Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How does "return to home" work

Weetooner

Reaction score
Hi folks

This probably sounds like a silly question, but how does return to home work?

Does the drone return to the location from where it took off or does it return to the location of the skycontroller or whatever device you are using to control drone?

For example if I release the drone and start walking say for about 50 meters and then press return to home, where exactly will the drone return to?

Sorry again if this sounds a silly question.

Thanks.

Hi Weetooner,

Mike is right, but there's an important wrinkle to be aware of with RTH:

If you have used the Follow-me feature since taking off, the Home point is reset to the position of the device/controller when you disengaged Follow-me, not the original take-off point. I found this out by trial & error which was then supported by a video I found posted by AnthonyVLOG (
)

I've just double-checked this in the field, and it's still true. (Bebop2 f/w version 4.7.1 / Skycontroller2 version 1.0.9 / Freeflight Pro version 5.2.7)

Hope this helps.

New here guys so be kind (flying for over thirty years on egg whisks, and two months on drones) I wanted to double check something......first time this has happened, BUT, TOTAL LOSS OF SIGNAL, and either myself hitting the return home, or the drone it's self did return home. However, I then has a drone hovering at 6' and couldn't reconnect.

I managed to hold the rear leg and pressed the off switch.....quite dangerous!

My thought was, I noticed that on landing in long grass the blades can be stopped with no issue to the motors......SO would say putting a teeshirt over the bird stop the blades and turn her off (like long grass landing?)

Great question. I was in a similar situation. Lost connection, RTH, and then Bebop hovered 6 ft off the ground. Reach out and grab it? Wait for the battery to die and catch it? Fortunately, I was able to reconnect and so never had to find out. But it is good to learn that reaching and pressing off is an option if done carefully. (Sorry I have no opinion on the t-shirt idea.)

Thanks for replying........I have now had several, let's just say "extended flights" pushing the envelope on distance and have reconnected and continued with closer flights.
Reason I say about tee shirt is, when landing in long grass it registered as a crash and stopped the motors...... To stop burn out, hence idea of tee shirt, but hay hoe.

I now have a second ,second hand one coming and will look at adding the aerial mod (as I am sure it's just at the limit of what I can fly at the moment) 80m up and around 800m away ( and looking at several YouTube vid's it's a little easier than most think )
A little vid of two flights mixed

Last edited:
New here guys so be kind (flying for over thirty years on egg whisks, and two months on drones) I wanted to double check something......first time this has happened, BUT, TOTAL LOSS OF SIGNAL, and either myself hitting the return home, or the drone it's self did return home. However, I then has a drone hovering at 6' and couldn't reconnect.

My thought was, I noticed that on landing in long grass the blades can be stopped with no issue to the motors......SO would say putting a teeshirt over the bird stop the blades and turn her off (like long grass landing?)

Something else is wrong if the drone does not reconnect once it gets back into range. Yes if the drone loses connection, it will do an automatic return to home. I have had many cases of losing connection, but It always reconnects when it gets back in range automatically.

I would suggest doing a hard reset on the drone first, there are good youtube videos on how to do it.

Reactions: Lamoe
Something else is wrong if the drone does not reconnect once it gets back into range. Yes if the drone loses connection, it will do an automatic return to home. I have had many cases of losing connection, but It always reconnects when it gets back in range automatically.

I would suggest doing a hard reset on the drone first, there are good youtube videos on how to do it.
many thanks....

Never do that again. I know , been there done that, lost some skin. If you must, firmly grab body underneath and quickly tilt drone 90 degrees, nose down. Must sure firm grip, it won't like it, gyroscopic effect. The sudden movement should trigger "motor stop"

Many thanks…..the reason I didn’t grab from underneath was the ground sensor……thought it might think I was the ground?

didn’t know about the gyro stop ( how long dose it take? )

but to be honest has only happened once……so hopefully will not happen again!

I hit a fence with the front legs (2" extensions?), bounced / tilted forward and died - sensed a collision? - 3-D printed legs came with drone.

Took off props, iniated take off, tilted quickly, stopped before reached 90 deg.

Attachments

• 20210922_083745[1].jpg
    20210922_083745[1].jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut