Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi RTH

It feels like the Anafi User Manual (v2.4) could use a dedicated section that comprehensively defines the behavior of RTH under all conditions. In the current User's Guide the RTH behavior is kind of "sprinkled" throughout the manual and it's incomplete making it difficult to understand the exact behavior of RTH...which is a CRITICAL part of any GPS drone's functionality.

Here is the RTH behavior that I would like to see Parrot address in a dedicated/focused RTH section in the manual:

1) A comprehensive description of the conditions that might cause the Anafi to initiate RTH?
(e.g., pilot initiated, loss of signal (RC battery runs low/out? ?Phone shuts down?), low drone battery, etc). And I'd like to know a bit more about the "Smart RTH" algorithm for determining when to initiate RTH on low battery..e.g., does it have sufficient "buffer" in the calculation to account for things like a head wind, can I over ride the "Smart RTH" by specifying that I want RTH to be initiated at X% battery remaining instead of relying on the algorithm?)

2) Describe the expected behavior of the Anafi when RTH is in progress? This needs to explicitly note any exception to the "normal" behavior" (e.g., Anafi distance from home point >20m, <20m, when in "Follow me mode", etc); This should also describe any indicators and messages that the pilot should see to confirm that the Anafi is in RTH mode.

3) Describe ways that the pilot can exit/interrupt RTH? (e.g., move the sticks during RTH?, hit RTH button on controller, hit "STOP" on App?, cancel on Smart RTH notification countdown?).

Again some (but not all) of the aforementioned information can be found in the current User's Guide v2.4 but because some of the RTH information is incomplete and sprinkled throughout the User's Guide it can be difficult to get your arms around the RTH behavior without reading the entire User's Guide (and knitting that info together yourself). I have no issues with the User's Guide repeating pertinent RTH behavior in various sections where it is necessary to emphasize or reiterate RTH information but I DO want a single section of the User Guide that will give me a comprehensive understanding of the RTH behavior (even if it is in a appendix section).

Caveat: I have not thoroughly tested the RTH behavior YET. But I do intend to once I get my arms around the expected behavior. My current knowledge of how RTH works is based on reading this thread (from beginning to end) AND reading the current User's Guide (v2.4) from front to back. I realize that the RTH functionality has evolved and been enhanced over time so some of the info in the earlier parts of this thread no longer hold true (e.g., inability to configure RTH height). But with that said I'm assuming that some of the details of the RTH operation simply aren't captured in sufficient detail in User's Guide (v2.4). For example, behavior when the drone is <20m or >20m from the last known home point, or what happens when you are in "follow me" mode and you lose signal (vs low battery scenario that is described)...presumably when in "follow me" mode and with signal loss the Anafiit would return to the last known home point rather than returning to the current pilot location? The manual misses the opportunity to explicitly state what happens in that exact scenario (pg 12).

Questions:
1) Is there any audible notification when you are in RTH mode (i.e., beeping). I know the Use's Guide says that the RC LED status indicator will "alternate flashing red and any other color" when you are in RTH mode. Personally I'd like to get a reassuring beep to confirm I'm in RTH mode...screen indicators or messages are nice but what if your phone dies while flying. If you don't like the beeping you could always make the beep configurable in the settings.

2) Does the app have any indicator or message to tell you that you are in RTH mode? I know there is a "Smart RTH" count down message displayed before "Smart RTH" is initiated but what about when you are already in RTH mode or when you've initiated RTH by pressing the RTH RC button? I think the User's Guide should explicitly spell out and provide a screen shot of any such RTH messages and/or app RTH indicators

3) Is there any way to reset your home point in the app without landing the Anafi?

I'd like to hear others opinions on my proprosal to add a comprehensive dedicated RTH section to the User's Guide? Is the Users Manual missing info you'd like to see added re: RTH? Or other topics?
And of course if anyone has any answers to my questions noted above that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
.....2) Does the app have any indicator or message to tell you that you are in RTH mode? ....
I can at least answer that one. Once RTH is initiated, there is a green message at the bottom of the app that says something like "RTH in progress". I have not had an automatic RTH yet so I can't say for sure that it would also display that message, but I suspect it will.

3) Is there any way to reset your home point in the app without landing the Anafi?

No. The home point is set at Launch. Don't wander too far from the take-off location.?

Return to home is a nice feature to be sure - BUT I wouldn't rely on it to get you out of trouble entirely. As you mentioned, there are many factors that can influence the success of an automated return to home - changing wind conditions, battery health, obstacles, etc. You should always plan your flight to make sure an auto RTH is NOT required. Having said this, I often finish a flight with a manual RTH with no problems.

edit: Just found this in the Parrot Blog - might answer some of your questions.

Last edited:
I can at least answer that one. Once RTH is initiated, there is a green message at the bottom of the app that says something like "RTH in progress". I have not had an automatic RTH yet so I can't say for sure that it would also display that message, but I suspect it will.
Thanks Rocky! Good to know. I'm assuming that message stays there the whole time it's in RTH mode. I'm surprised that the User's Guide doesn't state this. So I assume there is not audible alarm (beeping) to indicate your in RTH ala DJI products?

Cheers.
Jet

No. The home point is set at Launch. Don't wander too far from the take-off location.?

Return to home is a nice feature to be sure - BUT I wouldn't rely on it to get you out of trouble entirely. As you mentioned, there are many factors that can influence the success of an automated return to home - changing wind conditions, battery health, obstacles, etc. You should always plan your flight to make sure an auto RTH is NOT required. Having said this, I often finish a flight with a manual RTH with no problems.

edit: Just found this in the Parrot Blog - might answer some of your questions.
Thanks Aaron B for the reply. Re: the home point I think that's unfortunate. Imagine you launch from a moving boat and you're in "follow me" mode...if the Anafi goes into Smart RTH because of it's low battery algorithm the Anafi would high tail it back to an old home point that is now over water. I understand that Smart RTH gives you a countdown before it goes into RTH mode and you could always cancel RTH mode but I still feel like you should be able reset the home point without having to land the Anafi. I'm fairly certain that DJI allows you to reset the home point without having to land it.

I typically don't use RTH but nevertheless it is an important feature to have in case you do need it and it's important to understand EXACTLY how it works when you might need to use it...hence my questions. I'll check out the reference you provided in the Parrot Blog.

Cheers

Thanks Aaron B for the reply. Re: the home point I think that's unfortunate. Imagine you launch from a moving boat and you're in "follow me" mode...if the Anafi goes into Smart RTH because of it's low battery algorithm the Anafi would high tail it back to an old home point that is now over water. I understand that Smart RTH gives you a countdown before it goes into RTH mode and you could always cancel RTH mode but I still feel like you should be able reset the home point without having to land the Anafi. I'm fairly certain that DJI allows you to reset the home point without having to land it.

I typically don't use RTH but nevertheless it is an important feature to have in case you do need it and it's important to understand EXACTLY how it works when you might need to use it...hence my questions. I'll check out the reference you provided in the Parrot Blog.

Cheers

How the Smart RTH feature works
"If you’re using the Follow Me mode, the drone will automatically return to the pilot’s current GPS location."

Reactions: Jet
How the Smart RTH feature works
"If you’re using the Follow Me mode, the drone will automatically return to the pilot’s current GPS location."
zandoli, thanks for the reference. I'll take a look at it...the User's Guide explicitly states what happens when the user initiates the RTH when in Follow Mode.. but it is silent wrt what happens when the Smart RTH is initiated by the system. That said all other references to the initiation of Smart RTH state that the Anafi will return to it's home point....and since "Follow Me" doesn't reset the home point one would logically conclude that once Smart RTH is initiated it would return to the home point not the GPS location of the pilot. Now that may not be the case but that is what one would logically conclude based on what is and isn't stated in the User's guide.

Just curious have you confirmed what is the stated in the article you referenced?

Cheers.

I have not confirmed, but I would trust what is in there.
It's the official Parrot blog.

Lol
All this talk of what it will do,won't do,might do,etc. reminds me of what an old guy years ago once told me while flying gas birds.
"Never spend more than you are willing to lose at any given time.Woulda,could,should don't bring yer bird back"
I learned a lot from that old guy...

Lol
All this talk of what it will do,won't do,might do,etc. reminds me of what an old guy years ago once told me while flying gas birds.
"Never spend more than you are willing to lose at any given time.Woulda,could,should don't bring yer bird back"
I learned a lot from that old guy...
The way I look at it knowing how the Anafi actually performs in RTH mode will lessen your chance of losing your drone. :)

Thanks Rocky! Good to know. I'm assuming that message stays there the whole time it's in RTH mode. I'm surprised that the User's Guide doesn't state this. So I assume there is not audible alarm (beeping) to indicate your in RTH ala DJI products?

Cheers.
Jet
Yes, the green bar at the bottom stays lit until the RTH is canceled or finished. On the right hand of it is another way to cancel RTH in addition to the red button at the middle top. There is no audio alarm except when auto RTH is initiated...I think....I haven't let it go that far yet. It also may be just a buzz from the phone you can feel in the controller.

@Jet

Let's face it, if auto RTH is activated then things aren't going well. I think you can simplify the auto RTH issue like this:

The Anafi will end up at the home position shown on your device OR somewhere between home and the last known position (also shown on your device).
For follow me mode it may also be somewhere between your location and the last known position.

This is assuming the Anafi was able to follow the intended path and had not thrown a prop, failed compass, GPS, accelerometer etc.

@Jet

Let's face it, if auto RTH is activated then things aren't going well. I think you can simplify the auto RTH issue like this:

The Anafi will end up at the home position shown on your device OR somewhere between home and the last known position (also shown on your device).
For follow me mode it may also be somewhere between your location and the last known position.

This is assuming the Anafi was able to follow the intended path and had not thrown a prop, failed compass, GPS, accelerometer etc.

Aaron,
First, I don't agree with your assertion that "things aren't going well" if auto RTH is activated. There are various reasons why RTH might be triggered but that doesn't mean things aren't going well.

Second, I don't find your over generalization of the RTH behavior (e.g., "somewhere between home and the last known position") to be very helpful for this conversation. After all I'm trying to understand the specifics of the RTH behavior. Sometimes generalizations just don't cut it when there are specific conditions that trigger very different behavior (e.g., Auto-RTH when > 20 meters away from the home point vs Auto-RTH when < 20 meters away from home point, etc.) and that different behavior could be very consequential to the outcome (e.g it lands in the water or it lands on the land).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar