Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Altitude restrictions are killing me!

Thor

Reaction score
I love my anafi but the 150m altitude restriction is making things very challenging for me. I shoot a lot of professional extreme skiers and am often deep in the wilderness when filming. The Anafi is awesome because of its weight, unique angles and flight time but a lot of the mountains I shoot are usually 500 to 1000 meters high. I always fly within 100-200 feet of the ground so I never violate the 400ft above ground limit.

There's gotta be a workaround somewhere for this!?!

I read the flight plan modification thread but the problem is I'm never sure where I'm going to be filming and I rarely have cell phone service where I am. I also realize I can hike to the top of the mountain and fly down it (which is what I have been doing) but filming on top of a cold and windy peak is not the most fun place to be(frostbite on both thumbs!).

The anafi is great little drone and I would love to keep using it for my adventures but if I can't find a way to get around this restriction, I'll be forced to go back to dji :(

If you know a way but don't want to say it here, pm me and I promise I won't tell everybody;)

Last edited:
I have read people use the App Pix4Dcapture to fly the Anafi up past the limits. Not sure how this all works and if you can switch between Apps once it is at the Alt. you want. Wish I can remember where I was reading about this. Might be worth looking into and doing a few experiments.

Reactions: Rizzo08
Thor: "I always fly within 100-200 feet of the ground so I never violate the 400ft above ground limit."
If you do so, what do you mean with "restriction"?
Just for me to understand: Do you fly Anafi from 1000m ASL down to 500m at an AGL of 100-200 feet? Correct?

Thor: "I always fly within 100-200 feet of the ground so I never violate the 400ft above ground limit."
If you do so, what do you mean with "restriction"?
Just for me to understand: Do you fly Anafi from 1000m ASL down to 500m at an AGL of 100-200 feet? Correct?
I am flying up the side of the mountain, so even though I might be well above my takeoff point, I am still very close to the ground. Does that make sense?

Reactions: AnafiPilot
I have the same issues of getting shots in the mountains. I’ve heard it’s possible to use Flight Plan to get around it, but have not tried it yet.

I did a test flying from a top of a hill. The wind was strong and cold, I had to return shortly but it looks good.

Attachments

• P0640091.jpg
    P0640091.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 55
As long as you know where you will be flying on that day to capture the skiers it is possible to set up a multiple Flight Plan up the mountain using the editing trick located HERE. You could pause the flight plan at any point and then resume it to go higher to on the next way point. In theory this should work but I would do serveral test runs just to see if there are any problems that need working out.

As long as you know where you will be flying on that day to capture the skiers it is possible to set up a multiple Flight Plan up the mountain using the editing trick located HERE. You could pause the flight plan at any point and then resume it to go higher to on the next way point. In theory this should work but I would do serveral test runs just to see if there are any problems that need working out.
From my experience you can only fly LOWER (outside of the flight plan) once past the 150m hard limit. Also getting FF6 to write to the external FLIGHTPLAN folder only seems to work when installing FF6 on a rooted device. Like others here I would really like to have this restriction removed - as I would love to fly up close along the cliffs of our escarpment - which is well within legal flying requirements.

Last edited:
I have tried it with my LG6 phone which is not rooted and it worked perfectly. You are correct you cannot go higher then what you have edited this is why you need several edited waypoints going up the mountain for this to work.

...or hopefully the people at Auriga will get the Anafi SDK and create software for us without these restrictions.Still can't figure out why Parrot doesn't employ the use of airport proximity restrictions,yet I am limited as to what height I can fly above my takeoff point when in the mountains .

Reactions: Thor
Not sure if this will help but try following the skiers in Follow mode. I found there is not an altitude restriction in Follow mode and Anafi is very responsive to stick commands overriding the flight path.

Not sure if this will help but try following the skiers in Follow mode. I found there is not an altitude restriction in Follow mode and Anafi is very responsive to stick commands overriding the flight path.
That is provided the subject has hold of the controller...?

You don't need the controller but the subject needs to have the GPS device. This is not ideal for of board follow like active track; however, Parrot uses both GPS and optical recogniotion for follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGabor
We tried with my daughter, she wear a black coat and a purple scarf. Only the optical recognition was enough (no need gps) for the following, it was a good game. Until she turned back, the Anafi lost the purple scarf, Anafi stopped and just hoovering. When the gps device and the optical "target" was the same, Anafi could turn, follow the good direction always, and the Anafi made a fast, full U-turn also when it went further above our heads.

With the old software Anafi would stop hover while targeting the subject optically like cameraman, I have not tried it with the new firmware.

What we need is a little carrot on a stick that will attach to the gimble.

Pan camera up and Anafi will try and follow the carrot up.

Anybody know where we can source an NDcarrot filter?

What we need is a little carrot on a stick that will attach to the gimble.

Pan camera up and Anafi will try and follow the carrot up.

Anybody know where we can source an NDcarrot filter?

Actually that should be quiet easy -> just draw a small object on a normal filter than use follow mode to mark that fixed object on the lens. Then just exit follow mode once Anafi is far enough ^^

I have the same issue. I have successfully flown over the limit using FF6's FlightPlan feature. You don't need to setup a complete flight plan, simply create one with a single waypoint. set the altitude and start flying the plan. Once you reach your target altitude, simply fly as you would. Keep in mind that if you go below the 150m altitude, you will not be able to go back higher without flying the plan again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut