Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hello from San Diego, CA

Stewball

Reaction score
Website
plowsharemedia.com
Hi! I've been flying a Mavic Mini and heard about the zoom feature on the Anafi and looked into it. My main interest is in the photographic possibilities of drones, not necessarily in flying them, and I think the zoom and 180-degree sweep of the camera offers some more options with the Anafi, so I ordered one. It should be here Friday. Meanwhile, I am reading the manual (downloaded from here, thanks to Agustine for the link in your sig file) and reading threads to learn as much as possible about it.

So far, my biggest question involves flying over water. Both the Mavic Mini and the Anafi state in the manual that this is not recommended, I assume because of the sensing equipment on the bottom facing downward getting confused by reflections? I have already flown the Mini over the ocean without incident many times, as my main interest is taking surf photos. How risky is this with the Anafi, and what can I do to mitigate the risk of losing the drone in the ocean? From what I can tell in searching previous posts, if I have a good GPS fix and stay above 10' or so I will be safer?

Thanks,
Stewball

I'm conservative, so I would use 30 feet rather than 10 at first. I also think it has to do with how calm the surface is, like a pond with no wind. Lots of people have taken surf photos without problems, but usually from 20-30 feet or more, probably because the framing looks better.

Anytime you fly over non-retrievable terrain there is an increased risk if the drone malfunctions. If the shot is important, you just have to accept that. Naturally having a good GPS fix before take-off is critical, and so is not pushing the WiFi connection, for instance if there was a housing development right next to the beach.

Reactions: Stewball
Thanks for the tips. I usually fly out and position the drone staying around 30' high, then drop down to get closer to the action when there's a set of waves. I really want a tighter perspective, which is one of the reasons I want to try the Anafi zoom--to get a closer shot while maintaining greater safety margins.

As far as WiFi goes, I'm afraid my home beaches are quite developed, right down to the water. This video will give you an idea.

Well, at least they haven't built into the surf zone yet. ;) In your case WiFi interference may get less the further out you go.
Another tip is never take the battery below 25% in non-retrievable areas like that. Most of the reported anomalies seem to occur below that level.

Reactions: Stewball
Well, at least they haven't built into the surf zone yet. ;) In your case WiFi interference may get less the further out you go.
Only a few miles south, we do have some motel rooms built out into the surf on a pier. You could get away with that back in the ''20s. :)

Another tip is never take the battery below 25% in non-retrievable areas like that. Most of the reported anomalies seem to occur below that level.
Yes, I have heard of that in relation to the Mavic Mini as well, which has suffered some flyaway incidents. I bought the Anafi bundle with 3 batteries so I could return at 25-40% and have another fully-charged to swap in. I also don''t fly in high wind as the Mini is a lightweight, and the Anafi isn''t much bigger.
Thx,
TT

Last edited:
Enjoy the new Anafi. I've flown over water both high and low with no issues (see video at 0:15 Smith Point Beach ).
Yes, I watched your video earlier when I did a search for ''flying over water'' on this forum before. It was one of the posts that gave me enough confidence to order the Anafi. Can't wait to get it and try it out. It should be here Friday.
Thx,
TT

Reactions: pmh1nic

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood