Something that weighs just over 300 grams will not do well in strong winds up 400 feet anyways.

How much something weighs has nothing to do with it's ability to fly in or resist wind...it's all about how much thrust the motors can produce, compared to the force of the wind acting on the frame...which with a small frame, ain't much.

As far as flying higher than 400 feet...someone flying up along rising terrain may need that capability.

Reactions: AnafiPilot
How much something weighs has nothing to do with it's ability to fly in or resist wind...it's all about how much thrust the motors can produce, compared to the force of the wind acting on the frame...which with a small frame, ain't much.

As far as flying higher than 400 feet...someone flying up along rising terrain may need that capability.

OK
I have flown mine in high winds and trust me it does not do very well at all. If you want to fly yours in high winds go right ahead. As for flying higher then what the manufacture has set out and you want to go higher then you have bought the wrong UAV. Get one that suits your needs.

Here is what happens when you try and fly in high winds. I don't recommend it.

I agree, flying in more wind than the drone is designed for is a bad idea. My whole point was that it's weight, as you had mentioned in a previous post, as being the reason it won't do well in "high winds"...has nothing to do with how much wind it can fly in...that's all.

I agree, flying in more wind than the drone is designed for is a bad idea. My whole point was that it's weight, as you had mentioned in a previous post, as being the reason it won't do well in "high winds"...has nothing to do with how much wind it can fly in...that's all.
I sill disagree. The Anafi,s design to make it lite weight makes it also easy to be affected by wind. I believe it has gone past that happy spot you talk about with motor size and weight. It can also be said about larger quad designs. Just by the way they were shaped made them more susceptible to wind. The yuneec q500 is a good example. It had what we called a yaw snap from the wind. The Anafi does for the most part a pretty good job in the wind but when it gets into a high wind it gets pretty scary to try and fly it. The day it happened to me I really thought I had lost the Anafi and it would have been pilot error on my part.

Here is some bad wind with a very much larger quad that should have been able to handle the wind but just by design fell victim of the winds power. :) My Quad that is in between the Anafi and the Q500 has never had this problem. Just a better frame design to prop ratio I would think.

The laws of physics say that an object's weight has nothing to do with its ability to deal with wind.

It has ALL to do with how much wind it "catches" (how much surfaces area it has and how that surface area is shaped), in relation to how much thrust/power it has to overcome that force.

Has nothing to do with it's weight.

That's all I'm saying.

[QUOTE="Agustine, post: 4863, member: 8"]I sill disagree. The Anafi,s design to make it lite weight makes it also easy to be affected by wind. I believe it has gone past that happy spot you talk about with motor size and weight. It can also be said about larger quad designs. Just by the way they were shaped made them more susceptible to wind. The yuneec q500 is a good example. It had what we called a yaw snap from the wind. The Anafi does for the most part a pretty good job in the wind but when it gets into a high wind it gets pretty scary to try and fly it. The day it happened to me I really thought I had lost the Anafi and it would have been pilot error on my part. Here is some bad wind with a very much larger quad that should have been able to handle the wind but just by design fell victim of the winds power. :) My Quad that is in between the Anafi and the Q500 has never had this problem. Just a better frame design to prop ratio I would think. [MEDIA=youtube]ti3t9s96B5Q[/MEDIA][/QUOTE]

Sorry but I don't buy that with consumer UAV's
I have over 4.5 years experience flying these things and anything that has no real weight to it like the Anafi is subject to winds more then a normal size UAV.

Have you ever flown a UAV the size of the Anafi without GPS? It is almost impossible to hold in winds. I believe the only reason the Anafi does well in winds is because of the added GPS. If you turned that off in strong winds it would be gone down the road on vacation :)

I know of three different ways to fly above the 150 meters limit, one of which is posted on this forum. We have a search option at the top of the page. People using these so called mods should know their countries laws and use common sense when flying above the limits.

I'm back in MIAMI for the season and I'm not following. Let me review. If I buy the "in app flight plan", I can go as high as I need? This will be worth the small fee, most of my Montana lake pano's are with the SOLO at 600ft with a 3.97mm lens. I could not get the same prospective at Anafi's 493'.

Am I correct on this in app altitude limitation fix? Thanks in advance for all input.
Were you able to get above 150m?

I can change the altitude in flight plan with the latest version. I can go over 500 meter

I can change the altitude in flight plan with the latest version. I can go over 500 meter
Thanks - I will give it a try.

Just wondering - can you use Flight Plan to get to a specific altitude THEN switch to Manual Flight while in the air?

Just wanted to report in from my testing. Picked a nice open spot without flight restrictions and setup a short flight plan with <6 waypoints. The max altitude I set was 600'. While executing the plan, Anafi went to 600' and complained all the way between 498' and 600' [exceeded geofence].

After the flight was complete, I ran it again but this time, once at 600', I took manual control. When I did that, I lost FPV. I knew where the Anafi was - hovering right where I left it. I disconnected my iPhone from the controller and plugged it in again. FPV restored. I was able to control the camera, take pictures, etc. Flew manual back to the landing site.

Thanks everyone for their help in sorting this out.

Hopefully Parrot will take care of two things in the next release [I'm running V6.3.1 of Free Flight 6 which was just released]. 1) When GeoFence is OFF, it's OFF. 2) Don't cripple Flight Plan's altitude range.

Any update on this Agustine? We have property out in west texas with a hill on our property that is 700 feet. I hope to be able to fly on our property out there and the elevation change from bottom to top is more than the 500 feet limit. Does this mean I can't fly an Anafi stock there or just mean I have to start at the hill top? Also, from my old rc plane days I will say we flew 1000 feet more more routinely. Is exceeding the 400ft limit ok with drones provided it is in uncontrolled air space which my west texas property certainly is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Batman