Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LIPO batteries & travel

Just got back from Namibia last week. Departed Houston, went to Atlanta, then to Johannesburg aboard Delta. Then South Africa Airways from Johannesburg to Windhoek, Namibia. Two weeks later, did a repeat back to Houston.
I had packed the Anafi (without a battery) and the controller in checked baggage. I took five batteries and kept them in my backpack as my carry on piece. Going through Customs, TSA, etc., not one problem, not one question. I did not have to remove them from my backpack at any point during the process of boarding/departing an airplane or airport.
They didn't ask, I didn't tell.

I'm also glad it went so well for you.

I had a "scary" moment at an Greece airport this summer on vacation thou... But a "good" one.
On my way home from the vacation, at the airport, upon sending my Anafi-gear throu the security xray-machine I was taken to the side by the operators and a securityguard (yeah, with sidearm) quickly showed up too.
My batteries were layed in Li-Po-bags as usual, put throu the xray in a separate tray.
They were asking questions about the batteries and the Li-Po-bags, and I answeared and showed them my printout of the current international regulations for handling of batteries on airplanes etc. (Yes, I'm starting to sweat now...)
There were 2 xray-machines in line and they all stopped, all operators + some more securityguard showed up. (Sweating, is just the first word now)
It all turned out, that the operators and securityguards have not been "fully" informed about how to evaluate "dronebatteries" and Li-Po-bags when showing up on xray-images and in trays.
Then the xray-machines "AI" had problems with recognizing the batteries since they were recently installed.
They actually thanked me for updating them upon in this matter and they run my batteries throu the xray one more time for index-images to the "AI".
They gave me a voucher for the coffeshop in the lounge. Got myself a tall STRONG cup of coffee...
Bottom line: It's sometimes not the Anafi-gear causing the problems going throu security at the airport.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood