Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Any free iOS app for WiFi signal analysis ?

MustangPhil

Reaction score
Hello Anafists,
I fly with both an Android device (for which lots of Apps exist and will show the 2,4 and 5 GHz WiFi bands and used canals) and my iOS iPad 4... for such I did not find a simple app (appart from FreeFlight6 app that has the network tool... but needs you to be connected to the RadioCommand).
Do you know any app for iOS for a pre-flight WiFi signal analysis ?
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
IOS doesn’t really give apps that kind of access to the wifi radio.

At any rate you’d only be seeing a small part of half of the picture, on your end you’re relatively sheltered on the ground, with line of sight to sources of interference blocked by terrain, trees and buildings.

The analyzer is only good for testing signal right where you are.

It might not even detect anything until your drone is in the air - if an wifi AP or connected device detects interference from your drone on a similar channel, it might crank up the signal strength to compensate.

The opposite is also true; Most APs will, mounted correctly, put out signal in a flat disc shape around the access point, so your phone might see a signal as quite strong, while the drone once up in the air can see the signal from the skycontroller quite clearly, but not the AP a hundred feet below.

Your best bet is to just fly and switch frequencies when you get too much interference, have faith that the RTH function will work if you loose signal, and maintain visual contact or have a locator beacon of some kind apart from the drone’s connection itself.

Hello Anafists,
I fly with both an Android device (for which lots of Apps exist and will show the 2,4 and 5 GHz WiFi bands and used canals) and my iOS iPad 4... for such I did not find a simple app (appart from FreeFlight6 app that has the network tool... but needs you to be connected to the RadioCommand).
Do you know any app for iOS for a pre-flight WiFi signal analysis ?
Thanks in advance...
I’ve recently found this.
You can download AirPort for free in the App Store. As soon as you have installed the utility app, open the “Settings” on your iPhone and scroll down until you find “AirPort”. Open the appplication and turn on the “Wi-Fi Scanner” by tapping the slide button.
It’s a nightmare trying to get a channel scanner for iOS now with the restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: MustangPhil
Thank you Whoopy for your help ! I didn’t know Apple did apply restrictions on it !
I did exactly what you said, and if you did not tell me to go in the settings of the App... I would never have found that !!
I can now see WiFi networks, their affected canals, the signal strength of each SSID... so it’s better than nothing... I can include it in my pre-flight check-list as a first ‘round’ of how is the area crowded with WiFi devices.

I understand the points Augerin did mention, but it’s an interesting starting point anyway.

Thanks to both of you,
Philippe

The famous App „Fing“ should also be able to scan for networks if I remember correctly

Update: Fing actually doesn’t offer this feature :/

Last edited:
Hello Seitenwerk,
I’ve just tested Fing App for iOS but all I could scan was my own network. I think I’ll stick with AirPort...
Thanks anyway,
Philippe

Hello Seitenwerk,
I’ve just tested Fing App for iOS but all I could scan was my own network. I think I’ll stick with AirPort...
Thanks anyway,
Philippe

Ok, really thought it had that feature but thanks for updating us on this :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quinzee