Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ND filters that work with Anafi

mastix

Reaction score
I am having a problem finding any ND filters that work with the Anafi. I bought the Freewell Essential collection but unfortunatelly they don't work with the Anafi. The camera faces down when I have the filter on. It cannot stabilize the gimbal, don't know if it is because they are too heavy or any other reason. I try to push them all the way in as some suggested but with no success. Any other reliable brand that is known to work with Anafi. Right now this is a big issue with this drone and I plan to return it if they are no filters available. Thanks for your imput.

Are you putting them on before startup or after startup? Parrot recommends after but to use caution when fitting to the camera.

I put them before. Fitting them after has two risks. The initial calibration will be wrong as you now have added weight that is not taken into account and also touching the camera with the gimbal on can damage the motors easily if you are not extra careful.

"About ANAFI
ANAFI was designed and optimized to fly as is. Parrot therefore strongly discourages the use of any add-on or accessory which could be mounted on, or attached to ANAFI (motor covers, feet extensions, buoys, hulls, etc.). In addition to the overweight they carry for the drone and its motors, they can indeed magnetically disturb ANAFI and impair its communications.
ND filters, however, are not affected by this warning: filters can be used on ANAFI's lens, but Parrot recommends installing them carefully, after the drone’s gimbal initialization."

Thank you for the information. I will have to go this route till I find a set of filters that works before initialization. No NDs is no choice for me. And having to put them on and of carefully everytime I fly (independently of the possible damage to the gimbal) is really a nuissance. There are a lot of things I like of this Anafi vs my other two drones (Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Air) but faults like this have to be improved in the future if they want to gain better acceptance between drone pilots.

Well I guess I am one of the lucky ones that FreeWell Nd filters work on my Anafi. I pretty much run a ND4 most days and hardly ever take it off. Why some gimbals cannot initialize and others can I have no idea.
When they say installing carefully I would say not to ram the darn things on so tight that you put extra stress on the gimbal motors. Its really not needed.

You are lucky. Wish I had an Anafi with more tolerance to make it work. I have the option to return it and see if I hit the jackpot. In any case it seems more europeans are affected than americans by this "tolerance issue". You are right to be careful if you put it on when the drone is active. Unfortunatelly if you don't fit it right you run the risk to having it to fall off in the middle of the flight. Enjoy yours. Right now I am really pissed at mine.
Thank for your help and own experience.

I am having a problem finding any ND filters that work with the Anafi. I bought the Freewell Essential collection but unfortunatelly they don't work with the Anafi. The camera faces down when I have the filter on. It cannot stabilize the gimbal, don't know if it is because they are too heavy or any other reason. I try to push them all the way in as some suggested but with no success. Any other reliable brand that is known to work with Anafi. Right now this is a big issue with this drone and I plan to return it if they are no filters available. Thanks for your imput.

no problem filter weight. gimbal housing is not delicate.

Reactions: DroneKing
I put them before. Fitting them after has two risks. The initial calibration will be wrong as you now have added weight that is not taken into account and also touching the camera with the gimbal on can damage the motors easily if you are not extra careful.

Fact are no weight of filter. problem are gimbal structure!

Firmware is a factor in this.

On my first Anafi the gimbal couldn't be initialized with the Freewell filters. After updating the firmware the gimbal initialized properly with the filters on, so that was good. And then the motors cut out while it was flying above the ocean but on my second Anafi the gimbal always initialized properly with the filters.

Firmware is a factor in this.

On my first Anafi the gimbal couldn't be initialized with the Freewell filters. After updating the firmware the gimbal initialized properly with the filters on, so that was good. And then the motors cut out while it was flying above the ocean but on my second Anafi the gimbal always initialized properly with the filters.

my anafi already final update. so this phenomenon has nothing to do with firmware!

I have same case. now good condition !

Some things to make clear:
1. Of course the firmware has sth to do with the gimbal initialization fail (lets call this GIF) with most filters or the lens cap: the gimbal movements during it's initialization are done by firmware.

2. Main problem of GIF is a touch of most filter frames at the gimbal frame during this initialization. The distance between filter and gimbal frame are only parts of a mm, so some Anafis have problems, others not.

3. Getting the GIF problem also depends on how the filter is mounted: if Freewell filters are not completely pushed on the gimbal, the GIF will be there.

4. If you mount filters after gimbal initialization (as Parrot told us), then you don't have to fear a problem like GIF during your flight:
The certain gimbal movement that causes GIF during the initialization (gimbal pointing max. rear-down and to the right side) NEVER occurs during normal flight. So a GIF-similar problem will not happen while flying.

Reactions: KayKay

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut