Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Map not showing the Controller to direction of the drone

djookenfold

Reaction score
Many times the mini map does not show the indicator for which direction the Controller is facing in relation to the drone, is this a common issue?

Same here, can't make head or tails of why it's sometimes shown and sometimes (most of the time) not shown !
Also Parrot should really have a "beeline" to the home point like DJI to help with orientation if need be.

Interesting to know its not just mine. When it appears to work it very useful, it could be argued that keeping line of sight would suffice, still better to be able to aim controller with great accuracy. So far unable to see a pattern of why it just stops working. Hopefully a fix will appear at some point.

Parrot uses the GPS on your phone to do this. Did you turn off GPS on your phone when this happened?

Parrot uses the GPS on your phone to do this. Did you turn off GPS on your phone when this happened?
Once the Anafi is flying I do not touch any phone settings. The issue sappers to happen randomly. It generally starts off ok but the direction indicators (beam) lines just disappears at some point during the flight.

Once the Anafi is flying I do not touch any phone settings. The issue sappers to happen randomly. It generally starts off ok but the direction indicators (beam) lines just disappears at some point during the flight.
Sadly I do not have an Anafi to test things out, but I have seen this with other drones. I have seen it specifically with iPhones, where the stupid GPS won't lock correctly and is going all over the place trying to identify where the phone is. This in turn makes the drone's app to lose your location, causing what you described above. In other words, your bird is fine. I would blame the phone as the culprit.

Sadly I do not have an Anafi to test things out, but I have seen this with other drones. I have seen it specifically with iPhones, where the stupid GPS won't lock correctly and is going all over the place trying to identify where the phone is. This in turn makes the drone's app to lose your location, causing what you described above. In other words, your bird is fine. I would blame the phone as the culprit.
Based on how stable the FF6 runs on my android, you may have point, most likely phone GPS loosing the plot

As far as I know, the magnetometer (compass) of your device is also used/needed for the correct mini map view.

As far as I know, the magnetometer (compass) of your device is also used/needed for the correct mini map view.
Possibly, however many phones no longer have a magnetometer, years ago virtually all smartphones did, but not the case anymore. I know this to be true when, two years ago researching for a new phone, I specifically needed one with a magnetometer so I could run a real compass as opposed AGPS which is what the majority of smartphones rely on these days as a compass, which is fine but you need to physically move with the phone before it will detect direction. With that in mind, FF6 should be able to work on phones without?. It would be nice to know for sure.

Hello,

New here but have you tried calibrating the controller - click on the controller icon on the home page of freeflight and follow instructions to calibrate the controller.

My understanding is that the controller itself has a compass!

Hello,

New here but have you tried calibrating the controller - click on the controller icon on the home page of freeflight and follow instructions to calibrate the controller.

Hadn't given that a thought, I'll give it a try, cheers.

Hello,

No, the SC3 has no compass and no GPS.

I was under the impression that the controller used the phone's gps and compass.

Well freeflight6 lets you calibrate the Magnetometer in the Skycontroller3, I did it when I first bought the Anafi. You get 3 bars showing X Y Z.

Sorry to add when I first powered up and connected the Skycontroller3 to my phone - the calibration button for the controller was red, so I had to do it before flying.

Hadn't given that a thought, I'll give it a try, cheers.

I just pulled my controller out (to make sure I am not going MAD!), you have to click on reset controller button, after which once the phone reconnect to the controller - the magnetometer calibration button will be red, and you can then calibrate the 3-axis.

I should point out I did this without my phone mounted on the controller using a long USB lead, as I 3 devices that I use with skycontroller3 - if you only have one device it might make more sense to mount the phone exactly how you use it before doing the calibration.

SC3 Calibration Screen shows Magnetometer Calibration. Wiki - "A magnetometer is a device that measures magnetism—the direction, strength, or relative change of a magnetic field at a particular location. The measurement of the magnetization of a magnetic material (like a ferromagnet) is an example. A compass is one such device, one that measures the direction of an ambient magnetic field, in this case, the Earth's magnetic field. " So that's a compass then, no?

Attachments

• 2019-08-15 14.59.30.png
    2019-08-15 14.59.30.png
    102 KB · Views: 16
I've had this same situation on several occasions, so I'll be trying out this magnetometer calibration at next flight.

Agustine, I don't think my phone needs any magnetometer calibration! Maybe it is calibrating to controller and the phone, however?

OK but are you actually calibrating the RC or the phone or tablet compass that you are using?
OK but are you actually calibrating the RC or the phone or tablet compass that you are using?
Sorry I don't understand?, as per the screen shot of Calibration page from FF6 it says "You are going to calibrate the Controller". Is it even possible for SC3 controller to access and calibrate a phone /tablet Magnetometer / compass, does anybody know?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schaefer73