Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Max transmission range

Totte

Reaction score
Hi!

I just bought a Anafi Thermal. In the manual it says "Max transmission range 4km".
I only get about 400 metres, then the signal is weak.
I tried some different places, but it is the same.

How long distance can you get?
Any solutions for the problem?

For the Anafi 4K this is the normal range. I think the Thermal has the same limits.
Possible improvements:
1. Using the modded app in this forum for always beeing in FCC mode
2. Trying to find another free WIFI channel with a WIFI analyzer app or choosing another band (5.8 GHz)
3. Flying in a less WIFI polluted area
4. Optimizing your position as pilot: higher location, no obstacles between drone and controller ...
5. Others ...

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.
Could you explain a little about the modded app and FCC mode, I am not familiar with that.
Where do you change to 5.8GHz?
Is it ff6_6.5.2_FCCMODE.apk I should use?

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks for the reply.
Could you explain a little about the modded app and FCC mode, I am not familiar with that.
Where do you change to 5.8GHz?
Is it ff6_6.5.2_FCCMODE.apk I should use?
Yes, you can use the app you mentioned from this thread:
If you are located in a country, that only allows CE mode (2.4 GHz: 100mW, 5.8 GHz: 25mW), for example in Europe, then this app allows to permanently use the FCC mode (2.4 GHz: 400mW, 5.8 GHz: 600mW).
In FCC mode a 2km range is realistic, depending on the surroundings.
You can switch between the 2 bands 2.4 and 5.8 GHz in the app settings: network, if you choose manual.

Thanks again.
Do I have to uninstall the original app befor I can use the modded app?

I should do some tests when the weather is better.

Here is the install guide from d2atc:

Understand the phrasing, maximum transmission range. It is not saying the typical or expected range. When you buy radio transmitters and receivers you are not making a deal with the gods or the laws of physics. You are not owed that maximum transmission range in normal use. That range is what you could expect if everything is in your favour, if there is nothing but clear air between the controller and the drone. In the real world it would be rare for circumstances to be that favourable. Also you need to be aware that if you did fly out to 4km away from the start position and fly back to it you would be consuming the majority of your battery power just to do so, it would not give much time over your target. People have managed to fly their Anafis out to 4km and bring them back to where they started from and done so without illegal modifications or flying illegally high either but it is a major challenge.
You should be able to do significantly better than 400 metres. Make sure you are pointing your controller in the right direction. Make sure you are flying high enough. If you are flying at 60 metres or so it is likely that there will be treetops in the way of the signal which will attenuate the signal significantly. Make sure you are standing out in the open, if there is a place to stand which is higher than the surroundings stand there.
Proof you can fly out to over 3km without modifications:-

Here is the install guide from d2atc:
Freeflight 6 mod app
FF6 6.5.2 FCC MODE ff6_6.5.2_FCCMODE.apk FF6 6.5.2 FCC & ALT MODE (use touch&fly waypoint or flight plan to fly over 150m) ff6_6.5.2_FCCALT.apk Just install this, then you'll always use FCC mode. This...
parrotpilots.com
parrotpilots.com

Hmm, don't find the install guide...

Understand the phrasing, maximum transmission range. It is not saying the typical or expected range. When you buy radio transmitters and receivers you are not making a deal with the gods or the laws of physics. You are not owed that maximum transmission range in normal use. That range is what you could expect if everything is in your favour, if there is nothing but clear air between the controller and the drone. In the real world it would be rare for circumstances to be that favourable. Also you need to be aware that if you did fly out to 4km away from the start position and fly back to it you would be consuming the majority of your battery power just to do so, it would not give much time over your target. People have managed to fly their Anafis out to 4km and bring them back to where they started from and done so without illegal modifications or flying illegally high either but it is a major challenge.
You should be able to do significantly better than 400 metres. Make sure you are pointing your controller in the right direction. Make sure you are flying high enough. If you are flying at 60 metres or so it is likely that there will be treetops in the way of the signal which will attenuate the signal significantly. Make sure you are standing out in the open, if there is a place to stand which is higher than the surroundings stand there.
Proof you can fly out to over 3km without modifications:-

I am maby not interested in to get 4 km, but a little longer than 400m.
And I should try som more flights when the weather allows.

I too would be frustrated if 400 metres was the typical range. I usually get much better than that but it always varies with terrain and competing signals. If you need to fly further than the transmission range seems to allow you can use Flight Plan to fly a pre-planned route even if you lose signal, even if you know for certain that you will lose signal.

Today I went out the furthest distance so far. I was taking video of a creek in the mountains that was fairly straight at about 300 AGL, 20 miles from the nearest possible interference source. The first flight went out about 1,600 meters before it turned a corner, at which point the weak signal bar showed up on the bottom of the screen. I hit RTH and it came back no problem.
I moved up the canyon and flew again from that point, and this time I got 2,200 meters out. However, I did not receive any warning, the connection was just lost immediately....black screen! :oops: I hit the RTH button immediately and spent two very anxious minutes waiting for a re-connection. It came back as expected after loss of signal and re-connected at about 1,500 meters. Still nearly gave me heart palpitations. I've seen several videos of this but having it happen to MY drone was a bit different! :cool:

I did one flight.
Free sight to the anafi, 80 meteres hieght, changed wifi channel, turned off wifi on tablet, airplane mode off (the same on my cellular phone) and pointed my controller in the right direction
Still about 400 meters.

Next test will be outside town.

Any more suggestions?

Something's not right, even in CE mode with direct LOS you should easily get 1+km unless you're around tons of houses with WiFi networks, where you should not be flying anyway.

It would be as well to give it the best possible chance, fly from a place where you can clearly see out across a stretch of flat land or water that extends further than you intend to fly. Don't fly it as far as you possibly can, just try to do much better than 400 metres. 2km should be perfectly safe. Of course the signal will become weaker as the distance increases, you don't need the maximum signal strength to control the drone, but if you have an unobstructed line of sight from a high point you should easily fly much more than 400 metres. Make sure ALL sources of radio signals are turned off or you keep your distance from them. If you put your phone into aircraft mode it should switch off WiFi and Bluetooth, but if you have a smartwatch or you are stood very close to somebody with a phone that can also affect your controller. Radio transmitters are very small these days and there can be WiFi, Bluetooth or both lurking in cameras, laptops, tablets and all sorts of things.

I did not receive any warning, the connection was just lost immediately....black screen! :oops: I hit the RTH button immediately and spent two very anxious minutes waiting for a re-connection. It came back as expected after loss of signal and re-connected at about 1,500 meters. Still nearly gave me heart palpitations. I've seen several videos of this but having it happen to MY drone was a bit different! :cool:

Welcome to The Dark Side.

Thanks for the replys and advises.
I should do some more tests later on.

So, I tried to fly again. Now outside town without any interference of wifi networks. or powerlines and so on.
The maximum distance was 600 meters, then the signal died. I have to press RTH-button.
I tried both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

So now I installed the modded app ff6_6.5.2_FCCMODE.apk.
Anyone who use it? Is it working fine?

Last edited:
You are not getting the range that you should get in CE mode. Why would changing this mode cure your problem? Your problem is not that you are not satisfied with the range that is possible in CE mode, your problem is that you are not getting that possible range.

Today I tried another flight. It was the conditions as:
- free sight to the anafi
- 80 meteres hieght, turned off wifi on tablet, airplane mode on
- pointed my controller in the right direction
- used the app ff6_6.5.2_FCCMODE.apk

I reached 1 km distance with full signal (could get further, but that test was enough for me).
Thats perfect for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thanev and zandoli

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320