Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPad & Anafi

Will-I-Am

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 9" iPad Pro (cellular) that i could use to fly with the Anafi and the Skycontroller 3. Only the iPad is a little to big.

I was thinking to buy a second hand iPad mini (with cellular for the GPS function) only to use flying the Anafi.

What kind of iPad mini is good enough only for flying? Do i need a iPad mini 2 - 3 - 4?

thanks

I think it depends on the kind of flying you're doing? I have an iPad Mini 4 cellular that I use exclusively with Anafi and it's perfect for me. I sometimes use just the Mini 4 to fly Anafi in follow mode and don't use the skycontroller.

There are several mounts available to put your iPad on skycontroller I'm using the dirty J design Mount which works good for me.

Because i'm still looking for the best tablet-option to fly the Anafi .. what do you pilots recommend as a tablet for use with the SkyController 3?

I have a iPhone and iPad Pro and would like to buy a tablet only to use for flying the Anafi .. i don't need any other functions on it. It must have GPS function on it.

Is iOS better than Android ? I was thinking about the iPad mini (size & cellular function) only i don't know how 'strong' the tablet (soft & hardwere) have to be for the Anafi software ...

I tried the IPad Mini 4 with cellular. The aspect ratio does not match the 16:9 video from the Anafi so you have black bars at top and bottom, wasted space for the screen size. The brightness was just almost good enough with a hood. I sold it and bought the Samsung s5e. The aspect ratio is correct, the screen is larger and much brighter than the IPad. The bezels are very thin, so not a lot of wasted space for the 10.5" screen size. It plays 4K video very nicely and it has a card slot so you can play back your video from the Anafi easily. It comes with GPS, no cellular model required and it cost less than the non-cellular Ipad.

If using Follow mode I find Android tablets fall short, many do not have internal barometers for dynamic altitude and XY GPS postioning is poor. I tried my Samsung and while it worked for Follow it was far behind the iPad for performance.

If not using Autonomus modes I guess it doesn't matter, but if you are I recommend sticking with Apple(and I'm not an Apple fan).

Reactions: Jed Anafi
With the iPad Mini a barometer is only available on the mini 4.

If using Follow mode I find Android tablets fall short, many do not have internal barometers for dynamic altitude and XY GPS postioning is poor. I tried my Samsung and while it worked for Follow it was far behind the iPad for performance.

If not using Autonomus modes I guess it doesn't matter, but if you are I recommend sticking with Apple(and I'm not an Apple fan).
The s5e does lack a barometer. I have found the GPS to be very accurate and it gets a fix way faster than the Anafi. In a recent shoot, in a new location, the s5e got a fix instantly and the Anafi would not get a solid lock until I had it 30 feet up.

If you use iPad mini 4 (wi-fi + cellular) do you have to have a phone plan with a provider (at&t, sprint, etc...) to fly?

I use an iPad mini 4 WiFi version (no cellular) with an external Bluetooth GPS (Garmin GLO). I download the maps when I’m home, but if I need an internet access, I use my phone as a WiFi access point (almost never needed that).

I use an iPad mini 4 WiFi version (no cellular) with an external Bluetooth GPS (Garmin GLO). I download the maps when I’m home, but if I need an internet access, I use my phone as a WiFi access point (almost never needed that).
Hi MustangPhil,
As I would like to use my I pad mini 2 I was thinking of using a Garmin GLO to provide the much needed GPS contact for the controller but I am unsure if this would interfere with the Anafi GPS operation. Do you know if using a Garmin GLO would provide a compatible system.

I am not sure I understand your question, but :

- GPS signal is emitted by satellites to the earth.
- Your GPS on earth (controller or Anafi) are only receptors. They never emit any signal
- The GPS receptor in your Anafi or in your Garmin GLO, will never interfere
- The only interference that could mess with the Anafi are mainly WiFi interferences. So all WiFi devices should be ‘Off’, but the Garmin GLO gives the info to the iPad via Bluetooth so no risk for interference as Anafi ‘ignores’ Bluetooth signals.

hope this helps

Reactions: Down Under
I’ve recently been shopping for an 8inch tablet solely for use with my flying machines

A budget option I tried recently was the 8 inch Teclast P80X.
This retails for around $100, has GPS, 4GCell, Octocore something or other, 3/32GB expandable. However it didn’t suit my needs as I needed something with 5GHz WiFi, and this didn’t even though the manufacturer/Amazon claimed it did. Also my UVC devices didn’t work with it.

So I went the other side of the Spectrum and settled on a Huawei M5 Lite 8. This has the 5GHz WiFi I craved with the added bonus it’s not restricted to just the EU allocation unlike all the other Android devices I’d tried. This means I can access one of my Yuneec cameras I bought from the USA.

Up until acquiring this tablet I’d been using either my iPad 2018 ( bit too large and heavy and a pain in the arse to remove from its industrial housing, also no modded APP on iOS) or my Samsung S7 (too small for my knackered eyes). The M5 seems to have a lower latency when used with FF6, FFpro, and the DJIGO4 apps. I also use it as a ground station with my APM/Pixhawk models.

As for tablet mounts I use one of these.

I can use it with my S7 without taking it out of its industrial housing, and I don’t have to worry about the phone suddenly flipping off due to the inadequate fitting of the SC3. It also comes apart and I’m able to mount it on my Taranis using a standard 3/8 monitor mount.

I’ve only had the M5 a day or so but I’m quite pleased with it, even though it cost more than I originally intended to spend.

Regards

Nidge.

I have the Huawei M5 8.4" with the 2k screen, and totally love it..... Got rid of my Apple Mini for it and never looked back. Apart from being a great screen for flying, when I am travelling its awesome for movies, and with the addition of an SD Card gives oodles of memory to play with.

I have a USB C to HDMI Cable for when I am in the hotels, and it all just works a treat...... I dont care what "Trump" says about Huawei, I just love their products..... Have the P30 Pro as well, and again, great for some quick flying.

I have the Huawei M5 8.4" with the 2k screen, and totally love it..... Got rid of my Apple Mini for it and never looked back. Apart from being a great screen for flying, when I am travelling its awesome for movies, and with the addition of an SD Card gives oodles of memory to play with.

I have a USB C to HDMI Cable for when I am in the hotels, and it all just works a treat...... I dont care what "Trump" says about Huawei, I just love their products..... Have the P30 Pro as well, and again, great for some quick flying.

So this checks all the boxes for follow me mode or do you need to add a external GPS?

To be honest I have never used the "FollowMe" mode, not something I am really into, so I cannot give an honest opinion on that.

I hope it would be perfect for it, maybe someone else with the same device can comment. For everything else this is a stunning device.... Thin, light, and screen to die for :)

But now you have raised the question, I would be very much interested.

Oh and works perfect with the "DirtyJ Mount"

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
So this checks all the boxes for follow me mode or do you need to add a external GPS?
I've used one for a while now as well. As for follow me usage, it has internal GPS but I don't believe it has a barometer (not used follow me for a long time).

I use a Mini 4 cellular it has GPS and an internal barometer, the non cellular does not. During the pre follow check if your device has a proper barometer a green check mark will appear next to it.

I am an Android guy but use Apple for follow, the GPS seems to be more precise and dynamic altitude smoother, I can not get Android to work as accurately.

If follow is not a concern Android is fine, but for follow I prefer Apple with built-in GPS/baro. I don't think external GPS devices respond as well as built in but I haven't tried it.

Reactions: Jed Anafi
Just for info, I have an iPad 4 mini non cellular (so no GPS module, I use Garmin GLO with Bluetooth and it is extremely precise), but this non cellular iPad mini 4 has the internal barometer sensor (and it works so well I can see variations of altitude/pression when I put my iPad mini 4 on the ground, at waist level or if I hold it above my head).

Attachments

• 3E391273-6C6B-44C7-9B58-34A810292F1C.jpeg
    3E391273-6C6B-44C7-9B58-34A810292F1C.jpeg
    531.1 KB · Views: 11

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320