Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Follow Me Track & Cameraman Hill-climb Observations

Krusty Geeza

Reaction score
Website
alexmausolf.com
Yesterday morning I had the chance to test out the hill-climbing & descending abilities of the Anafi on a steep hillside not too far from home. It's a fairly steep 25 metre ascent to the top.

This was captured in Cinema mode, using the inbuilt Natural setting, with no colour grading, sharpening or other editing from me, apart from the obvious cutting & splicing.

The dog with me is "Fenna", she is 9 months old at the time of making this video & is a Mastiff x Ridgeback being trained as my Assistance Animal (Service Dog) for my CPTSD. She goes everywhere with me & appears in many of my videos, normally running through on her way to explore another area. The green backpack is full of her stuff, like food, water, snacks, toys & an Epipen as she is allergic to bees! The grey case is for the Anafi & it's a lot lighter than hers!

Thank You for sharing.

Yes, the tracking of the Anafi works very well. I did almost the same experiment and used just the phone.
It works better when the Anafi is following ( with the camera facing forward).
Much better tracking than either the Spark I had or the EVO!

Last edited:
Very interesting!
What I saw:
- Anafi adapted altitude uphill while following you from behind
- Anafi did the same downhill, but because of not knowing anything about the terrain shape the "to low" message appeared.
- The only way to get this Follow-Me to work without manually correcting the height downhill would be to follow you from one side and not partly from behind.

You made the cameraman version vice-versa: Anafi flew in front of you or you were following the drone. So it's hard to compare both versions.

Do I see that right?

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Very interesting!
What I saw:
- Anafi adapted altitude uphill while following you from behind
- Anafi did the same downhill, but because of not knowing anything about the terrain shape the "to low" message appeared.
- The only way to get this Follow-Me to work without manually correcting the height downhill would be to follow you from one side and not partly from behind.

You made the cameraman version vice-versa: Anafi flew in front of you or you were following the drone. So it's hard to compare both versions.

Do I see that right?
You hit the nail right on the head....It does do much better following(pointing forward) than it does leading ( drone flying backward with camera toward you).
I suspect, as you mentioned, that it uses the camera to determine the distance from the subject and also a bit of the bottom sensor during those autonomous modes/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut