Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Just a thought...

Darth Mensor

Reaction score
Being new to this drone malarkey (only 20 or so flights, all of which I consider training) I read articles and watched a few YouTube vids researching what drone to get, before I settled on the Anafi, a decision I’m absolutely delighted with btw.

One of the things I read was that it was recommended to put your smartphone into airplane mode and to take off your smart watch.

Presumably when these are left on they interfere with the gps signals.

This I have done in all my flights so far, my thought is this, how many of the glitches reported could be due to leaving the phone active or leaving on the smart watch ?

I am new to the anafi and drones in general, my first flight I kept my apple watch on, also didnt know about putting my phone in airplane mode, the first flight was constant warnings about interference etc, also the FreeFlight app prompted me to put my phone in airplane mode (which I ignored)

After that flight I did some research and read about putting the phone in airplane mode and also not wearing a smart watch (particularly apple watch) since then I make sure to leave my watch at home or in the car, switch phone to airplane mode, and I dont think I have ever got one warning about interference.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
I am new to the anafi and drones in general, my first flight I kept my apple watch on, also didnt know about putting my phone in airplane mode, the first flight was constant warnings about interference etc, also the FreeFlight app prompted me to put my phone in airplane mode (which I ignored)

After that flight I did some research and read about putting the phone in airplane mode and also not wearing a smart watch (particularly apple watch) since then I make sure to leave my watch at home or in the car, switch phone to airplane mode, and I dont think I have ever got one warning about interference.
Exactly this for me, minus the smart watch. I have forgotten a couple of times & had very erratic flight behaviour as a result! :oops::rolleyes:

Being new to this drone malarkey (only 20 or so flights, all of which I consider training) I read articles and watched a few YouTube vids researching what drone to get, before I settled on the Anafi, a decision I’m absolutely delighted with btw.

One of the things I read was that it was recommended to put your smartphone into airplane mode and to take off your smart watch.

Presumably when these are left on they interfere with the gps signals.

This I have done in all my flights so far, my thought is this, how many of the glitches reported could be due to leaving the phone active or leaving on the smart watch ?

It is not to prevent interference with the GPS it is to prevent interference with the control signal. The Anafi controller is using WIFI so you don't want the phone conencted to wifi. The phone also could interfere with controller because it is mounted right on top, even tho cell service is not the exact same freq. as wifi. The phone is constantly talking to the cell tower even if you are not using the phone to call someone.

Exactly. Sometimes when flying I don’t switch anything off as I am in an open area without interference by other WiFi networks or other stuff. But in more dense populated areas having your phone or watch not in airplane mode can have a negative impact. Enough that it may loose signal or at least have problems with the connection.

At least I am happy that the Anafi has a pretty stable long range connection. With my Spark, I absolutely had to switch everything off or it would not even be able to transfer a decent video signal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critinator