Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Controller Won't Power Up

pmh1nic

Reaction score
I picked up my Anafi yesterday and charged the batteries on the controller and drone. The status light on the controller is green but when I lift the phone holder to the fully extended position the controller doesn't power up. Any suggestions?

I picked up my Anafi yesterday and charged the batteries on the controller and drone. The status light on the controller is green but when I lift the phone holder to the fully extended position the controller doesn't power up. Any suggestions?

I would return it to the seller requesting a replacement or warranty repair.

Regards, Leif.

Good plan to get a replacement. One thing you can try is when opened down by where it is hinged on the left hand side is the slider switch that you can just make out. Maybe try taking a pen or something that will fit in there and wiggle it to see if it makes contact. Might be just misaligned or not making good contact.
If not get it replaced.

I got the replacement. I plugged in the new controller to charge it. The light was red for about ten minutes and then turned green. I can't imagine it could have been significantly discharged and charged that quickly but when I lifted the phone holder the power light did go on (light blue).

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I turned off the controller to wait for the drone battery to fully charge. I kept the controller plugged in to insure that it would be fully charged when the drone was ready. Now that the drone is charged I go to turn the controller back on and it won't power up! Something strange going on since this is the second controller in to days where this has happened.

Beyond that I can't get either of my smart phones to show they are connected to the drone. I go to settings, select the drone wifi, put in the password, get an acknowledgment that I'm connected but Freeflight 6 says I'm not connected. Frustration is setting in.

Follow-up...I did get the drone to pair with my iPhone and launched the drone in the house using the iPhone controls. Not my preferred method since it doesn't provide the tactile feel of using the controller but at least the drone is working. If anyone has any insight on what might be going on with the controller I'd appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different usb cable?Mine was "flakey" right out of the box. No signal from controller to my phone.Changed the cable and my issue was solved...

Gotcha!
Thought maybe a faulty cable was plugged in as you were trying to power up the controller.

I tried a couple of different cables.
Good plan to get a replacement. One thing you can try is when opened down by where it is hinged on the left hand side is the slider switch that you can just make out. Maybe try taking a pen or something that will fit in there and wiggle it to see if it makes contact. Might be just misaligned or not making good contact.
If not get it replaced.

BTW, I did try jiggling the little switch under the smart phone holder that rides up and down when you open and close it but no joy. Now I'm wondering if after a second controller wouldn't power up is if there is anyway that somehow having it pulled into the USB port on my computer there may have been some interaction between my computer and the controller that might have screwed something up. Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back from Parrot support. Hopefully we can get this figured out.

Does the controller power up with no cables connected to it when you lift the phone holder?

It should.

If it does not I suspect a second defective control or the seller did not swap it giving you the same one back.

Another thought, were you using a normal usb charger?

Perhaps it has damaged the controllers especially if you used the same one on both of them.

The controller won't power up with or without cables.

The second controller was definitely a different controller. They swapped out the whole unit (drone, controller, batteries, cables, etc.) in a new box (had old and new sealed box side by side).

Unbelievably bad luck that you would get two bad TX's, haven't seen this issue. They should just turn on when opened.

Unbelievably bad luck that you would get two bad TX's, haven't seen this issue. They should just turn on when opened.

It would be very bad luck which has me thinking there may have been something going on between my computer and the controller while it was plugged into the USB port. I can't imagine what that could be but it just seems totally strange that it would power up prior to charging and both controllers die after charging. I guess it could be something inherent in a particular batch of controllers but I think the vendor would know about it (not that they would tell me). That said my computer is just a garden variety Lenovo laptop and I've never had any issues with anything else plugged into one of the USB ports (headphones, printer, memory sticks, card reader, etc.).

It would be very bad luck which has me thinking there may have been something going on between my computer and the controller while it was plugged into the USB port. I can't imagine what that could be but it just seems totally strange that it would power up prior to charging and both controllers die after charging. I guess it could be something inherent in a particular batch of controllers but I think the vendor would know about it (not that they would tell me). That said my computer is just a garden variety Lenovo laptop and I've never had any issues with anything else plugged into one of the USB ports (headphones, printer, memory sticks, card reader, etc.).

Ya, I've used all kinds of chargers but never a PC on the TX.

I spoke Parrot customer support. There is no inherent problem with changing the controller via the USB port on a PC. Based on what I was told there was a batch of bad batteries and I just happened to get to units that had the bad batteries. They advised me to return the unit to the vendor and give it another try.

Just got my anafi with skycontroller 3. When I opened it for the first time it was happily blinking and so on. I did open/close it couple of times and it seem to work. Then I notice I had to charge drone batteries, so I also tried charing controller with my PC. Afterwards controller did no longer light up after opening.

Did you charge the controller using the supplied USB-A to USB-C lead with the USB-C end plugged into the controller? Also did the red charging light illuminate on the controller and then change to green when it was fully charged?

yes & yes, now I connected it to a typical usb charger and I will leave it overnight, but its still showing a green light and is unresponsive otherwise...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut