Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Connecting controller to the computer

Kingkazma

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know how to connect the drone controller to the computer via Bluetooth.

I tried connecting it via USB (while it's turn off because otherwise it doesn't work) and when I plug it in, the computer detects it and receive all the inputs but after like 1/2 minutes it stop working.
I think it's because the drone since is in charge (the USB port charge the controller) it doesn't need to send inputs.

Then I tried connecting via Bluetooth but even when the computer says he paired with the controller the controller's led continue beeping and it doesn't send any comands

I noticed that if u connect the controller to a smartphone even without the app open the led stop beeping but I didn't found a way to receive the inputs without using the app.

I wanted to connect the controller to use it in a simulator or as a generic controller since my drone ( Parrot mini mambo series) is broken (the Bluetooth still work and it connects to the app) but I think some motors are broken and since is a very old drone I don't want to repair it

If someone have any suggestions or any third party apps to connect to the controller please let me know

Are you talking about the Flypad?
It won't work.
The only thing that can use it are the phone apps.

USB connection works only for about half minute, then it drops, probably because it didn't receive some "special" command from an app.
Their stupid Windows port of Freeflight don't work either.

Bluetooth connection also don't work outside of the dedicated drone apps.

Otherwise, it looks like a normal gamepad inside (i opened mine), it even has a rumble motor.
But greedy parrot crippled it just for the sake of it.
You can't use it as a generic controller!

At the end I found a solution, the controller uses Bluetooth le (low energy).

I used python to create a program that gets all the information about the controller (what buttons are pressed and the position of the joysticks.)

Then I passed the information to a library that simulate an Xbox controller, and everything worked

The libraries that i used are "vgamepad" and "bleak" while the string to read the data from is "9e35fa01-4344-44d4-a2e2-0c7f6046878b" at least for my controller.
If you need more help fell free to ask

I used python to create a program that gets all the information about the controller (what buttons are pressed and the position of the joysticks.)

Then I passed the information to a library that simulate an Xbox controller, and everything worked

The libraries that i used are "vgamepad" and "bleak" while the string to read the data from is "9e35fa01-4344-44d4-a2e2-0c7f6046878b" at least for my controller.
Could you give us access to the code you wrote ?

It's possible that the drone controller is not designed to work as a generic Bluetooth controller and may only work with the specific drone and its accompanying app. However, there are some things you can try to see if you can get it working as a generic controller:
  1. Check if there is a software update available for the controller or the drone. Sometimes updates can fix issues with connectivity and functionality.
  2. Try using a different USB port on your computer. It's possible that the USB port you're using is not providing enough power or is experiencing some other issue.
  3. Make sure that the Bluetooth on your computer is turned on and in discoverable mode. Sometimes you need to manually put your computer's Bluetooth in pairing mode before it can connect to a new device.
  4. Try using a third-party controller mapping software, such as Joystick Mapper or ControllerMate, to see if you can map the controller's inputs to generic controls that can be used in a simulator or other applications.
  5. Contact the manufacturer's customer support to see if they have any suggestions or solutions to the issue you're experiencing.
I hope one of these suggestions helps you get your drone controller working as a generic controller.

I am currently going through the process of writing essentially the same code as you and i can confirm the data is also in the the "9e35fa01-4344-44d4-a2e2-0c7f6046878b" string if anyone else is doing this

Hi, does anyone know how to connect the drone controller to the computer via Bluetooth.

I tried connecting it via USB (while it's turn off because otherwise it doesn't work) and when I plug it in, the computer detects it and receive all the inputs but after like 1/2 minutes it stop working.
I think it's because the drone since is in charge (the USB port charge the controller) it doesn't need to send inputs.

Then I tried connecting via Bluetooth but even when the computer says he paired with the controller the controller's led continue beeping and it doesn't send any comands

I noticed that if u connect the controller to a smartphone even without the app open the led stop beeping but I didn't found a way to receive the inputs without using the app.

I wanted to connect the controller to use it in a simulator or as a generic controller since my drone ( Parrot mini mambo series) is broken (the Bluetooth still work and it connects to the app) but I think some motors are broken and since is a very old drone I don't want to repair it

If someone have any suggestions or any third party apps to connect to the controller please let me know
Together with @lonestar125 the code is now completely done. All buttons are mapped and fully usable like a normal controller. The takeoff button was mapped to start and the 1 and 2 buttons were mapped to x and y. If you need any help installing you can contact me on Discord as 'greenhawk20'. Github page with files/code

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut