Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dolly Zoom, Video Settings & Colours?

Krusty Geeza

Reaction score
Website
alexmausolf.com
Okay folks, I'm a self-confessed newbie with drones, my only experience has been borrowing a Mavic Pro for a month late last year & not getting to use it as much as I had hoped because of strong winds.

I got an Anafi last Friday after much research into the features I wanted & what was available for my tight budget.

I have a couple of newbie questions, as we are prone to doing as newbie's. :giggle:

Firstly, I have played with the Dolly Zoom feature at various settings & notice some seriously degraded visuals as you get towards the extreme end of it. This has happened with Lossless turned on too! So far, I have only tried it at 4K & 2.7K @ 30fps. I'll try it on 1080 this morning, but my question is this, is that loss of quality normal? I have seen some great examples of this at play on YouTube claiming they shot at 4K 30fps.

Secondly, what film mode are you all finding to be consistently best? I am not using it professionally or anything, it is just that I will be recording a wide variety of community events & community groups with it & I'd like my job to be relatively easy to colour match & colour grade at the end.

Finally, whenever I photograph something or someone, I take a frame of my ColorChecker card under that light condition, so I can achieve correct colour afterwards; is this also to be incorporated with my video captures too? I will still be doing this for my photography using the Anafi, as I am capturing RAW files for maximum editing abilities & quality.

We had a discussion about LUTs for Anafi's RAW here.
Would you be able to you make a DNG color profile for Anafi?
I'm asking because you obviously own a color chart ... ;)

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
We had a discussion about LUTs for Anafi's RAW here.
Would you be able to you make a DNG color profile for Anafi?
I'm asking because you obviously own a color chart ... ;)
Thanks for the pointer @Dirk_ANAFI I was just starting a search under Anafi + Video, to take a look at after breakfast.

I'll make a series of DNG Colour Profiles, under different types of light conditions as I encounter them, but & it's a big but, I am in Southern Australia, with our particular light conditions, which obviously are very different to those light conditions in say Scotland or Wales. They should however give a good starting point for most people for say, summer sun, winter sun, summer cloudy, winter cloudy, winter grey, summer sunset, summer shade, winter shade, interior shade, etc...

I hope they will be of help to some of you in your work-flow processes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
Yes, it's clear that light conditions in Adelaide are not the same as for me here in Europe.
But I thougt it is possible to make a kind of "universal" DNG color profile like mentioned in this RawTherapee Wiki.
They describe a "DCP dual-illuminant" color profile, that obviously offers a kind of "standard" color profile for a given camera's RAW data.

Yes, it's clear that light conditions in Adelaide are not the same as for me here in Europe.
But I thougt it is possible to make a kind of "universal" DNG color profile like mentioned in this RawTherapee Wiki.
They describe a "DCP dual-illuminant" color profile, that obviously offers a kind of "standard" color profile for a given camera's RAW data.
The closest you could come, technically, would be for me to create one under a constant 5500K, neutral daylight source. As all scenarios are different, even being in different forests throw differing green colour casts, there really is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all profile. Which is why I always shoot a frame of my ColorChecker card first, under each different light source or condition I find myself shooting in.

But, I will also confess to being a pedant! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
The closest you could come, technically, would be for me to create one under a constant 5500K, neutral daylight source. As all scenarios are different, even being in different forests throw differing green colour casts, there really is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all profile. Which is why I always shoot a frame of my ColorChecker card first, under each different light source or condition I find myself shooting in.

But, I will also confess to being a pedant! :rolleyes:
Question from an "also-sometimes-pedant":
Checking colours with a colour chart at your location, for every shot series and under authentic light conditions is of course the best "professional" way to get "true" colour impressions.
My plan to make a DNG colour profile for Anafi's camera as described in the linked Wiki would be a method to compensate "systemic" colour mistakes caused by this special camera. This is independant from the scenario you'll find at your shooting location.
My thought:
If I can compensate the systemic errors with a "Anafi RAW colour correction" then it would be easier to correct any special needs in certain situations, because the systemic error was already corrected.
What do you think?

Question from an "also-sometimes-pedant":
Checking colours with a colour chart at your location, for every shot series and under authentic light conditions is of course the best "professional" way to get "true" colour impressions.
My plan to make a DNG colour profile for Anafi's camera as described in the linked Wiki would be a method to compensate "systemic" colour mistakes caused by this special camera. This is independant from the scenario you'll find at your shooting location.
My thought:
If I can compensate the systemic errors with a "Anafi RAW colour correction" then it would be easier to correct any special needs in certain situations, because the systemic error was already corrected.
What do you think?
Having been down this rabbit hole early in my photography practice, I learnt that you can create a neutral profile under 5500K constant light & then adapt as needed for each location,s colour effected deviances, but it's always easier & more colour accurate to just take a frame of the ColorChecker card first under each light condition you experience, create a profile for it & apply it in Lightroom as a batch edit.

I happen to photograph a lot of friends & acquaintances art works for them & hence my need for absolute colour accuracy. How I interpret a landscape however, may alter depending on what I felt or experienced while I was there, or what I'm trying to present. Then, colour accuracy is not really relevant! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut