Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My first video with VIRB edit

It's called Balaton. It's a huge lake, 22nd in whole Europe, and the largest in Central Europe to be exact with a 592km² area. It's a really nice place, especially around the summer.

What will happen if I prepare a flight plan and the Anafi - Controller wifi connection will be weak? Anafi will go forward on the planned path or stop and start the RTH?

The Anafi does just fine above water if you're flying 2-3m above the surface. I've flown many times over water, just make sure you're at least 3m above the surface, and you'll not have problem with it.
If you want to use Flightplan, then yes. The drone will do the path and stops at the last point (if you set it up that way) even if you lose connection during Flightplan
Put your last point at your location, so it'll come back where it started from.
The drone will cancel the Flightplan if there is not enough battery, and starts returning to home.
So:
Make sure the last point is at your location, so the drone will come home even if you completely lose connection, or something happens with the drone.
Make sure you're flying at least 3m above the water surface.
Make sure you're loading the correct Flightplan, otherwise the drone might just go somewhere else.

Reactions: BGabor
You will probably be better flying more than 3 metres above the water so any birds which are startled have space to fly into without crashing into the drone. A duck or goose colliding with the drone will result in a crash. When they have got to over 3 metres above the water they should have the skills to avoid hitting your drone.
I have done a flight plan over a lake which was at 12 metres, this was enough to go over the top of any yachts.

The controller will tell you that if the signal is lost the drone will return home. This is NOT TRUE in Flight Plan mode. The drone will continue with the flight plan providing it has enough battery to continue. If the drone decides that it cannot complete the flight plan without running out of battery power it will return to home directly. There is a possibility that it can use too much power on one leg and then not have enough power to complete the return to home. If that is the case all you can do is hope you are still in contact and can direct it to a safe place to land.

Always have the final point on your flight plan close to where you will be stood. You can start and finish a flight plan on the ground if you want to, I prefer to have the start and finish position about 20 metres away from where I intend to stand, up in the air, away from any trees or other obstacles. I once made the mistake of planning a giant long-range flight plan which would inevitably result in losing the signal but the final point on the flight plan was 1km away from where I was stood. I got away with it but it was a very stupid thing to do. The other reason to have the flight plan finish back where you are is that you can see how long it is likely to be in the air. If the plan says it will take 18 minutes don't do it! That will give you no margin for error. I try to keep all my flight plans down to 12 minutes or less.

When you start a flight plan it defaults to flying the legs between waypoints at 5 metres per second. I expect with a big lake to fly across you will want to select a higher speed. While the Anafi can reach 15 or even 18 metres per second the highest speed you can plan to fly is 11 metres per second. The normal RTH speed is about 10 metres per second.

Make sure you're loading the correct Flightplan, otherwise the drone might just go somewhere else.

Oh. My blood just ran cold at that thought. When you are not at the start position when you launch the drone just calculates the shortest distance there in 3D space and flies there directly. It looks really cool when it shoots off with the camera pointing one way the drone flying another, usually diagonally upwards. I tend to deliberately have the start and finish location in free space about champagne-cork range away so that I can launch it into the air, manoeuvre it clear of any trees then press the play button and see it shoot off to that first waypoint up at the cruising altitude. It wouldn't be so cool if it flew flat-out into a tree, or your head, trying to get to the last place you were flying.

I don't have an actual checklist before a flight, I just tend to take a few moments to go through a few thoughts such as is the battery at the level I need it for this flight plan, is the flight plan still the same as when I planned it etc. One thing to be aware of is how easy it is to accidentally add an extra waypoint just by grasping the phone. I have sometimes seen a really neat flight plan with a random green spur at the end as an extra waypoint is tacked on to a random undesired location at a suicidally low altitude and perhaps a hopelessly optimistic distance. Now I shall also be checking that I am about to take off from the right village, or county.

You can set a distance limit in the Settings just like one for altitude, so the drone won't go farther than that limit.
When you're in planning mode for Flightplan, this is highlighted on the map. The area which is farther than what you set is shown in red and you cannot place a waypoint in that red area, only in the normal, non-highlighted area.
I'm not sure if the drone would execute the flightplan, when the drone would go outside of the distance limit, I haven't tried it yet but I might try sometime.

@BGabor - nice flying and the telemetry overlays are really a nice "plus" for Parrot Drones. I miss that from my Bebop days...but I'm back with the Anafi now ;-)

You will probably be better flying more than 3 metres above the water so any birds which are startled have space to fly into without crashing into the drone. A duck or goose colliding with the drone will result in a crash. When they have got to over 3 metres above the water they should have the skills to avoid hitting your drone.
I have done a flight plan over a lake which was at 12 metres, this was enough to go over the top of any yachts.

The controller will tell you that if the signal is lost the drone will return home. This is NOT TRUE in Flight Plan mode. The drone will continue with the flight plan providing it has enough battery to continue. If the drone decides that it cannot complete the flight plan without running out of battery power it will return to home directly. There is a possibility that it can use too much power on one leg and then not have enough power to complete the return to home. If that is the case all you can do is hope you are still in contact and can direct it to a safe place to land.

Always have the final point on your flight plan close to where you will be stood. You can start and finish a flight plan on the ground if you want to, I prefer to have the start and finish position about 20 metres away from where I intend to stand, up in the air, away from any trees or other obstacles. I once made the mistake of planning a giant long-range flight plan which would inevitably result in losing the signal but the final point on the flight plan was 1km away from where I was stood. I got away with it but it was a very stupid thing to do. The other reason to have the flight plan finish back where you are is that you can see how long it is likely to be in the air. If the plan says it will take 18 minutes don't do it! That will give you no margin for error. I try to keep all my flight plans down to 12 minutes or less.

When you start a flight plan it defaults to flying the legs between waypoints at 5 metres per second. I expect with a big lake to fly across you will want to select a higher speed. While the Anafi can reach 15 or even 18 metres per second the highest speed you can plan to fly is 11 metres per second. The normal RTH speed is about 10 metres per second.

Thanks for the insight and nice flight...now is it me or do you sound like David Gilmour ? He's into flying too ;-)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Turbeville