Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bebop 2 falling off the sky..!!

I must point out that if you plan to purchase the GiFi batteries, they will work for the Bebop2, but they require a balance charger. Parrot OEM batteries have a circuit inside the battery pack that balance charges the cells. The GiFi batteries do not have this circuit. You can get away for a few times using them with the Parrot charger, but not a good idea for long term use.

Mike

Hey Mike! Thanks for the heads up.
I must say I've seen so many Utube video's and various other comments about the Parrot Bebop chargers being balanced and NOT being balanced etc. Even from Parrots own Tech Support!
Now that I know more about LiPo battery's and there fragile state if not stored properly, I plan to look after them much better then I did with my other (now dead) battery's.
Thanks for your help Mike. It's very much appreciated.
BTW I came across a few comments in which people were saying Pitch the old Parrot battery's but keep the Battery Shells. Have you heard of this?

Yes, that is because the battery shells contains the balance circuit. The aftermarket batteries do not have this circuit. A few months ago I had a battery cause a uncontrolled landing (soft crash) and when I put it in my charger to see, cell 2 was way off so I decided to scrap the battery. I saved the shell and the circuit board. You have to be skilled at soldering to do this. Even a battery that the drone reports as dead is not dead. The drone will cut out when a cell drops below 3.1 volts. (most Lipo driven gadgets will do this to protect the battery) This video is the crash that decided the fate of this battery. When cell 2 started dropping fast, the other 2 tried to compensate but they discharged faster and the drone didn't make it back. On screen is my battery level during the flight.

Mike

Attachments

• 0514201641 (Medium).jpg
    0514201641 (Medium).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 4
  • 0518201911 (Medium).jpg
    0518201911 (Medium).jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi CANADABOY54

I have been looking for someone with this issue all day. I bought a 2nd hand Parrot AR Drone 2.0 and I have 3 Batteries. They all do the same thing.. Fly for up to 10 sec then battery dies. but Disconnect and Connect again and same thing.

Batteries are still charged..

Please let us know if you get new batteries and the problem is solved.

Thanks

Hey Mike! Thanks for the heads up.
I must say I've seen so many Utube video's and various other comments about the Parrot Bebop chargers being balanced and NOT being balanced etc. Even from Parrots own Tech Support!
Now that I know more about LiPo battery's and there fragile state if not stored properly, I plan to look after them much better then I did with my other (now dead) battery's.
Thanks for your help Mike. It's very much appreciated.
BTW I came across a few comments in which people were saying Pitch the old Parrot battery's but keep the Battery Shells. Have you heard of this?
PROBLEM SOLVED! Hello to all that took an interest in my battery problems.
You were quite correct. It was a battery problem. I received my new batteries last week for my Bebop 2. 4000mah and it now flies like charm with plenty of flight time. Thanks again everyone!!! BTW any suggestions for a good balance charger?

Hmmm Really...I am curious now.. I need to make myself a connector adaptor and use another of my 3s batteries... so strange I have 3 GIFI batteries all 3 charged up fine, getting the same problem you described :(

Hmmm Really...I am curious now.. I need to make myself a connector adaptor and use another of my 3s batteries... so strange I have 3 GIFI batteries all 3 charged up fine, getting the same problem you described :(
When I got them both last week I charged them using the Parrot charger. Not really trusting them, I hovered the drone, made a few up-down maneuvers followed by a short distance and a RTH. Everything seems fine. Mrkent.com has a Utube video about load testing batteries. And some other members have posted checking batteries using a multimeter. Good luck!!!

Thanks, just out of curiosity did you test your faulty batteries? cause I tested them and I am showing 12.x V each cell is charged fully. Makes it sound like its the discharge rate because as soon as I put props on any if the motors battery life gets sucked right out ( on the screen display not physical battery )

went out and bougth these little pins that would fit into the dones battery connector and I made my own adapter. Works great now. For sure was the batteries discharge rate that seemed to be the problem even if showing full charge.

Thanks, just out of curiosity did you test your faulty batteries? cause I tested them and I am showing 12.x V each cell is charged fully. Makes it sound like its the discharge rate because as soon as I put props on any if the motors battery life gets sucked right out ( on the screen display not physical battery )
Hi there! Yes, tested them all. Tested the total 11.1 volts and the individual cells 3.1v. Props off they’d last 15-20 minutes run time. Props on, I’d be lucky to get ten seconds!!

Maybe I can add my 2 grains of salt here. (Hypothesis)
As an IT profesional I can tell you this,
they all run on a linux flavor of operating system:Android Customized for Parrot.
Usually very stable but external bad in-out can cause errors that could cause a system crash or reboot.
Example: a bad execution instruction is rejected , somehow goes to the memory module and boom, a protection reset.
These birds are flying computers with memory, cpu, boards etc.
Extreme temperatures, faulty wirings, bad cooling, bad memory, or gps contact , dirt, electromagnetism etc etc. can affect them

dont panic ok, it doesnt happen most of the time. Most likely never. But remember what they really are.

There are ways to check the event managment to see what really occurs in detail. Event extended logging can be set but it is beyond the scope of the topic if you dont know how to access to Operating System.

It will show whether it was a battery Fluctuation or anything else.

OK, Just that time that really upsets our day.....

Last edited:
Hi there! Yes, tested them all. Tested the total 11.1 volts and the individual cells 3.1v. Props off they’d last 15-20 minutes run time. Props on, I’d be lucky to get ten seconds!!

What is the voltage before snd after the test run?
Test voltage, run dry, Log time, Test voltage
fully recharge. Test voltage
Test voltage, run with props, log time, test voltage.

the only variable is slight weight of props and air friction. The motor spins the same no?

My parrot bebop 2 was flying great after few flyths i took it out and it acted wierd. i started flying up and when i let the controller go it was still fyling up. than i tryed to bring it down it started wobbling gone unstable and landed much faster than usual. making wierd movements. dont know what could be the problem i tryed factory reset it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut