Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MP4 Files Won't Play On Mac, but will on Windows????

Kuffdam

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I'm one of the people that had issues with an SD card bigger than 32gb - then managed to follow the instructions on how to format it and finally have the drone see and work with a 64gb SD.
Problem now is that I've flown the drone, captured some new footage and when I got home and connected the drone to my mac, the system said "can't read this disk"
I tried inserting the SD card to my mac and same issue, nothing I could do would allow me to access the card.

So next step, use my wives work laptop which does allow the SD card to work, transferred the footage to a USB stick and tried that in my mac.... perfect... or so I thought...

Next issue is that the 5 files all show as MP4 yet won't play on any program I have. QT, VLC etc etc.... I tried importing to Final Cut... nope..

So bought some software to convert the file, failed to load... last step, back to the windows machine and annoyingly the videos all play on Media Player....

So, I'm stuck, I'm almost at the point of returning the drone now, I'm so frustrated with all the constant issues from Parrot... SD card errors, files not working, its one thing after another and rather than just fly, video and create, I'm spending hours trying to just get the footage.

What do I do? any help?

Just after buying Anafi, I had a problem under MBP late 2011 to play the videos, whatever the software used... before I understood that my MBP was ' ' too old ' ' to play the videos filmed in 4Kc (and in 4K standard elsewhere). So I only filmed in 2.7 K, waiting to upgrade my Mac... Is your Mac recent (enough to play and edit 4Kc or 4K standard or powerfull enough to do so)?

Last edited:
On the other hand, I have no problem to edit or play 4Kc on iPad Pro 2018 !
In my opinion, it may just be a matter of power at the Mac hardware level.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I have no problem to edit or play 4Kc on iPad Pro 2018 !
In my opinion, it may just be a matter of power at the Mac hardware level.
It’s a 2018 5k iMac - it’s not a Mac hardware issue

I have a very old Mid 2011 iMac & it plays my 4K video perfectly well & even allows me to edit in FCPX. Even with only 512MB of VRAM!

Try downloading Perian & see if that assists things. To me, it sounds like the files haven't been written correctly in some way initially. That may well be something to do ith the formatting of the card initially. I have responded to you on your SD card response thread. Sort that first, see if things then work for you. If you are having greyed out formatting on the FF6 app, your SD card is not formatted correctly in the first instance.

I have a very old Mid 2011 iMac & it plays my 4K video perfectly well & even allows me to edit in FCPX. Even with only 512MB of VRAM!

Try downloading Perian & see if that assists things. To me, it sounds like the files haven't been written correctly in some way initially. That may well be something to do ith the formatting of the card initially. I have responded to you on your SD card response thread. Sort that first, see if things then work for you. If you are having greyed out formatting on the FF6 app, your SD card is not formatted correctly in the first instance.

Thanks so much, followed the details on formatting the card as MS-DOS and now the files are recording and saving perfectly

Very much appreciated

Reactions: Krusty Geeza

iMac ? but MBP 13" late 2011 without dedicated video card...no way ?
To edit 4K, it was cheaper to buy an iPad pro 2018 than a new Mac (It has also become my main device because of its power and portability. The Anafi USB-C transfer to the iPad pro is very fast and the iPad can even be used as an extra battery to charge the Anafi batteries if needed ?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Krusty Geeza

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut