Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi controller (poor phone grip)

catkinson80

Reaction score
I have just purchased my anafi today and took it for a quick test flight earlier. I am highly impressed with the anafi but one thing I'm having a problem with it getting the controller to grip my phone well enough so that I'm not panicking it's going to jump out and drop to the floor.
Is this a problem others have faced? as I can't find any mention of this on when searching on Google.

It is a common problem with most phones. I use a cheap phone case that I cut a slot out for it to sit more sucurely on the holder. Others have glued something that grabs the phone better. There are also printed 3D options some of the members have designed. Hopefully others will chime in and help.
You don't want it to pop out and hit the control sticks. That would be the worst case and cause a crash.

Thanks for replying, it's quite a ridiculous design flaw, I've just come from a hubsan zino pro and the quality of they're controller was terrible (cheap plastic) but the design of the phone holder was significantly better.
I'm scratching my head now trying to figure out a temporary solution that can easily be fitted removed.

This works very well. I have one for my tablet. There are different sizes. If you don't use the kicker part and just the top mounts the Antenna closes with it on. He is very good at shipping also.

This is solution that I have designed

Reactions: DroningSermon
I designed for my own use but have made the files available free of charge for anybody with, or access to, a 3D printer to print.

This usually happens with plastic Android phones and/or people who use cases on their phones.

With iPhone SE (so 5,5S) iPhone 6S (so also 6, 7, 8), iPhone 7 Plus (so 6 plus, 6S plus 8 plus as well) and iPhone 11 (XR also) the sky controller works perfect and the controller always had a secure grip on the phone.

I didn’t test X, XS or 11Pro (Max) but I assume they are the same as all other iPhones for the past 8 years: flawless fit inside the controller.

edit: with a slippery case the results might be different. The sky controller 3 is designed to fit the plus phones without a case. With a case it could be too much. Not to mention it makes every phone more slippery

I've tried it with my oppo reno, my partner's Samsung galaxy A70 and an old OnePlus one - case on and case off on all of them, two made of glass and one is metal/some sort of rough finish.
I've used all of these phones with previous quads I have owned including - bebop 1, DJI spark, 3dr solo, Upair one plus, hubsan zino pro and several others and never had a problem with my phone been held in place.
Based on your evidence parrot should market they're sky controller 3/anafi as only been compatible with iPhones.
All phones have a generic rectangular shape so it's not rocket science to design a phone holding mechanism which is suitable for all.
If you think that it's only people with plastic android phones which have this problem you should watch this video as it cost him $400 to replace his iPhone screen when it popped out of the skycontroller 3 phone mount and smashed on the floor.

The flaws in the design I can see include

. The rubber grip pad is too hard so doesn't seem to create a great deal of friction - softer rubber pad may help.

. The area which actually comes in contact with your phone is very small, could do with 2-3 contact points top&bottom, obviously controller design doesn't allow that.

. The arm is angled leaving a gap between the back of the phone and the arm - could do with been flush.

. The arm when extended has movement allowing the phone to move closer to the edge of the grip pad and closer to slipping off.

If you think that it's only people with plastic android phones which have this problem you should watch this video as it cost him $400 to replace his iPhone screen when it popped out of the skycontroller 3 phone mount and smashed on the floor.

Let me guess; this doesn't happen in the video nor is it mentioned anywhere?

I just tested it with the 7Plus (which is the widest iPhone ever created btw), and it fits securely; the rubber pads are angled so that they push the phone 'down'. Not having a gap would not mean anything; it is designed to have 2 contact points only. (actually 4; the rubber pads and the 80 degree angle connecting plastic).

As for your Reno or A70; they are all plastic on the outside, only fake spray painted metal like finishes on the outside:

This is a very strange argument, I really don't see how the material of the phone has anything to do with a parrot phone grip, it should grip all phones otherwise it should state it doesn't.
Does a generic car phone holder discriminate as to what material your phone is made out of or what manufacturer you bought it from? I drove 400 miles yesterday with my oppo Reno in my car phone holder and guess what it never fell out once.
It seems to me you are turning this into some juvenile iPhone vs android contest which tells me you may need to do a bit of growing up.
You have provided me with absolutely no help whatsoever, you knew I had an android phone and proceeded to tell me how well your collection of iPhones fitted well done.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I use a soft silicon case, the grip is really much better. The 90° UBS cable also prevents damages to the board. The most compact set up I suppose...

Now I need to find a trick to add a lanyard. You can securely lay this combo on the ground, but the lanyard may be more confortable (not sure yet).

20200229_095357.jpg

Reactions: Deleted member 3201
This is a very strange argument, I really don't see how the material of the phone has anything to do with a parrot phone grip, it should grip all phones otherwise it should state it doesn't.
Does a generic car phone holder discriminate as to what material your phone is made out of or what manufacturer you bought it from? I drove 400 miles yesterday with my oppo Reno in my car phone holder and guess what it never fell out once.
It seems to me you are turning this into some juvenile iPhone vs android contest which tells me you may need to do a bit of growing up.
You have provided me with absolutely no help whatsoever, you knew I had an android phone and proceeded to tell me how well your collection of iPhones fitted well done.

I merely mentioned
This usually happens with plastic Android phones and/or people who use cases on their phones.
I gave examples of several phones without a case which do have a good and stable fit.

You then reply that all your plastic Android phones don't stably fit the sky controller 3; which is exactly what I mentioned earlier.

It's possibly that a fake metallic finish like on the phones you mentioned is more slippery compared to actual anodised aluminum or polished stainless steel.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 uses actual (anodised) aluminum so my guess is that this phone will fit the Skycontroller3 great as well. The later premium Galaxy models will not fit so well as they have plastic on the outside.

you knew I had an android phone and proceeded to tell me how well your collection of iPhones fitted well done
that is an lie, look at your post history, you never mentioned that anywhere. Another lie is your video with the supposed iPhone falling out of it and it needing to be replaced for $400.

I use a soft silicon case, the grip is really much better. The 90° UBS cable also prevents damages to the board. The most compact set up I suppose...

Now I need to find a trick to add a lanyard. You can securely lay this combo on the ground, but the lanyard may be more confortable (not sure yet).

View attachment 3574

Are the edges of the case rounded? That could explain the beter grip. I believe material has to do with it as well, but if you cannot push/slide it from left to right then I guess your silicon case is secure enough!

Are the edges of the case rounded? That could explain the beter grip. I believe material has to do with it as well, but if you cannot push/slide it from left to right then I guess your silicon case is secure enough!

Actually if you did read his posts he did mention several Android devices he has tried. With case on and case off. Look over post #10.
Again you have ruffled some feathers. I have warned you before about your comments.
Please try to get along with others in the forum.

Actually if you did read his posts he did mention several Android devices he has tried. With case on and case off. Look over post #10.
Again you have ruffled some feathers. I have warned you before about your comments.
Please try to get along with others in the forum.

post #10 was made after post #9, which is my post.

it IS a design flaw if the SC3 only works well with iPhones or premium phones. The Anafi is really affordable and has an Android app so of course it is going to attract the Android crowd. They have to test it better or design the controller so that all materials and phones fit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian