Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Foreign travel

Northumbrian

Reaction score
Maybe a daft question, but I’m asking it anyhow!
apart from local laws, is there anything I need to do regarding GPS or settings when flying abroad.
going to the Maldives in March and thinking of taking rhe Anafi.

Calibrate the anafi before flying at your new location and check for plug-in compatability for your electronics where you are staying.Use of filters (Nd/CPL)can be a real bonus.Use a landing pad or hand launch.Sand is not nice.
Watch for condensation when taking Anafi out of air conditioned areas into the hot and humid environment. Acclimatize the Anafi(camera) SLOWLY or condensation becomes problematic.Acclimatize slowly upon returning to air conditioned areas.
Stay away from others enjoying a peaceful and quiet vacation.
And PLEASE dont become so dedicated to grabbing beautiful video and photos that you forget to look around and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Calibrate the anafi before flying at your new location and check for plug-in compatability for your electronics where you are staying.Use of filters (Nd/CPL)can be a real bonus.Use a landing pad or hand launch.Sand is not nice.
Watch for condensation when taking Anafi out of air conditioned areas into the hot and humid environment. Acclimatize the Anafi(camera) SLOWLY or condensation becomes problematic.Acclimatize slowly upon returning to air conditioned areas.
Stay away from others enjoying a peaceful and quiet vacation.
And PLEASE dont become so dedicated to grabbing beautiful video and photos that you forget to look around and enjoy yourself.
Thanks for the advice Thanev, some good info, ( the air con and humidity never entered my mind )?....
much appreciated.

Hmmmm... what about flight batteries? are they eligible for going onboard the flight?

Hmmmm... what about flight batteries? are they eligible for going onboard the flight?
Batteries must go in hand luggage. Not had any issues on several easyjet and Ryanair flights within the UK and abroad, however I haven't been on any long haul flights with the Anafi. I bought a small lipo-safe bag from Amazon (as recommended by several people) for carrying the batteries. Have been through Security many times now with the Anafi and batteries in hand luggage and no problems at all.

I am currently in Australia. I flew here on Emirates via Dubai. I had the Anafi, without battery, in my checked in suitcase as required by Emirates. The controller and Anafi battery, in a lipo bag, were in my cabin baggage and I passed through Manchester Airport security no problem.

In the UK as long as your batteries are within the limits set here :-

Then you can fly, regardless of what the specific airline says.

Seen lots of airline state stupid things like no lithium batteries or some even saying no drones, blah blah.

Reality is if you pass security you will be flying - it is at security they are checking you against the rules set by the CAA and items that can be carried with you.

Only thing to be careful with is the rules of the civil avaitaion authority of the country you will be flying back from, as some may differ - however I have generally found most of these rules are pretty much aligned between all the aviation authorities I have seen.

Hi,

Every anafi-battery is abt 20 Wh.
The formula is (Number of Cells x 50% charged x Rated power i A x Voltage)" -> So Anafi battery is (2Cell x 0,5 x 2,7A x 7,6v) = 20,5 Wh each at 50% charged.
That is well under the IATA stated 100w for bringing on as cabinbagage. (In Lo-Po bag)

Hello @Dart67_SWE,

I am not sure about your formula for the Anafi battery.

I would have done the following calculations (but I may be wrong)

- Number Of cells = 2 on the ANAFI that is kind of a 2S drone, but each individual cell is limited to a maximum of around 3,8 V. The voltage you mention at the end for the formula does already include the fact there are 2 cells for a total of 7,6 Volts. It is also written in capital letters on the battery : Charging Limiting Voltage 8,7 Volts.
- Rated Power I (A) = 2700 mAh. But also stated on the battery discharge max 3A at 8C.

So I would say : 8,7 V max x 3 A x 50% charge (you can prove if you click on the button that shows 2 leds on the 4 possible leds) = 13 W

... still wayyy under the limits. and also easy to demonstrate before boarding (no mention of the 2 cells on the battery but the total of 8,7 Volts includes the fact there are 2 cells).
They generally ask for a 50% discharge that corresponds to the most stable chemical stability of LiPo battery.
As I am not sure safety agents are familiar with calculations on LiPo batteries. All battery manufacturer should add on the label in Bold Characters

Cabin Bagage Safety Notice in accordance with IATA
- Max 27 W when charged at 100%
- Max 13 W when charged at 50% (two Led Lights on button check)

So we could travel without question at security check

You are guys are really over thinking this - every UN38 approved/tested battery has to have an Wh marking, on the product label, this is the only information that will be used in checking if the battery can be flown with - state of charge etc does not come in to it.

The Anafi battery is rated at 20.52 Wh, which is well within the 100 Wh allowance.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stefante