Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi and Freewell ND Filters

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Just got my Freewell filters in. The DHL truck pulled up and I said bonus as they were not suppose to be till Thursday. :)
Did a start up test and yes the Anafi started perfectly and calibrated the camera on start up. Happy camper :)

20180814_152146.jpg

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
64 NDPL
Test flight looking directly at the sun. Plane going by.
Nothing special just checking the new filters out.

Last edited:
64 NDPL
Test flight looking directly at the sun. Plane going by.
Nothing special just checking the new filters out.

Were you shooting auto or manual with the camera? Noticed some harsh vignetting but then would go away when you moved the camera away from the sun.

The first time I tried one of the Freewell filters the Anafi failed the gimbal test! The good news is that was the only time it failed. Turns out I had not pushed the filter all the way in on one side. For the last week I’ve been flying the Anafi a lot and it hasn’t failed the test since.

Despite my intitial concerns, the filters also stay on in severe conditions. High winds. Rain. Bumping around in the back of a truck. They do leave a little black residue around the outer edge of the camera frame (not on the lens of course). I don’t clean that. I’ve been letting it build up a bit based on the theory that it will make each successive filter fit more and more snuggly.

The first time I tried one of the Freewell filters the Anafi failed the gimbal test! The good news is that was the only time it failed. Turns out I had not pushed the filter all the way in on one side. For the last week I’ve been flying the Anafi a lot and it hasn’t failed the test since.

Despite my intitial concerns, the filters also stay on in severe conditions. High winds. Rain. Bumping around in the back of a truck. They do leave a little black residue around the outer edge of the camera frame (not on the lens of course). I don’t clean that. I’ve been letting it build up a bit based on the theory that it will make each successive filter fit more and more snuggly.

I got mine yesterday and am going to give them a go here soon.

The 6 pack I don't see it listed anymore on Freewells site so I am wondering if the discontinued it. I know when I ordered it the very next day it was gone from the Freewell site and my order was labeled back ordered. Took about a week longer for me to get them then normal. B&H does not have them in stock so I wonder if they will even get them.

Thanks. Thought they'd be some kind of low end version...

Cheers.

My filters came in today. Here's some the box exterior and pics of the contents...

Contents:
ND4
ND8
ND16
CPL
ND8/PL
ND16PL
ND32PL
ND64PL
Microfiber Cloth

Attachments

• IMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5475.JPG
    IMG_5475.JPG
    694.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 6
My filters came in today. Here's some the box exterior and pics of the contents...

Contents:
ND4
ND8
ND16
CPL
ND8/PL
ND16PL
ND32PL
ND64PL
Microfiber Cloth

That Freewell storage case is a pain. A pain to open. A pain to get filters out. If you come up with an alternate storage solution for your filters, let us know.

I would like to get a polarizer. Do the ND filters offer much advantage on the Anafi where the props are out of frame?

I would like to get a polarizer. Do the ND filters offer much advantage on the Anafi where the props are out of frame?
Yes.

Use the ND filters to allow you slow down shutter speed without blowing out your image. Slow shutter speed results in motion blur, which looks smoother and feels more “cinematic.” The props don’t factor in.

Ya I was going to say the props have never been a issue with the Anafi.
The hard opening case I have to agree with you. What I ended up doing was taking a x-acto knife and trimming one of the two plastic latches that come together when you close the lid. It still has enough there to hold it closed and much easier to open. I also carry a couple of toothpicks in the case. Makes getting the filters in and out much easier. :)

Reactions: dmbrody
Ya I was going to say the props have never been a issue with the Anafi.
The hard opening case I have to agree with you. What I ended up doing was taking a x-acto knife and trimming one of the two plastic latches that come together when you close the lid. It still has enough there to hold it closed and much easier to open. I also carry a couple of toothpicks in the case. Makes getting the filters in and out much easier. :)
Toothpicks. That’s the kind of simple solution I was looking for. Perfect. (Still gonna keep an eye for a better case, but toothpicks will solve the most pressing issue with that darn case)

Reactions: VonZipper
I went for a variation on the same theme. I didn't like the round toothpick rolling around the case so I elected to use a small coffee stirring stick. I cut it lengthwise to fit in the case and it's secured firmly by lid tension when closed.

The case is a pain to open. I'm thinking I might file the locking tab down a hair so it doesn't require so much force to open. I also had seen a fabric-type case that looked nice. I think it might have been a velcro closure. I just have to remember where I saw it...

Attachments

• IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5497.JPG
    IMG_5497.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Contacted Freewell, they said the cheaper version is not coated while the higher priced one is.

BTW, how do you guys decide usually which ND filter to put on before taking off?

Cheers.

I did end up filing down the molded plastic locking tabs a bit to reduce the force required to open the Freewell filter case.

I used a small file on both the tab on the inside of the case as well as the one on the outside. It works perfectly now and I satisfied with this easy fix.

One question:
Is there also a Freewell UV filter for Anafi?
In the sets (essential and normal) I don't find an UV filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame